• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bronty said:
5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Agreed. Whoever worked over that book is a jack@ss. The Eldon 6.5 was beautiful, nothing wrong with it. Patinated with age, it presented an appreciation for natural preservation signified by time and the book's ability to stand its tests. Now recycled and remade. It exhibits an artificial look manufactured by a flipper who damaged the object of age with wantonness greed.

Well, I look at the two scans, and I hate to say it but I like the 7.0 better.   Most all of the back cover defects are just as present on the 6.5 but can't be seen as easily because of what appears to be a huge difference in the color saturation of the scans.   It seems like all that's really changed is that the book has become better centered and in the process flaked a small amount of color on the back cover.   In hand I'm not sure its really changed much.    But you clearly know more about this than I do.   

That being said, I certainly hate that this is being done and find 'facejobs' offensive.

I've read your copy down through the years and you're no mock-up of a learned hobbyist. I've always appreciated your perspective on things -- no matter the subject of discussion. (thumbsu

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since it's still sitting at under $10K, I highly doubt it's going to move up far enough to hit the $55,500 mark which he had to forked over for the book in the first place in one of the CC Event auctions back a couple of years ago. 

:wishluck:

On 7/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, batman_fan said:

So the book went to the chiropractor before going to the plastic surgeon 

English is my second language, so can I clarify that "chiropractor" is what you call this guy?

Sewa Mobil Lombok GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY 

18 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In the interest of transparency my bias is that I consigned the 8.5 Mystery Men #3. So let's bid that beautiful book up to six figures.

Ok I’m now the high bidder. Who’s got the brass to take it from me?

Beuller . . .Beuller . . . ?

image.gif.22e41969f239da3e97880d545d9f3ffa.gif

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In the interest of transparency my bias is that I consigned the 8.5 Mystery Men #3. So let's bid that beautiful book up to six figures.

Ok I’m now the high bidder. Who’s got the brass to take it from me?

Well, I am quite sure that Richard thanks you for your bid, but we all hope that there's still an extra zero in your max bid at the far right end just waiting to be activated.  :bigsmile:

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I am quite sure that Richard thanks you for your bid, but we all hope that there's still an extra zero in your max bid at the far right end just waiting to be activated.  :bigsmile:

Spoiler alert: I do not expect to win

21 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I also think people know a lot of people buy based on the number on the label not the book 

Well, try telling that to the buyer of the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action 13 who paid $156K to acquire it:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

and then managed to get it upgraded to CGC 9.2 which tied it as the highest graded copy, but then only managed to sell it for $166K a year later which no doubt represented a loss after taking in the ancillary slabbing and auction commission fees.  :tonofbricks:

My thinking is that a fresh to market CGC 9.2 graded copy would probably had fetch closer to $250K in the marketplace, especially considering that the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City copy was able to fetch $185K in a CC Event Auction way back in 2011 when the book was guiding for only $30K back then, as opposed to the current $190K top of guide valuation when the above copy sold for only $166K.  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, try telling that to the buyer of the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action 13 who paid $156K to acquire it:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

and then managed to get it upgraded to CGC 9.2 which tied it as the highest graded copy, but then only managed to sell it for $166K a year later which no doubt represented a loss after taking in the ancillary slabbing and auction commission fees.  :tonofbricks:

My thinking is that a fresh to market CGC 9.2 graded copy would probably had fetch closer to $250K in the marketplace, especially considering that the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City copy was able to fetch $185K in a CC Event Auction way back in 2011 when the book was guiding for only $30K back then, as opposed to the current $190K top of guide valuation when the above copy sold for only $166K.  hm

You win some, you lose some.  The Marvel Comics 1 that got the treatment did quite well.  Bigger pop on the grade though.  Maybe the mechanic that worked on this Action was hoping for a 9.4.

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

You win some, you lose some.  The Marvel Comics 1 that got the treatment did quite well.  Bigger pop on the grade though.  Maybe the mechanic that worked on this Action was hoping for a 9.4.

Wasn't the Marvel Comics 1 gone from the matketplace for well over a decade or something like that since its last prior sale?  ???

If so, the GA marketplace has definitely had an almost exponential change in valuation in that time period and it's really hard to tell what portion of that increase is due to the actual increase in the value of the book itself, as opposed to just the bump up in the grade then.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wasn't the Marvel Comics 1 gone from the matketplace for well over a decade or something like that since its last prior sale?  ???

If so, the GA marketplace has definitely had an almost exponential change in valuation in that time period and it's really hard to tell what portion of that increase is due to the actual increase in the value of the book itself, as opposed to just the bump up in the grade then.  (shrug)

You don't think it was a strong price for an 8.5?

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

You don't think it was a strong price for an 8.5?

Well, not quite as strong as the 8.0 condition copy of Action Comics 1 that sold for $3.2M in 2014 or well before the GA explosion in prices.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

well, this will be messed up if things don’t change by tomorrow. The lower grade Cap 3 waiting for a facelift is getting more bids than the higher grade Cap 3 that’s already had theirs. There be sharks out there, matey

1E6B2259-ED89-476E-9B11-9C916395537E.jpeg

I haven't bid yet lol

33 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I haven't bid yet lol

Neither have I.

Well, it looks like everybody else must also be following your  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: strategy since it looks like nobody has really bidded in the past week.  

If not, then poor old @GreatCaesarsGhost  just might get stuck with the "facejob" copy of Cap 3 at these bargain basement prices.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like everybody else must also be following your  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: strategy since it looks like nobody has really bidded in the past week.  

If not, then poor old @GreatCaesarsGhost  just might get stuck with the "facejob" copy of Cap 3 at these bargain basement prices.  lol  :takeit:

It does seem unusually slow,  right? 

I'm tracking some lower $$ GA with very little activity. 

Of course, I seem to get excited every auction and consistently get outbid at the last minute,  which I'm sure will be the case here.