• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

My views may differ a bit with the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting.

What is the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting as far as you can tell?  ???

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What is the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting as far as you can tell?  ???

My sense is that many folks would prefer no restoration if it meant a universal holder over professional work involving leaf casting and a much higher apparent grade/label.  

That perception may be incorrect, but if it isn't I'm totally fine sharing the minority viewpoint.

Totally agree but would you take a lower grade restored (extensive) book with slightly brittle pages and have massive leafcasting work done just to get an higher grade ?  Depends on the book of course but i would keep the lower grade with the slightly brittle pages book as it is ,unless it was crumbling away. 

Halfway through this thread some people have mentioned the Detroit trolley collection with some pics of the comics they purchased. Does anybody still have a copy of the price list that Marnin had/sent out for the comics from this collection. I am particularly interested in the More Fun's he had for sale.(thumbsu       

July auction - some highlights

Superman #1 CGC 5.0
Superman #1 CGC 6.0 (A-5)
Superman #1 CBCS 5.0 Ext Amateur

Wonder Woman #1 CGC VF 8.0
Detective Comics #37 CGC VF+ 8.5

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 7.0
Captain America Comics #3 CGC 5.0

All Star Comics #8 CGC 5.0
All Star Comics #8 CGC 4.0

Batman #4 CGC NM- 9.2
Superman #6 Central Valley CGC 9.0
Marvel Mystery Comics #48 San Francisco Pedigree CGC NM 9.4
Mystic Comics #9 CGC VF 8.0

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

July auction - some highlights

Superman #1 CGC 5.0
Superman #1 CGC 6.0 (A-5)
Superman #1 CBCS 5.0 Ext Amateur

Wonder Woman #1 CGC VF 8.0
Detective Comics #37 CGC VF+ 8.5

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 7.0
Captain America Comics #3 CGC 5.0

All Star Comics #8 CGC 5.0
All Star Comics #8 CGC 4.0

Batman #4 CGC NM- 9.2
Superman #6 Central Valley CGC 9.0
Marvel Mystery Comics #48 San Francisco Pedigree CGC NM 9.4
Mystic Comics #9 CGC VF 8.0

The all star 8 Cgc 5.0 and 4.0 are too similar to be in the same auction (eye appeal and grade)

On 5/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Supes 1 just continue to show up 

I guess this must mean that it's actually much more common than even Bat 1 or Cap 1 then.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Was taking an initial look at the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction and was wondering if a book with a detached centerfold should really grade as high as CGC 7.0:  ???

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F2%2F4%2F22424395%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Makes me kind of wonder how high the book would have graded if the centerfold had been attached to the rest of the book.  hm

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:
3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Does CGC downgrade because of a detached CF ?

my understanding is yes but that book looks a bit on the weak side to get a grade bump from a "tuck job"

Well, how can any of us forget all about the Church copy of Boy Comics 17 which went from a grade of CGC 4.0 up to CGC 7.5 and then finally up to CGC 9.0, all while residing in a blue Universal unrestored label.  :gossip:

Especially when Borock explained the upgrade was due to pages that were not attached properly through his statement that "disassembly and reassembly of a comic book, in and of itself, does not constitute restoration".  hm   :whatthe:

So Peter, from the grading changes seen on the Church copy of Boy Comics 17, I imagine CGC does indeed downgrade (or did, but not anymore???) rather severly for detached pages.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

This book is coming up in the next Heritage event auction, and I can’t make sense of the label. I’ve seen books where the centerfold is detached. I’ve seen books where the “2 center wraps (are) detached). I’ve never seen a book where the “center wrap and page 15 (are) detached”. I can’t get it out of my head that the book was disassembled at one point for reasons unknown. I cannot picture how else some random page becomes separated while the folios both before and after remain attached. 

has anyone ever seen this? (Btw: I’m going to find some restoration thread somewhere here on the boards and cross post). Any responses would be sincerely appreciated 

EC26AE21-C7DA-4504-A524-CBCFD9CC569D.jpeg