• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:
9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Silver Streak 6, 6.0, $20.4k - real strong, I really wanted this one and was hoping it would go quite a bit lower.  I blame Bedrock for the price because he keeps posting his incredible copy which made a lot of people want the book.

That is really evil.  I'm not sure why he hasn't been shamed off the Boards.

I am so mad at myself I have already started kicking my own butt.

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

How do y'all think these will look together...

ghost1.jpg

ghost2.jpg

ghost3.jpg

ghost4.jpg

ghost6.jpg

ghost7.jpg

Hey Richard;  :hi:

Will let you in on a little secret and at the same time also help you out here, as although they do indeed look nice together, it's still not quite right though   :gossip:

They'll look so much more perfect and presentable if they were sitting in my personal collection, so just send them all my way and I'll hold onto them for you.  :bigsmile:   :takeit:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;  :hi:

Will let you in on a little secret and at the same time also help you out here, as although they do indeed look nice together, it's still not quite right though   :gossip:

They'll look so much more perfect and presentable if they were sitting in my personal collection, so just send them all my way and I'll hold onto them for you.  :bigsmile:   :takeit:

So you are saying you would trade your entire collection for them? Well get your stuff packed up, cause I'm making that deal!

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Silver Streak 6, 6.0, $20.4k - real strong, I really wanted this one and was hoping it would go quite a bit lower.  I blame Bedrock for the price because he keeps posting his incredible copy which made a lot of people want the book.

Must be it, the last two at Heritage sold quite strong also after years of being a guide-at-best book. About time, it's such a great book.

Now let's see if Bedrock can work his magic on Adventure #72

3 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I don't have enough magic for that.

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My thoughts on prices (i.e. clueless guys take)

Captain America 1, 3.5, $90k - weak, especially with the cover eye appeal

Well, it definitely looks like both Cap 1 and Cap 3 certainly did not have their best showings on this auction go round here.  :frown:

I guess we really shouldn't have been that surprised with the Cap 1 result though since CL was only able to fetch $100K for their CGC 4.0 graded copy of Cap 1 about a week ago.  Then again, it's still noticeably less than the low 6-figures which 2 other CGC 3.5 graded copies of Cap 1 were able to fetched a couple of short years ago.  (shrug)

As for Cap 3, definitely never a good idea to have multiple copies of the same book available in the same auction.  Still, although the price for a CGC 5.0 copy appears to be alright at first glance, definitely not the case when a restored CGC 5.5 graded copy sold for slightly more at the end of last year and then a restored CGC 4.0 graded copy sold for $18K in the last Heritage auction a few short months ago.  :(

8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
12 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I don't have enough magic for that.

Well, how about trying for a slightly easier one than like Adventure 73 first before going for the big toughie?  :wishluck:

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it definitely looks like both Cap 1 and Cap 3 certainly did not have their best showings on this auction go round here.  :frown:

I guess we really shouldn't have been that surprised with the Cap 1 result though since CL was only able to fetch $100K for their CGC 4.0 graded copy of Cap 1 about a week ago.  Then again, it's still noticeably less than the low 6-figures which 2 other CGC 3.5 graded copies of Cap 1 were able to fetched a couple of short years ago.  (shrug)

As for Cap 3, definitely never a good idea to have multiple copies of the same book available in the same auction.  Still, although the price for a CGC 5.0 copy appears to be alright at first glance, definitely not the case when a restored CGC 5.5 graded copy sold for slightly more at the end of last year and then a restored CGC 4.0 graded copy sold for $18K in the last Heritage auction a few short months ago.  :(

It is really hard to figure out what is going on with prices.  Lots of really strong prices but lots of really weak prices where in the past it would be more strong prices and about right prices.  The original art was pretty strong in my opinion overall.  Going to be interesting watching the auction tomorrow morning as I see several items on the low side.

The high-grade run of Mickey Mouse magazines generated some solid prices.  A collection like this probably took decades to put together.  Anyone know the background of this collection?  I did manage to win one of these books, and it would be nice to know more about this impressive run.

10 minutes ago, mlansdown said:

The high-grade run of Mickey Mouse magazines generated some solid prices.  A collection like this probably took decades to put together.  Anyone know the background of this collection?  I did manage to win one of these books, and it would be nice to know more about this impressive run.

I was watching those too, some really strong prices.  No idea where they came from but fun to see the sell off.

16 hours ago, Bat34 said:

I was interested in the Tec 37 but the glue concerned me a bit.  I mean, I'm not a barbarian... :)

All I can say is that if a non-key or non-classic cover GA book and one that's not the CGC's highest graded copy can really fetch 6-figures, then it's still a pretty hot marketplace out there.  :flipbait:

On 7/10/2020 at 9:40 AM, lou_fine said:

Since many of the non-Batman related DC books seems to have been taking it on the chin during the past few years, I thought this one here did rather surprisingly well:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #67 (DC, 1941) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

Seems like a pretty strong price at $7,200 or almost 4X condition guide for a mid-grade copy and not sure if this is due to the fact that this particular issue doesn't seem to show up in the marketplace as often as some of the other More Fun issues?  (shrug)

I guess we'll find out soon if this sale here is just an outlier or if there is finally some resurgence of interest in the More Fun title as it looks like ComicConnect has a rather nice handful of these earlier More Fun issues coming up in their current Event Auction later this month.  hm   :luhv:

I bought this one, I have been looking for a nicely presenting copy for awhile now.  A few have a shown up over the last few years on CL and they have bid up very aggressively, I remember bidding bidding almost $10 k for purple label and losing out at the last minute.  67 does seem tougher to find and its the origin issue for DF as well.  Generally, MFs seem to trending up over the last couple of years. Hopefully, not too much as I still need a 52 to complete my run of Spectre and full face DF cover run.

5 hours ago, fat11381 said:

Got book I wanted at a price I can live with.

Screenshot_20200709-140528.png

Great pick-up!

Interesting: the cover implies that Wonder Woman is running for President in the year 2943.  What took her so long? :preach: