• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

AS8 not so hot anymore

Capture.thumb.JPG.5a83c687a5df9f03bf3152f8107e9d7e.JPG

Definitely the case, but then as I've said many times before in the past, it's never good for the consignors when an auction house have multiple copies of the same book up for sale in the same auction.  hm  :(

Looks like Heritage decided to triple down on it this time by having 3 different copies of All-Star 8 up for sale in this same auction here.  doh!

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Didn’t this copy have decent eye appeal?

Yes. The Cap 1 3.5 cover image was strong. The back spine looked off to me, however. Three small horizontal tears from the back cover, running 1/4” to 1/2”. I wondered about spine repositioning, as in the Eldon Cap 3(which, btw went for $53k - about what it would have been worth in its original 6.5 holder, IMO).

I was the underbidder on the Cap 1. The book went for probably $96k when BP and taxes are applied. It’s a good price for that book. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes. The Cap 1 3.5 cover image was strong. The back spine looked off to me, however. Three small horizontal tears from the back cover, running 1/4” to 1/2”. I wondered about spine repositioning, as in the Eldon Cap 3(which, btw went for $53k - about what it would have been worth in its original 6.5 holder, IMO).

I was the underbidder on the Cap 1. The book went for probably $96k when BP and taxes are applied. It’s a good price for that book. 

That was actually a really nice price given previous hammer prices.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely the case, but then as I've said many times before in the past, it's never good for the consignors when an auction house have multiple low to mid-grade copies of the same book up for sale in the same auction.  hm  :(

Looks like Heritage decided to triple down on it this time by having 3 different copies of All-Star 8 up for sale in this same auction here.  doh!

Fixed that for you.  (thumbsu

From my perspective it probably wouldn’t matter whether it was All Star or All Winners.  High grade copies are mostly AWOL.  If there aren’t enough high grade copies in an auction to elicit deeper pocket competitive interest, it tends to drive down overall participation.  It’s also worth noting that Heritage’s move to a bi-monthly schedule makes it less of an “event” than when it was quarterly (that should be factored in).  It also places pressure on them to come up with the “goods” on a tighter schedule. 

Also, there’s no way to foresee how individual bidders will respond in the midst of a pandemic. Timing is everything, and I have to say this may not have been the best time for them to change a working formula.

Assuming cabin fever will keep more eyes focused on live auctions is logical, but takes a lot for granted. It’s just as likely that various personal factors impact participation including reticence to spend due to a volatile, unpredictable economy.  Some folks may be holding onto funds or at least paying more attention to family necessities than collecting.  

Note and caveat: These factors won’t impact everything, of course, and mileage will vary depending on current interest in specific books. These are just a few things worth considering respecting market changes in our otherwise insular collecting world. :foryou:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The Ghost 2 sat at a low price for quite some time, then jumped.

I put in a laughable 1100 bid on it a day ago because it looked so neglected.  Little did I know that’d be less than 10 percent of the final price...

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely the case, but then as I've said many times before in the past, it's never good for the consignors when an auction house have multiple copies of the same book up for sale in the same auction.  hm  :(

Are you able to pull your book after signing a contract if you see multiples will be an issue ? 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:59 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Has the sun already set on this book? 30 years ago this would have garnered much more attention. . .

FE97B609-8457-4548-BFA8-60AD1002BEDF.jpeg

Ended a hair under 20K.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I wonder how they will look in person.

Let us know?

I assume very nice, but  substantially less vibrant and more orangey than the enhanced red scans make them look.

Just now, szav said:
5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I wonder how they will look in person.

Let us know?

I assume very nice, but  substantially less vibrant and more orangey than the enhanced red scans make them look.

I can adjust my scanner settings so they retain their vibrancy.

15 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Are you able to pull your book after signing a contract if you see multiples will be an issue ? 

You can certainly have them move it to a later auction.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
On 7/5/2020 at 4:59 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Has the sun already set on this book? 30 years ago this would have garnered much more attention. . .

FE97B609-8457-4548-BFA8-60AD1002BEDF.jpeg

Ended a hair under 20K.

My own personal thinking was that this copy of the much in demand Mystery Men 3 would go for north of $20K myself.  (shrug)

Might we just see it reappear in another auction during more favorable (i.e. non pandemic) times and then see it go for a stronger price?  Reminds me a bit of the CGC 8.0 VF copy of the equally much in demand Wonderworld 7 which some astute buyer picked up for some $16K+ in one of the Heritage Signature Auctions a few years ago and then was able to successfully flipped it for $22K+ in a CC Event Auction several short months later.  hm

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

My own personal thinking was that this copy of the much in demand Mystery Men 3 would go for north of $20K myself.  (shrug)

Might we just see it reappear in another auction during more favorable (i.e. non pandemic) times and then see it go for a stronger price?  Reminds me a bit of the CGC 8.0 VF copy of the equally much in demand Wonderworld 7 which some astute buyer picked up for some $16K+ in one of the Heritage Signature Auctions a few years ago and then was able to successfully flipped it for $22K+ in a CC Event Auction several short months later.  hm

Great question. In my opinion, someday in the future this book here will be offered for sale again, and it will definitely sell for more or less than it did this time around.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:54 AM, batman_fan said:
On 7/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, lou_fine said:

Just wondering if anybody here can explain the financial rationale of taking one of these easily identifiable GA books and throwing in a bunch of expensive work onto your initial cost just to get a measly tiny 0.5 grade increment on the book?  Especially when we have seen time and time again that this has definitely not paid off for whoever has decided to take this huge risk as GA collectors oftentimes don't tend to pay more for tiny grade increments, unlike some of the more recent BA and CA books where it's so much more about the grade.  ???

Since it's still sitting at under $10K, I highly doubt it's going to move up far enough to hit the $55,500 mark which he had to forked over for the book in the first place in one of the CC Event auctions back a couple of years ago.  Especially when you have take into account all of the additional ancillary fees to get this done including the restoration costs, grading fees, HA commissions fees, etc.  :tonofbricks:

you may be falsely assuming someone is spending big bucks on getting the book worked on. It could be owned by the person doing the work.  I also think people know a lot of people buy based on the number on the label not the book 

Well, looks like it came close at the end, but not surprisingly (at least to me), it's still no cigar as it finished up at only $52,800.  :(

Not sure how much the consignor had to spend on the "facejob" and any other resto work that might have been performed on the book.  So, even if they got the resto work done for free and didn't have to pay for any of the regrading or auction fees (:hi: Steve I. and James H.)  :devil:   lol, they still would have lost money on this Eldon copy of Cap 3 since they would have had to pay the $55K that it sold for in one of the CC Event Auctions back in 2018.   :tonofbricks:

Like I was alluding to earlier, definitely not as easy to play and win at the CPR related games when it comes to easily identifiable GA books which simply don't come around that often.  Especially when compared to the later BA or CA books where it's really so much more about that big number on the top left as there's just so many more copies around which then simply makes it a whole lot easier to conveniently "hide" the book with no one being the wiser.  hm  (tsk)

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like it came close at the end, but not surprisingly (at least to me), it's still no cigar as it finished up at only $52,800.  :(

Not sure how much the consignor had to spend on the "facejob" and any other resto work that might have been performed on the book.  So, even if they got the resto work done for free and didn't have to pay for any of the regrading or auction fees (:hi: Steve I. and James H.)  :devil:   lol, they still would have lost money on this Eldon copy of Cap 3 since they would have had to pay the $55K that it sold for in one of the CC Event Auctions back in 2018.   :tonofbricks:

Like I was alluding to earlier, definitely not as easy to play and win at the CPR related games when it comes to easily identifiable GA books which simply don't come around that often.  Especially when compared to the later BA or CA books where it's really so much more about that big number on the top left as there's just so many more copies around which then simply makes it a whole lot easier to conveniently "hide" the book with no one being the wiser.  hm  (tsk)

Definitely hard to say what drove the final hammer.  I thought a lot of the GA ended up on the cheaper side with a few outliers.