• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I didn't own the book but the consignor had it listed on my site for at least four years prior to having it sent to Heritage...and it had been in my possession all that time. The scuff has always been there. I am sorry to say that I never felt the need to mention it either. I guess I need to rethink that.

You don’t provided a grade for the CGC cases?   lol

22 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

So I finally got my book...does anyone else see this scratch on the cover in the above picture? That is the one I was bidding on. Because I don't see it in the picture. They told me they were going to check. That's after a few weeks of not mailing it because they decided I was waiting to combine shipping? 

I'm not thrilled with their pictures right now or their service :(

I called them before posting this. They wanted me to take pictures so they could "compare them" with the auction, so I wanted another opinion before they get back to me.

1287476673_heritagesensationscratch(4).thumb.jpg.77eb14474f04ed244c19cdf60a5b3cc3.jpg

Just crack it out.  Problem solved. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, skypinkblu said:

I'm guessing that in your pictures it showed, so you wouldn't have to. If it were a low grade less special book, I wouldn't care. If I hadn't had a problem with a book being reholdered, I'd just send it in, but they knocked a corner off my Wonder Woman 50 so I don't want to take that chance. 

It's good to know the scratch was there before, they were asking me questions that would make it seem like a shipping accident. I didn't think it was. I'll see what they suggest tomorrow.

Hey Shar. How did this turn out?

35 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Hey Shar. How did this turn out?

I sent the pictures that they asked for  and never got a response. I called and left 2 messages no response, I sent another email, no response...so I'm not really trusting their customer service right now. 
I guess I'll call again on Monday.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I sent the pictures that they asked for  and never got a response. I called and left 2 messages no response, I sent another email, no response...so I'm not really trusting their customer service right now. 
I guess I'll call again on Monday.

This may sound ridiculous, but before writing the holder off as being severely scratched you might try taking a nonabrasive eyeglass lens cloth and buffing the area with mild to moderate pressure (circular motion usually works best).  

I've seen this kind of scuff on slabs before that turned out to be 90-100% removable. The "tell" for me is that there seems to be breaks in the wide streak, so it might not be a scratch even though it produces a shadow under light.  No guarantee the lens cloth idea will work, but it's worth a shot. (thumbsu

:tink:

15 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This may sound ridiculous, but before writing the holder off as being severely scratched you might try taking a nonabrasive eyeglass lens cloth and buffing the area with mild to moderate pressure (circular motion usually works best).  

I've seen this kind of scuff on slabs before that turned out to be 90-100% removable. The "tell" for me is that there seems to be breaks in the wide streak, so it might not be a scratch even though it produces a shadow under light.  No guarantee the lens cloth idea will work, but it's worth a shot. (thumbsu

:tink:

Thanks, Cat...it's a scratch, buffing with a lens cloth won't help, it's deeper than it looks in the picture, you can feel it. 

Hopefully I'll be able to speak with someone tomorrow. 

20 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, Cat...it's a scratch, buffing with a lens cloth won't help...

If it were buffed out there would be no reason to ask for a refund.

Edited by MrBedrock

49 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

If it were buffed out there would be no reason to ask for a refund.

Which is why I wish YOU had buffed it out, I am sure you know more about it than I do.

I'm not really sure what your point is here Richard.  I'd like the book, that's why I bought it. I didn't expect it to come damaged. I don't want to try to fix it as an amateur and be stuck if I mess something up. Which means, I don't want to be the one sending it back to be reholdered.

I'm sorry you are upset about my not liking the scratch.  I don't buy as many expensive books as you do. To me, this is an expensive book. If it was a $200 book, I wouldn't care. If it was a low grade book I wouldn't care.

I'm done explaining myself to you, considering the fact that I really don't owe you any explanation at all.

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Which is why I wish YOU had buffed it out, I am sure you know more about it than I do.

I'm not really sure what your point is here Richard.  I'd like the book, that's why I bought it. I didn't expect it to come damaged. I don't want to try to fix it as an amateur and be stuck if I mess something up. Which means, I don't want to be the one sending it back to be reholdered.

I'm sorry you are upset about my not liking the scratch.  I don't buy as many expensive books as you do. To me, this is an expensive book. If it was a $200 book, I wouldn't care. If it was a low grade book I wouldn't care.

I'm done explaining myself to you, considering the fact that I really don't owe you any explanation at all.

My only point was that we always talk about buying the book and not the label...until it works out as a way to cure our buyer's remorse. That book is killer, beautiful, Church, 9.4, white pages, nearly perfect. But the label has an almost imperceptible blemish on it and you are deciding that it isn't good enough for you. And because you are Sharon, loved by all, you get a pass. Listen, if it makes you unhappy, then by all means ask for whatever it is that you feel you are owed. But you posted it here and by doing so you are asking for our feedback. My feedback is that I think it is asinine to be more concerned about a one inch blemish on the plastic around a comic then the actual comic inside of the plastic. And that is magnified to an incredible degree by the fact that the book is a 9.4 White Paged Church copy of Sensation #46. Just my opinion, Sharon, since you asked for it.

15 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

My only point was that we always talk about buying the book and not the label...until it works out as a way to cure our buyer's remorse. That book is killer, beautiful, Church, 9.4, white pages, nearly perfect. But the label has an almost imperceptible blemish on it and you are deciding that it isn't good enough for you. And because you are Sharon, loved by all, you get a pass. Listen, if it makes you unhappy, then by all means ask for whatever it is that you feel you are owed. But you posted it here and by doing so you are asking for our feedback. My feedback is that I think it is asinine to be more concerned about a one inch blemish on the plastic around a comic then the actual comic inside of the plastic. And that is magnified to an incredible degree by the fact that the book is a 9.4 White Paged Church copy of Sensation #46. Just my opinion, Sharon, since you asked for it.

You have no idea what I was going to ask for Richard. I didn't even know before you mentioned it that a refund was a possibility.  I don't know about beloved, but most of the people on here are just not sexist in their responses. They speak to me as another collector, which is what I am and why I've stayed here. I rarely return anything, btw.

As people have mentioned before, there might be a reason there are so few women here.

Someone else who KINDLY  answered in a PM the other night, suggested that I have them reholder the book with a guarantee that there would be no damage. That's actually what I was going to ask for before. Right now, after reading your post, I am pretty sick about comic collecting.  

Have a nice day.

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You have no idea what I was going to ask for Richard. I didn't even know before you mentioned it that a refund was a possibility.  I don't know about beloved, but most of the people on here are just not sexist in their responses. They speak to me as another collector, which is what I am and why I've stayed here. I rarely return anything, btw.

As people have mentioned before, there might be a reason there are so few women here.

Someone else who KINDLY  answered in a PM the other night, suggested that I have them reholder the book with a guarantee that there would be no damage. That's actually what I was going to ask for before. Right now, after reading your post, I am pretty sick about comic collecting.  

Have a nice day.

I don't know either of you boardies so I have no horse in this race, however, I'll chime in by saying that MrBedrock comes off as very condescending. Skypinkblu has every right to be upset about the condition of the case regardless of the value of the book. We all collect for our own reasons and what may affect how you feel about a book may not be linear with how someone else feels. To call someone "asinine" says more about your character. Skypinkblu is obviously very distraught about the purchase and that should not be minimized. It seems that you have some personal underlying issues about skypinkblu as a person. 

I am only speaking to Sharon as I would to any collector who whines and makes a post about a scuff on a CGC holder on a 9.4 White page Church copy of a golden age comic book. If that is somehow sexist then I guess I am guilty.

As for condescending, well yeah. I am condescending. Just as I would be to any collector who whines and makes a post about having a scuff on the holder of a 9.4 White page church copy of a golden age comic book.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

To call someone "asinine" says more about your character. Skypinkblu is obviously very distraught about the purchase and that should not be minimized. It seems that you have some personal underlying issues about skypinkblu as a person. 

I did not call Sharon asinine. I said that I think it is asinine to have that level of concern about a small scuff on the holder of a comic book. I do appreciate you amateur psychiatric analysis though and I am happy to provide you with as many more opportunities as you like.  

Just now, MrBedrock said:

I am only speaking to Sharon as I would to any collector who whines and makes a post about a scuff on a CGC holder on a 9.4 White page Church copy of a golden age comic book. If that is somehow sexist then I guess I am guilty.

As for condescending, well yeah. I am condescending. Just as I would be to any collector who whines and makes a post about having a scuff on the holder of a 9.4 White page church copy of a golden age comic book.

I want to clarify something. I was upset about the PICTURE. I had not seen the scratch in the picture, which is why I posted my picture. So the first thing I saw when I opened a box that it took me almost 3 weeks and a number of phone calls to get, was that scratch...and it's more than 1". I don't know where the 1" stuff is coming from.

With that being said, maybe I would have bid on the book anyway, HAD I SEEN THE SCRATCH or had it been mentioned.  But I would not have been surprised when I opened the box.

I've never thought you could return a book you bought on auction, except maybe ebay and I've never done that.

A friend who actually knows what they are doing said they could buff it out for me, so I'm going to send it to that friend. I'm not wasting any more time trying to get Heritage to reholder it.

My issue was that I had a problem having a book reholdered before so I didn't want to do that myself and I have no idea how to buff something out myself. Another friend had mentioned using a tissue, I tried that the other night and nothing happened.

I think you are reading into things, things you seem to think about me because I happen to be female. Such as the term "whining". 
Just for the record, I doubt I have ever accused anyone here of being sexist before and if I did, it was a long time ago, so I don't say it lightly.

I'm sorry if I offended you some time because I think Funny Pages is correct, it sure seems like it.  So I will apologize again, but let's just end this here please.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think you are reading into things, things you seem to think about me because I happen to be female. Such as the term "whining". 

Just for the record, I doubt I have ever accused anyone here of being sexist before and if I did, it was a long time ago, so I don't say it lightly.

All I said was that you are loved around here. I never referred to your gender. If you think that makes me sexist you are certainly within your right. And if you go through my posts you will find literally 100s of time where I have said someone is whining. Male and female, everybody whines. So again, if you think that is sexist it is well within your right. Silly, but within your right. (oh, and I also call men silly)

Just now, MrBedrock said:

All I said was that you are loved around here. I never referred to your gender. If you think that makes me sexist you are certainly within your right. And if you go through my posts you will find literally 100s of time where I have said someone is whining. Male and female, everybody whines. So again, if you think that is sexist it is well within your right. Silly, but within your right. (oh, and I also call men silly)

:makepoint:

All I know is that you are both (Skypinkblu and MrBedrock) well respected boardies that I've enjoyed following both your insights and input over the years on these here boards!

Kind of ironic that you both have the EXACT number of followers - 53!

Says a lot and hope things smooth out

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I did not call Sharon asinine. I said that I think it is asinine to have that level of concern about a small scuff on the holder of a comic book. I do appreciate you amateur psychiatric analysis though and I am happy to provide you with as many more opportunities as you like.  

Keep digging

17 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Keep digging

I'm digging your posts. I hope mine are half as entertaining.

4 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

I'll chime in by saying that MrBedrock comes off as very condescending.

When someone approaches the hobby from a position of privilege, being condescending comes naturally (especially when insulting snarks are included, as is typical here).

Such folk feel entitled to throw their weight around, whether mocking someone’s pricing in a sales thread, or trolling fans in the baseball thread, or continuously avalanching photos in the GA forum to demonstrate how much ‘better’ they are than you. 

Sha, sorry you had to endure the sexist badgering. Perhaps as the individual in question continues to lose friends, he will have an epiphany one day regarding just how insufferable his behavior has truly become.