• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This book is coming up in the next Heritage event auction, and I can’t make sense of the label. I’ve seen books where the centerfold is detached. I’ve seen books where the “2 center wraps (are) detached). I’ve never seen a book where the “center wrap and page 15 (are) detached”. I can’t get it out of my head that the book was disassembled at one point for reasons unknown. I cannot picture how else some random page becomes separated while the folios both before and after remain attached. 

has anyone ever seen this? (Btw: I’m going to find some restoration thread somewhere here on the boards and cross post). Any responses would be sincerely appreciated 

EC26AE21-C7DA-4504-A524-CBCFD9CC569D.jpeg

Most likely, this is one of those books with an odd page count (60 pages, including covers), with 16 pages in the front half of the book and 12 pages in the back half of the book.  So it would have four "extra", single-page "wraps" in the front half of the book, rather than the typical GA book that would have an equal number of pages in the front/back half of the book.  

49 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Most likely, this is one of those books with an odd page count (60 pages, including covers), with 16 pages in the front half of the book and 12 pages in the back half of the book.  So it would have four "extra", single-page "wraps" in the front half of the book, rather than the typical GA book that would have an equal number of pages in the front/back half of the book.  

That’s it! I just pulled a 1943 book down at random(see below). It’s got the 16 pages on the first half of the book(counting up to where the staples occur inside the book) and 12 on the back half. The page immediately preceding the center wrap is NOT A FULL WRAP. It’s only a page. And it’s the . . . (Wait for it) . . . 15th page. Mystery solved. 

you are a steely eyed comic man, Action252Kid

6D0BD6CB-FF9B-4350-B218-9E4C1DEBBF14.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Maybe it’s simply out of sheer boredom, but I’m pretty stoked about the auction ending Thursday. I’ve got about a dozen trackers down and am high bidder on a book. It’s sitting at about 60% of what it should go for, and my bid stops at 85% of what is should go for. Some books, like the Cap 3s, look to be only at 20% of what they should go for. That low grade Tec 31 is getting more attention than I anticipated.

what observations have the rest of you got, if any?

32 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

what observations have the rest of you got, if any?

Lot of GA and even SA books are sitting well below FMV atm, but we're still 5 days out before live bidding ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Some books, like the Cap 3s, look to be only at 20% of what they should go for.

Still early, but they definitely are trending a lot lower than what they have been selling for recently and would not be a good sign if bidding doesn't pick up.  :(

Then again, it's never a good idea to have 2 copies of the exact same book competing against each other in the same auction.  Noticed that I received an email earlier with a complete description change for the higher graded Eldon copy of Cap 3.  Looks like this description was probably rewritten by the consignor themselves as they might not have been happy that it is trending lower than the lower graded copy.  Nowhere close to the finish line, but a bit puzzling and the new description is more of a rewritten sales pitch for the Eldon copy as it is not in the typical Heritage jargon.  hm

Anybody else noticed that there sure seems to be a lot of "Centerfold Detached" books lately which both of these Cap 3's have.  Wonder if it's got anything with the rather agressive way that they apparently do their page count as that video indicate not the greatest or gentlest care is taken when they perform this activity.  :devil:  :mad:  :censored:

17 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Anybody else noticed that there sure seems to be a lot of "Centerfold Detached" books lately which both of these Cap 3's have. 

I dunno. Could be worse . . .

C81D7477-DB43-437C-B9E5-0672FF049D14.jpeg

Is that even an issue ? When you have a total of only 54 Universal graded copies (7 of which fall under 1.0 and lower grades), one shouldn't be too picky and consider himself lucky to own one.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is that even an issue ? When you have a total of only 54 Universal graded copies (7 of which full under 1.0 and lower grades), one shouldn't be picky and consider himself lucky to own one.

Of course you are right @Gotham Kid. Personally my predictions are $65k and $45k for these books

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is that even an issue ? When you have a total of only 54 Universal graded copies (7 of which fall under 1.0 and lower grades), one shouldn't be too picky and consider himself lucky to own one.

I dunno, ...I’m feeling rather detached myself.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, Action252Kid said:

Yes, sometimes those half-wraps are cut a little close to the margin in manufacturing and the staple misses the page, or just barely attaches it.

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is that even an issue ? When you have a total of only 54 Universal graded copies (7 of which full under 1.0 and lower grades), one shouldn't be picky and consider himself lucky to own one.

Of course you are right @Gotham Kid. Personally my predictions are $65k and $45k for these books

Not sure if they'll be able to hit those numbers on this go round since that's an awfully long way to climb from where they are right now (i.e. $13,800 & $11,700 respectively).  (shrug)

Especially since this lower graded of the two copies at CGC 5.0 has 2 rusty staples that appears to be migrating into the paper:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F8%2F7%2F22487293%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like this description was probably rewritten by the consignor themselves as they might not have been happy that it is trending lower than the lower graded copy.

I think that's a positive indicator.  It shows that there are genuinely interested buyers who are playing it extremely close to the vest during this online bidding stage.  

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm probably as uninterested in the offerings in this Signature auction as I've been in a while.

Has the sun already set on this book? 30 years ago this would have garnered much more attention. . .

FE97B609-8457-4548-BFA8-60AD1002BEDF.jpeg

Maybe there's just a big aversion to the third issues in this particular auction since both of the Cap 3 books are also not drawing much interest to date.  :bigsmile:

Well, hopefully this copy here should be able to hit 5-figures since CC had a lower condition CGC 7.5 graded copy that sold into the 5-figures over a year ago. :wishluck:

Likewise, it looks like the Cap 3's need to move up quite a bit if they want to even get into the $20K+ price range that the restored PLOD copies in the CGC 4.0 to 6.0 grade range sold for during the past couple of years.  (thumbsu

Not sure if it's the big slowdown which @Mmehdy  had been alluding to in his Financial Crisis/Coronavirus thread as these bids on all these books sure seems rather tepid so far to say the least.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

With the stock market kind of teetering on the edge (although seemingly looking strong with a cursory glance at the popular indicators)  I’m wondering if big buyers aren’t being more cautious with early bids than normal.

As long as we don’t have a big crash I suspect these books will see big jumps on auction day.l, and end up where they’re expected to.