• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Perspective -

The Chamber of Chills cover art went for $174,000 while an unopened box of first series Pokemon Cards went for $198,000

We are amazed at some of the strong prices for single highest grade Church Hitler covers when only a few of them sold for more than either a 9.8 sig series Albedo #2 at $28,800 or a 9.9 Avatar Goon #1 also at $28,800.

I have come to accept that I may never win another book or OA piece ever again.

These days, my max bids aren't even enough to make it to the live auction.

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Amazingly, in a few more years I'll have some slabbed books that I'll have owned for a couple of decades. 

Where does the time go?

I had it in my head that I bought my first slabbed book in 2002, but looking back at my records I actually bought my first slabbed book in August 2000 and was actively buying from that point on.

However, I no longer own that book.  The earliest-acquired slabbed book that I still own is one I bought in June 2001, so I'm a bit under a year away from reaching the 20 year mark in owning a slabbed book that is still in my collection!

Edited by tth2

6 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Looks like someone agreed on the Batman #1 and the buyer made an immediate flip with HA at 132k - no time to even ship it out to the original buyer.  The original buyer gets sent a check for the difference instead.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-gd-25-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-91033.s?ic19=MotoOffers-ItemDescription-041718

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Good eye dem1138.

but something is amiss. It’s says “sale pending”

In this particular situation, I believe it's pretty much a done deal and the sale is pending only because the resale was done so quickly that they simply haven't had the time to cross all of the "t's" and dot all of the "i's" yet.  :applause:  :taptaptap:

A resale this quickly makes me wonder why in the world would the eventual second buyer simply not bother to bid on the book in the first place themselves since the auction took place only 1 day earlier?  hm  doh!

Although this must definitely be a record for the fastest resale through the HA Make Offer to Owner feature, it still doesn't beat the CGC 8.5 graded copy of All-Star 3 that was won for only $49,293.75 and then resold a week later for $200,000:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Ahhh.........to live the lavish, but rather short life of an embezzler.  :devil:

Personally the Hitler covers thing does nothing for me. Don't see why some would make the books so pricey. To be honest and I don't want to upset anyone as I have a habit of doing but to me the whole WWII covers thing is kind of disturbing. Rather see them fighting crime and the occasional freaky looking monster or alien.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I had it in my head that I bought my first slabbed book in 2002, but looking back at my records I actually bought my first slabbed book in August 2000 and was actively buying from that point on.

However, I no longer own that book.  The earliest-acquired slabbed book that I still own is one I bought in June 2001, so I'm a bit under a year away from reaching the 20 year mark in owning a slabbed book that is still in my collection!

Wow, good for you as I never realize that you were the type of collector to hold onto your books for such an extended period of time.  :applause:

Before you know it, you'll end up picking up my bad habit of holding onto my books forever.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Do you have any pre-CGC raw vintage collectible books (i.e. not off the shelf copies) that you owned in your collection that's already hit the 20-year mark?  hm

16 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Perspective -

The Chamber of Chills cover art went for $174,000 while an unopened box of first series Pokemon Cards went for $198,000

We are amazed at some of the strong prices for single highest grade Church Hitler covers when only a few of them sold for more than either a 9.8 sig series Albedo #2 at $28,800 or a 9.9 Avatar Goon #1 also at $28,800.

Sports cards are already at the point where moderns FAR outvalue most vintage, and seeing some recent modern comic prices I wonder if we are that far behind. That Goon price is unreal. 

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

I have come to accept that I may never win another book or OA piece ever again.

These days, my max bids aren't even enough to make it to the live auction.

I get that same feeling at times.  The only thing I have been able to win recently has been silver age Spiderman's and that just because 7.5s to 9.4s are readily available in the $200 to $400 range.

7 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not a problem. It's entirely understandable why some folks might consider collecting anything about Hitler and WWII undesirable. That said, there's a very real, patriotic appeal to acquiring anti-fascism comics. By and large, it's a wholesome area of collecting, but requires a nuanced understanding of the use of propaganda as applied to warfare.  it also requires a thoughtful analysis of the rationale for the overt racial stereotyping of Japanese soldiers in WWII. 

Symbolically, mocking Hitler and the Axis was considered patriotic.  That's why there were so many comics focused on the enemy's leaders being cowardly and weak as part of the war effort.  This isn't even taking into account the sinister cruelty of genocide and the Holocaust which most Americans weren't fully aware of until the closing days of the war.

Fighting the oppression of authoritarianism remains a popular attribute of heroism within our hobby; that extends to WWII.  It isn't about collecting nazi ephemera or artifacts.  In fact, it's the exact opposite of that.  Making dictators look like the morally bankrupt insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, cowards and sadists they are is what might best be described as good propaganda.

The nostalgia surrounding the world's democracies prevailing over the Axis powers today is best exemplified by the famous quote from philosopher George Santayana about learning from history or being condemned to repeat it.  This context of that quote is just another reason so many WWII covers earn a premium price-tag.

:tink:

Cat, that was a very impressive and thoughtful analysis of the WWII Nazi cover appeal. 

I have to save this somewhere the next time I'm showing a novice but curious friend items from my collection and I get that "look' when the swastika covers come out. (And the bondage covers, and the racist covers ...:fear: )

17 minutes ago, sagii said:

Cat, that was a very impressive and thoughtful analysis of the WWII Nazi cover appeal. 

I have to save this somewhere the next time I'm showing a novice but curious friend items from my collection and I get that "look' when the swastika covers come out. (And the bondage covers, and the racist covers ...:fear: )

I just keep mine hidden under the mattress.

Very insightful and well stated Cat. With me Its not the Hitler aspect as much as the whole war propaganda in comics aspect. Keep in mind that Germany and Japan had the same type of propaganda regarding the USA. I'm anti-war in general although I was a die hard "conservative' at one point in my life. Knowing what I know now I feel all citizens of all the countries involved were used as pawns and both wars could have been avoided. I love the artwork, I respect the historic aspect, I just don't dig the idea of aiming it at mainly children at the time. Thats why I lean towards the criminal/villian/weird freaky monster or space alien covers. Or covers with a hot chick in peril.

A few Marvel Mystery's ended today. I really wanted the 57 but looks like I'll have to wait for a lower grade to come around. 2,880.00 on an 8.5. Last one went for 2,566.00 in 2016.

Wonderful cover

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-57-timely-1944-cgc-vf-85-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-96082.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

This WWII cover is one of Shombergs best I think, #64. 2,088. Over 300 more than last 6.5 in 2019.

lf (1).jpg

lf (2).jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos

For those of you who have the extra dough to have aquired this one and didn't bid, I say to you - "You sir are a damned fool".

15 Blues in census. Only 4 graded higher. Highest graded example sold at least the past 20 years according to my source (Gocollect is my source). 

I mean Come on. Seriously I love this book. No, I am in love with this book. 

Me, this book, some Marvin, and little Courvoisier,.........thats what I'm talking about. What a Gem.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/adventure-comics-46-dc-1940-cgc-vg-35-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-96002.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

lf (3).jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Do you have any pre-CGC raw vintage collectible books (i.e. not off the shelf copies) that you owned in your collection that's already hit the 20-year mark?  hm

Probably a few, but not many.  All the raw SA Marvels I owned, I slabbed and sold in the early 2000s to fund my DC acquisitions. All of the raw SA DCs I owned (of which there were not many because they were impossible to find in NM back in the day), I slabbed and sold in the late 2000s when I sold off most of my DCs.  The only GA books that I bought pre-CGC were Duck books, and those I slabbed and sold when I sold off most of my Ducks in the mid-2000s.   

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

For those of you who have the extra dough to have aquired this one and didn't bid, I say to you - "You sir are a damned fool".

15 Blues in census. Only 4 graded higher. Highest graded example sold at least the past 20 years according to my source (Gocollect is my source). 

I mean Come on. Seriously I love this book. No, I am in love with this book. 

Me, this book, some Marvin, and little Courvoisier,.........thats what I'm talking about. What a Gem.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/adventure-comics-46-dc-1940-cgc-vg-35-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-96002.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

lf (3).jpg

I thought about picking this one up in addition to the 6.5R I did win.   Thought twice 😬

Edited by GoldenAgeAddict