• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Great question. In my opinion, someday in the future this book here will be offered for sale again, and it will definitely sell for more or less than it did this time around.

Actually, I think you should cover all of your bases because there's a third possibility in that it might just sell for the exact same $19,800 that it did on this go round.  :bigsmile:

I think they shouldn't sell the video games as the same time as the books.  I think there's a lot of collectors that cover both categories (I'm one of them) and there's just too much inventory at once and I only have so much budget to set aside.  They are probably riding some of the marketing and views on the books to boost the games sales but it's simply too much and it's costly.  What is this Sotheby's or Christies?

25 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Definitely hard to say what drove the final hammer.  I thought a lot of the GA ended up on the cheaper side with a few outliers.

Maybe with this current pandemic, it's just not the best time for consigning higher dollar value books as per @Mmehdy's rather ominous prognostications on the impact of the pandemic on comic books.  hm

Then again, you read other threads and it sounds as though prices are running higher than before with respoect to books at the lower end of the price spectrum, whereby potential bidders are apparently using their stimulus money from the federal government as an unexpected bonus to buy books which they otherwise would not have brought.  (shrug)

So, who really knows except that the additional stimulus money definitely wouldn't be enough to buy these higher dollar value GA books.  :frown:

On 7/8/2020 at 6:02 PM, Black Captain said:

I guess we will see if everyone is waiting till the end, waiting till the next auction, or if the financial environment is having an impact.

I think I have part of the answer to my query. The bids certainly picked up in the end for several books in relation to where the proxy bid stood before the live bidding. Perhaps the winning bidders were motivated to adopt a wait and see strategy due to the pandemic. 

Why bid the desired books up prematurely when they could possibly get a bargain due to others financial instabilities. The results were not severely low on books, (Which would have been clear evidence of the pandemic affect) rather as lou_fine pointed out the results were close but slightly off the mark. I think batman _fan was also right pointing out that books went cheaper with a few outliers. 

So now we have to wait for the comicconnect and comiclink auctions to complete at the end of August to get the final piece of the puzzle in regards to the health of the comic book auction market.

The question is,  Were bidders holding back because they saw upcoming books coming to auction that they wanted just a little bit more than the books in the Heritage auction or were the prices somewhat off due to the pandemic? 

We will see, perhaps now is the right time to cosign higher value books.

Edited by Black Captain

15 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Comicconnect will tell you if there will be duplicates of your book, and make timing recommendations accordingly 

heritage contacts consignors as well, and asks if they wish to move a book to another auction, so if there are multiples in same auction, its because the consignor agreed to it

My thoughts on prices (i.e. clueless guys take)

Batman 4, 9.2, $40.8k - about right

Batman 5, 9.6, $49.2k - about right

Batman 37, 9.0, $13.2k - decent (I thought it was a weak 9.0)

Black Cat 50, 9.2, $28.8k - strong but horror has been hot for a while

Captain America 1, 3.5, $90k - weak, especially with the cover eye appeal

Detective 37, 8.5, $48k - Maybe on the weaker side, I am sure the seller expected more

Detective 140, 8.0, $40.8k - real strong

Detective 168, 7.5, $34.8k - strong but I would have thought this would go higher than the 140

Human Torch 12, 8.5, $18k - about right, I really liked this one

Silver Streak 6, 6.0, $20.4k - real strong, I really wanted this one and was hoping it would go quite a bit lower.  I blame Bedrock for the price because he keeps posting his incredible copy which made a lot of people want the book.

Submariner 1, 7.5, $50.4 - real strong.  I think a Submariner 1 is out of my reach now.

USA 11, 7.5, $6.6k - I thought this one ended up on the low side, I expected in the $8k minimum and potentially over $10k 

Just now, batman_fan said:

Detective 37, 8.5, $48k - Maybe on the weaker side, I am sure the seller expected more

Detective 168, 7.5, $34.8k - strong but I would have thought this would go higher than the 140

(thumbsu

38 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

This looked about right to me; maybe slightly less of a gap, but the 140 beating the 168 isn't shocking.

Since many of the non-Batman related DC books seems to have been taking it on the chin during the past few years, I thought this one here did rather surprisingly well:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #67 (DC, 1941) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

Seems like a pretty strong price at $7,200 or almost 4X condition guide for a mid-grade copy and not sure if this is due to the fact that this particular issue doesn't seem to show up in the marketplace as often as some of the other More Fun issues?  (shrug)

I guess we'll find out soon if this sale here is just an outlier or if there is finally some resurgence of interest in the More Fun title as it looks like ComicConnect has a rather nice handful of these earlier More Fun issues coming up in their current Event Auction later this month.  hm   :luhv:

I was tracking a couple of classic cover books and they seem to be doing quite well, especially this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Hangman Comics #3 San Francisco Pedigree (MLJ, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for $14,400 or something like over 6X condition guide, but then again, it is a San Francisco pedigree copy of a classic cover book that doesn't come around too often.  

Also noticed this Brenda Starr book with the long acknowledged GGA bondage cover artwork:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Brenda Starr #14 (#2) (Four Star, 1948) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages....

Managed to sell for what I had initially thought was a rather strong price at $13,200 until I noticed that CC had sold an equivalent graded copy for $16,866 in one of their Event Auctions way back in 2014 which must have been a real outlier of a sale back then.  :whatthe:

33 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

48k for the 37 seems really low ?  Wasn’t the asking price almost 100k at one time ?

Correct. What did Pristine Comics do when they couldn't sell at 100K asking price? They jacked it up to 125K. meh

http://pristinecomics.com/detective-comics-37-cgc-8-5-oww-2nd-highest-last-goth-pre-robin-0068601001/

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Correct. What did Pristine Comics do when they couldn't sell at 100K asking price? They jacked it up to 125K. meh

http://pristinecomics.com/detective-comics-37-cgc-8-5-oww-2nd-highest-last-goth-pre-robin-0068601001/

Lesson learned. Ask price != sell price

It's probably also because he initially forgot all about the minor amount of glue on the cover and had to add in the $25K to cover the cost for the glue.  lol

Image 1

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It's probably also because he initially forgot all about the minor amount of glue on the cover and had to add in the $25K to cover the cost for the glue.  lol

Image 1

Doesn’t it depend on the type of glue used?  Like if it is the vintage stuff used for model kits that could get you high then it is worth more:baiting:

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Image 1

Do we know who ended up with this book?  Was it a boardie?

I guess likely we will never know.  We should attach gps trackers to these.

32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Doesn’t it depend on the type of glue used?  Like if it is the vintage stuff used for model kits that could get you high then it is worth more:baiting:

Well, he definitely must have been flying high no matter what type of glue was used, after finding that his little bump of an additional $25K actually worked.  :flipbait:

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Silver Streak 6, 6.0, $20.4k - real strong, I really wanted this one and was hoping it would go quite a bit lower.  I blame Bedrock for the price because he keeps posting his incredible copy which made a lot of people want the book.

That is really evil.  I'm not sure why he hasn't been shamed off the Boards. rantrant