• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I bought this one, I have been looking for a nicely presenting copy for awhile now.  A few have a shown up over the last few years on CL and they have bid up very aggressively, I remember bidding bidding almost $10 k for purple label and losing out at the last minute.  67 does seem tougher to find and its the origin issue for DF as well.  Generally, MFs seem to trending up over the last couple of years. Hopefully, not too much as I still need a 52 to complete my run of Spectre and full face DF cover run.

I could be wrong but that book looks like a Detroit Trolley

15 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I bought this one, I have been looking for a nicely presenting copy for awhile now.  A few have a shown up over the last few years on CL and they have bid up very aggressively, I remember bidding bidding almost $10 k for purple label and losing out at the last minute.  67 does seem tougher to find and its the origin issue for DF as well.  Generally, MFs seem to trending up over the last couple of years. Hopefully, not too much as I still need a 52 to complete my run of Spectre and full face DF cover run.

Big congrats on a nice pickup of a book that certainly doesn't seem to show up in the marketplace that often and when it does, usually sells for top dollar.  :applause:

Just checked the CGC census and it would appear that the More Fun's 56, 63, & 64 has the lowest number of graded copies as they are generally running around half of the other surrounding issues.  Definitely the case with More Fun 56 with the classic first cover appearance and origin of Doctor Fate since the last one that Heritage had for sale was the Billy Wright copy back in 2012.  :cloud9:

Yes, it would appear that the More Fun's definitely seems to finally be getting a bit of life back into them, especially in comparison to some of the other still moribund DC GA titles.  Will be interesting to see how the More Fun's do in this current CC Event Auction since they appear to have a good handful of these early ones available on this go round here.  My preference have always been the Doctor Fate and Spectre covers in the 50's and 60's, but sadly no MF 61 or MF 65 in this auction which are 2 of my favorite More Fun covers for obvious reasons. :luhv:  :luhv:

On 7/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, Zolnerowich said:
On 7/12/2020 at 1:37 AM, fat11381 said:

Got book I wanted at a price I can live with.

Screenshot_20200709-140528.png

Great pick-up!

Interesting: the cover implies that Wonder Woman is running for President in the year 2943.  What took her so long? :preach:

Yes, especially if Charles Moulton had any input into the cover, I thought it would have been 1953 considering his shall we say very liberal and open views when it came to women.  Then again, maybe they were just prurient views when it came to his thoughts on women, which then makes me wonder where he got his idea for Wonder Woman's golden lasso of truth:  :devil:  :blush:

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...

On 7/10/2020 at 12:55 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Correct. What did Pristine Comics do when they couldn't sell at 100K asking price? They jacked it up to 125K. meh

http://pristinecomics.com/detective-comics-37-cgc-8-5-oww-2nd-highest-last-goth-pre-robin-0068601001/

They did something similar with me on eBay twice now.  I made an offer which they rejected and soon after they jacked up the price.  I'm not sure how exactly that is a good business strategy.  The book is still posted after a year.  I made the same offer the other day I did a year ago and they jacked up the price another $200 after they rejected it again!  The book is so over priced now I'm not sure how they will sell it! :roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

15 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

So . . . the 8.5 copy of Planet 54 that was in the weekly Heritage Auction just sold for $3,360. What the what? The colors looked good in the scans, but who trusts Heritage scans? It didn't look very strictly graded, either.

Thought the same. Nice colors though.

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

So . . . the 8.5 copy of Planet 54 that was in the weekly Heritage Auction just sold for $3,360. What the what? The colors looked good in the scans, but who trusts Heritage scans? It didn't look very strictly graded, either.

And the 9.0 Jumbo 150 went for $960.00.  Last couple of weeks people are really going high for highest graded FH copies on HA.... but many others are going at almost reasonable prices.

Makes me think a few whales are duking it out for 9.0 to 9.2s and leaving some nice table scrap 8.5s alone.  Works for me.

17 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Best 54 I’ve ever seen color wise by far. Sometimes with FH you get color or high grade. This one has both. With this one we could debate the loosely grading, but I think price would be the same if in a 7.5 or a 8 holder. It has White pages too as a bonus.  This copy and the Planet 24 HA sold a few weeks ago are both color unicorns for their respective issues. For the record, I did not win either.

6 hours ago, kelholt said:

Best 54 I’ve ever seen color wise by far. Sometimes with FH you get color or high grade. This one has both. With this one we could debate the loosely grading, but I think price would be the same if in a 7.5 or a 8 holder. It has White pages too as a bonus.  This copy and the Planet 24 HA sold a few weeks ago are both color unicorns for their respective issues. For the record, I did not win either.

That's if you trust the Heritage scans. I sure don't.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:26 PM, Xenosmilus said:

They did something similar with me on eBay twice now.  I made an offer which they rejected and soon after they jacked up the price.  I'm not sure how exactly that is a good business strategy.  The book is still posted after a year.  I made the same offer the other day I did a year ago and they jacked up the price another $200 after they rejected it again!  The book is so over priced now I'm not sure how they will sell it! :roflmao:

It may just be an attempt to raise offer prices. Something like this happened to me a few years back, though I forget the book, and it wasn't particularly high priced. I got a couple unsolicited offers, but wasn't interested in lowering the price, and there was clearly interest, so I relisted it a couple weeks later at at a slightly higher price, figuring if I got another offer it would be closer to my original price and the book ended up selling quickly at full asking. But after a year or so of still being listed, I suppose the argument could be made this isn't a good strategy.

7 hours ago, kelholt said:
On 7/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Not sure where you got the $3,360 figure from as my search indicates that it sold for $3,120 which is still an absolutely amazing price for that copy there.  :whatthe:

I guess the bidder must have really like the red color strike as all of the other copies would appear to have much more of an orange color tone to them.  Then again, looks like a pretty stiff price to be paying considering that there 4 other higher graded copies out there plus another 4 copies in equivalent CGC 8.5 graded condition.  To top it off, this appears from my own personal point of view that is, to be a bit of a gift grade considering that I have certainly seen much nicer 8.5 graded condition books.  hm  :p

20 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It may just be an attempt to raise offer prices. Something like this happened to me a few years back, though I forget the book, and it wasn't particularly high priced. I got a couple unsolicited offers, but wasn't interested in lowering the price, and there was clearly interest, so I relisted it a couple weeks later at at a slightly higher price, figuring if I got another offer it would be closer to my original price and the book ended up selling quickly at full asking. But after a year or so of still being listed, I suppose the argument could be made this isn't a good strategy.

I think the book has been selling consistently around 800 for a few years now when one comes up. They have the BIN price for 1200 I believe now.  I offered 900 because it’s a beautiful copy. It’s a Man-thing #1 CGC 9.8 WP

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 7/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 7/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, lou_fine said:

It's probably also because he initially forgot all about the minor amount of glue on the cover and had to add in the $25K to cover the cost for the glue.  lol

Image 1

Do we know who ended up with this book?  Was it a boardie?

I guess likely we will never know.  We should attach gps trackers to these.

Well, even though he apparently tried to raise the price by $25K up to $125K, it looks like it sold for a much more realistic price point and possibly even a bit on the low side at only $48K once it hit the open public marketplace earlier this month:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-37-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7231-91056.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #37 (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

It's interesting to see the price fluctuation on this book in that condition. 

In 2007 it broke $40k and never got back to that level (at least not at heritage).  In 2012 it hit $38k but by 2015 it was back down to $20k.  

27 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

It's interesting to see the price fluctuation on this book in that condition. 

In 2007 it broke $40k and never got back to that level (at least not at heritage).  In 2012 it hit $38k but by 2015 it was back down to $20k.  

Apples to oranges! You cannot compare the Edgar Church/Mile High Copy with “White Pages” to a regular copy with “cream to off-white pages”. The MH should sell for 2-2.5 times as much, so I think it’s on par!

4 minutes ago, Timely said:

Apples to oranges! You cannot compare the Edgar Church/Mile High Copy with “White Pages” to a regular copy with “cream to off-white pages”. The MH should sell for 2-2.5 times as much, so I think it’s on par!

Thanks - didn't catch that they were church / mile high copies. That makes allot more sense! 

40 minutes ago, KCOComics said:
46 minutes ago, Timely said:

Thanks - didn't catch that they were church / mile high copies. That makes allot more sense! 

Yes, the quality of the pedigree desigantion always makes a hugh differencce and you really can't get much better than a Church copy.  :takeit:

The copy that sold for $38K back in 2012 was the Billy Wright copy when all of those books sold for big time money, but unfortunately most of those BW copies ended up selling for much less when brought back to market right afterwards.  :tonofbricks:

I believe the result for the Church copy on this go-round will also be strongly influenced by the census population count here.  The first time that this Church copy sold back in 2007, it was the highest graded copy at a CGC 9.4 graded condition level and tied with 2 other copies.  Looks like the population count has now doubled with 5 other copies with thie same CGC 9.4 grade plus another new single highest graded copy at a CGC 9.6 graded condition level.  hm