• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:
13 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Has the sun already set on this book? 30 years ago this would have garnered much more attention. . .

FE97B609-8457-4548-BFA8-60AD1002BEDF.jpeg

No, this book will move up at to the 5 digit range for sure 

It's such a great book that a 8.5 copy should go for 6 figures, in my opinion.

On 6/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, batman_fan said:
On 6/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Does CGC downgrade because of a detached CF ?

my understanding is yes but that book looks a bit on the weak side to get a grade bump from a "tuck job"

Not sure a staple tuck will work with the Eldon Cap #3.

In addition to the back-cover pigmentation loss, seems the face job procedure caused complications that may well inhibit any follow-on cosmetic work.

CAC-3_6.5_FRONT.jpg.07e8f147af69471c3f77aaf0b128f9c2.jpgCAC-3_7.0_FRONT.jpg.1a0aa5a67718a2353b10daa4f06e8beb.jpg

CAC-3_6.5_BACK.jpg.5f995660d66aee9216326f5b973aa5fd.jpgCAC-3_7.0_BACK.jpg.dcadcad911b96b5471a2650398122144.jpg

@MasterChief you found it! The before image. Your efforts must have been complicated by the fact that the “before” image of the Cap 3 was not designated an Eldon book. Great job! Now we can see what really happened. Yes, this book underwent spine realignment. The front cover image improved, but the back cover image paid the price AND the pressing caused the centerfold to detach. How did this go to a 7.0??!!

Thanks, MC

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@MasterChief you found it! The before image. Your efforts must have been complicated by the fact that the “before” image of the Cap 3 was not designated an Eldon book. Great job! Now we can see what really happened. Yes, this book underwent spine realignment. The front cover image improved, but the back cover image paid the price AND the pressing caused the centerfold to detach. How did this go to a 7.0??!!

Thanks, MC

Man I love this hobby! 

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks, MC

So the book went to the chiropractor before going to the plastic surgeon 

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Your efforts must have been complicated by the fact that the “before” image of the Cap 3 was not designated an Eldon book.

Well, Eldon made it a little bit easier by "designating" the book himself just under the 10 cents price tag  :takeit: instead of having CGC do it.  lol

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:
16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, but you have a very well documented bias 

I agree completely with Tim...and my bias is less clear.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
16 hours ago, batman_fan said:
16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, but you have a very well documented bias 

I would have to concur with all of you here.  (thumbsu

Whatever Fishler's old grading system was in terms of wherever a 34 to 36 fell, I think that is most definitely a 6-figure book.  :bigsmile:

13 minutes ago, MasterChief said:
5 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Man I love this hobby! 

I would rather have the 6.5 any day. Not even close.

Agreed. Whoever worked over that book is a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces. The Eldon 6.5 was beautiful, nothing wrong with it. Patinated with age, it presented an appreciation for natural preservation signified by time and the book's ability to stand its tests. Now recycled and remade. It exhibits an artificial look manufactured by a flipper who damaged the object of age with wantonness greed.

Just wondering if anybody here can explain the financial rationale of taking one of these easily identifiable GA books and throwing in a bunch of expensive work onto your initial cost just to get a measly tiny 0.5 grade increment on the book?  Especially when we have seen time and time again that this has definitely not paid off for whoever has decided to take this huge risk as GA collectors oftentimes don't tend to pay more for tiny grade increments, unlike some of the more recent BA and CA books where it's so much more about the grade.  ???

Since it's still sitting at under $10K, I highly doubt it's going to move up far enough to hit the $55,500 mark which he had to forked over for the book in the first place in one of the CC Event auctions back a couple of years ago.  Especially when you have take into account all of the additional ancillary fees to get this done including the restoration costs, grading fees, HA commissions fees, etc.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Agreed. Whoever worked over that book is a jack@ss. The Eldon 6.5 was beautiful, nothing wrong with it. Patinated with age, it presented an appreciation for natural preservation signified by time and the book's ability to stand its tests. Now recycled and remade. It exhibits an artificial look manufactured by a flipper who damaged the object of age with wantonness greed.

Well, I look at the two scans, and I hate to say it but I like the 7.0 better.   Most all of the back cover defects are just as present on the 6.5 but can't be seen as easily because of what appears to be a huge difference in the color saturation of the scans.   It seems like all that's really changed is that the book has become better centered and in the process flaked a small amount of color on the back cover.   In hand I'm not sure its really changed much.    But you clearly know more about this than I do.   

That being said, I certainly hate that this is being done and find 'facejobs' offensive.

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just wondering if anybody here can explain the financial rationale of taking one of these easily identifiable GA books and throwing in a bunch of expensive work onto your initial cost just to get a measly tiny 0.5 grade increment on the book?  Especially when we have seen time and time again that this has definitely not paid off for whoever has decided to take this huge risk as GA collectors oftentimes don't tend to pay more for tiny grade increments, unlike some of the more recent BA and CA books where it's so much more about the grade.  ???

Since it's still sitting at under $10K, I highly doubt it's going to move up far enough to hit the $55,500 mark which he had to forked over for the book in the first place in one of the CC Event auctions back a couple of years ago.  Especially when you have take into account all of the additional ancillary fees to get this done including the restoration costs, grading fees, HA commissions fees, etc.  :tonofbricks:

you may be falsely assuming someone is spending big bucks on getting the book worked on. It could be owned by the person doing the work.  I also think people know a lot of people buy based on the number on the label not the book 

36 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

That’s not true !  You have an even longer and well documented bias 

In the interest of transparency my bias is that I consigned the 8.5 Mystery Men #3. So let's bid that beautiful book up to six figures.

28 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

you may be falsely assuming someone is spending big bucks on getting the book worked on. It could be owned by the person doing the work.  I also think people know a lot of people buy based on the number on the label not the book 

So, are you saying that this book is going to sell for somewhere north of $60K or do you think the book might also be owned by the auction company, hence no auction commission fees either?  :devil: