• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2020 at 6:05 AM, SteveDuin said:

The Heritage book that caught my eye Thursday was a minor player, the Wings 11 Church. According to GPA, that Mile High sold in May 2012 for $4050. It was eventually resubmitted and scored a 9.8. And when it returned to the auction block eight years on, it sold for $3840.

I want to think that it's the rare pedigree Golden Age book -- and a 9.8 MH to boot -- that's actually lost value in the bull market of the last eight years. But maybe not.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.36.04 AM.png

Yes, are you just as surprised as me that it still managed to fetch so much money on the second go-round?  :devil:

Especially since I assume by your post that it must have gotten an upgrade from the last time that it sold for a slightly higher dollar value 8 years ago, especially since this is a sign that the book might possibly have been monkeyed around with in order to acheive the upgrade.  On the other hand since I am not sure what the book graded at when it sold for $4,080 and might have been nothing more than a straight resubmit with CGC simply undergrading the book on the first go-round.  (shrug)

Unlike more recent books which are easier to hide since there are so many uber HG copies floating around whereby the CGC generation of collectors tend to dig a little deeper for higher graded labels, this is not necessarily done when it comes to the GA books where it seems to be less about the label and more about the underlying book itself.  If this CGC 9.8 graded copy was a slightly lower graded copy on the first go-round, it's relatively easy for any potential bidder who was aware of the 2012 sale to know that this higher graded copy is exactly the same book and would then assume that it was simply "juiced up" in order to get the higher grade. hm

In this above scenario here which we have seen many times before, the higher grade label doesn't necessarily always translate into a higher price for the book.  doh!

But that sure is an absolutely stunning and eye-popping orange beauty of a cover here.  :luhv:  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

I'm probably very late to the party here but was curious to gather opinions.  Unverified Stan Lee sig on this one but still, very high in my opinion.  Can someone explain this to me?  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-96169.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

2 hours ago, Vince G said:

I'm probably very late to the party here but was curious to gather opinions.  Unverified Stan Lee sig on this one but still, very high in my opinion.  Can someone explain this to me?  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-96169.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

You are not the only one scratching your head about that one,

31 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

2 involved here.  Who’s the underbidder. What if heritage never gets paid.  Maybe we have 2 guys up to no good

+1

as @Foolkiller pointed out in the Silver thread, with several superior copies currently available that are being offered for much less, one can only suspect shill bidding on this one.

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:
6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

2 involved here.  Who’s the underbidder. What if heritage never gets paid.  Maybe we have 2 guys up to no good

+1

as @Foolkiller pointed out in the Silver thread, with several superior copies currently available that are being offered for much less, one can only suspect shill bidding on this one.

So, I imagine it's a slightly different situation from the March Signature Auction whereby the owner supposedly brought back the CGC 9.4 graded copy themselves at the $795K price point?  hm  (shrug)

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

+1

A post from yours truly taken from the SA thread which you mentioned just above:  :bigsmile:

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Who really knows and is it possible that Steve and Jim simply got their wires crossed and thought that each of them alone was supposed to be shill bidding on the book and did not realize that the other one was also mistakenly shill bidding the book at the same time.  :devil:

By the time they realized what was happening, it was already too late as it was at the $66K price point with the juice built in there.  doh!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:
9 hours ago, Vince G said:

Must be the new entry level price for a 4.5 :flipbait:

Very strong.   Perhaps someone appreciated the lack of marvel chipping and the Stan Lee signature that wasn’t a disaster, across spidey’s face and in marker ?

20 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Must be the new entry level price for a 4.5 :flipbait:

That was an astronomically hammer price for sure. Now, if that was a legit Ditko sig on the splash/combo Lee & Ditko sigs, then by all means bid excessively. Otherwise, it's a $30k - $35k copy at best, even with a common Stan sig. It's a head scratcher for sure. 

Edited by Primetime

On 5/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought prices were a little weak on many books, but the Marvel Mystery 71 shocked me. Somebody really wanted that particular copy. I don't think that result will be duplicated any time soon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-71-timely-1946-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7229-92058.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Not too surprising.  That’s one of the best Torch post-war Schomburg covers that isn’t airbrushed or combating klan villainy.  The book has white PQ and the HA scan colors really popped, Is this book as nice in hand? Who knows, ...that’ll be the $10,000 question.

I’m more curious about the underbidder.   I’d like to buy him/her a fine Chimay Grand Reserve Trappist ale at my local watering hole as consolation for going toe to toe for that book, ...unless bidder number two is a shill account.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, batman_fan said:

The only thing that explains that price is someone with a serious mummy fetish.

That’s one hot mummy dearest.  

One thing for sure, I doubt the new owner will be complaining about the wrap on this book.  :wink:

On 5/1/2020 at 9:05 AM, SteveDuin said:

The Heritage book that caught my eye Thursday was a minor player, the Wings 11 Church. According to GPA, that Mile High sold in May 2012 for $4050. It was eventually resubmitted and scored a 9.8. And when it returned to the auction block eight years on, it sold for $3840.

I want to think that it's the rare pedigree Golden Age book -- and a 9.8 MH to boot -- that's actually lost value in the bull market of the last eight years. But maybe not.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.36.04 AM.png

I'm reasonably sure I was the underbidder on that in 2012 so the price shows only my upper limit on the book.  I think I was hoping for something like $3500 on it.  I'm amazed it sold for nearly what it did in 2012.

I had some of my last holdouts in this recent auction and the results were dismal.  I think I lost money on all the books but one and that one as an SA key.

41 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not too surprising.  That’s one of the best Torch post-war Schomburg covers that isn’t airbrushed or combating klan villainy.  The book has white PQ and the HA scan colors really popped, Is this book as nice in hand? Who knows, ...that’ll be the $10,000 question.

I’m more curious about the underbidder.   I’d like to buy him/her a fine Chimay Grand Reserve Trappist ale at my local watering hole as consolation for going toe to toe for that book, ...unless bidder number two is a shill account.

That’s one hot mummy dearest.  

One thing for sure, I doubt the new owner will be complaining about the wrap on this book.  :wink:

No wire hangers !

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That’s one of the best Torch post-war Schomburg covers that isn’t airbrushed or combating klan villainy.

Sez who?

1 minute ago, buttock said:
3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Sez who?

The 5 qualifiers isn't enough to sway you?

I have one, and I don't think it is even in the top six of the late number Schomburg Marvel Mystery covers. 67,68,69,70,74,and 76 are better...and 86 is just way cooler. That doesn't include postwar Human Torch, All Select and All Winners covers.

mm71.jpg

It is even doubtful that this was the best Schomburg cover for Marvel Mystery 71. I am sure he had a killer first choice cover for that month, but accidentally sent in this alternate from his "discarded cover" pile.