• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

When someone approaches the hobby from a position of privilege, being condescending comes naturally (especially when insulting snarks are included, as is typical here).

Such folk feel entitled to throw their weight around, whether mocking someone’s pricing in a sales thread, or trolling fans in the baseball thread, or continuously avalanching photos in the GA forum to demonstrate how much ‘better’ they are than you. 

Sha, sorry you had to endure the sexist badgering. Perhaps as the individual in question continues to lose friends, he will have an epiphany one day regarding just how insufferable his behavior has truly become.

Guilty as charged :sorry:

22 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

When someone approaches the hobby from a position of privilege, being condescending comes naturally (especially when insulting snarks are included, as is typical here).

Such folk feel entitled to throw their weight around, whether mocking someone’s pricing in a sales thread, or trolling fans in the baseball thread, or continuously avalanching photos in the GA forum to demonstrate how much ‘better’ they are than you. 

Sha, sorry you had to endure the sexist badgering. Perhaps as the individual in question continues to lose friends, he will have an epiphany one day regarding just how insufferable his behavior has truly become.

am i ok avalanching photos in the SA forum?

I am going to go post my BS in Comics General where it will be appreciated, which is what I crave.

3 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I don't want to pile on anyone, but Sharon has earned being beloved on these boards and that shouldn't be used against her. 

She made masks for my kids at the beginning of the pandemic and those masks are the only ones they'll wear. It may seem like a small thing, but when you've got two little kids trying to go back to school in this environment, it helped allot. 

As to the issue at hand, if you spend that kind of $$ on a comic book everything should be disclosed to you.  The photos didn't tell the entire story. I'm glad the comic itself appears unscathed. 

Spot on, not to mention the numerous charity threads that she has coordinated to help out those experiencing difficulties. When she learned that my wife had passed away, Sha called me several times and her personally reaching out meant a lot to me.

Sharon is one of the most positive people on this board, and she doesn’t get a “pass” because she’s a woman, she gets respect because she has earned it.

To throw her respected status in her face is both insulting and sexist, and Sha had every right to be offended.

I said she was getting a pass because she is beloved, not because she is a woman. Y'all are making that false equivalency and that is on you.

Edited by MrBedrock

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

My only point was that we always talk about buying the book and not the label...until it works out as a way to cure our buyer's remorse. That book is killer, beautiful, Church, 9.4, white pages, nearly perfect. But the label has an almost imperceptible blemish on it and you are deciding that it isn't good enough for you. And because you are Sharon, loved by all, you get a pass. Listen, if it makes you unhappy, then by all means ask for whatever it is that you feel you are owed. But you posted it here and by doing so you are asking for our feedback. My feedback is that I think it is asinine to be more concerned about a one inch blemish on the plastic around a comic then the actual comic inside of the plastic. And that is magnified to an incredible degree by the fact that the book is a 9.4 White Paged Church copy of Sensation #46. Just my opinion, Sharon, since you asked for it.

I know and happen to like BOTH these board members, so my thoughts are not intended to insult either of these two fine individuals.

I have placed in BOLD a few things to address....

1) I do not believe Sharon had (or has) any buyer's remorse over buying this book.  She loves Sensations and this book will likely be one of the top pieces in her collection.

2) Beautiful Church 9.4 - Richard is 100% correct that this book is ONE ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL BOOK.  Even with the scratch on the case, the book is stunning.

3) The Plastic is scratched, but the book inside is not damaged - I guess my best analogy would be that if I purchased a beautiful Ferrari, but when it came it had a large scratch on it, I would likely be unhappy.  It would not be that there was anything wrong with the interior or the awesome engine; the vehicle would drive just as fast and handle just as well (regardless of the scratch), however, it just would not look "as nice".  Perhaps I could take the car and have the scratch buffed out, however, I might also damage the paint more (not being skilled at buffing).  I could pay to have the scratch buffed out, but why should I have to?  If I purchased the Ferrari knowing it had a large scratch, then that is on me.  If I purchased it and when it arrived it simply had a large scratch on it (that was not disclosed), then that is a different story.   I am guessing this would cause anyone to be less than happy.

I hope these two board members can "agree to disagree" and move forward as friends.  They both have a lot to offer the boards and the hobby and I would hate for this incident to cause any lasting animosity between them.

It would be more like if you bought a Ferrari and the protective car cover that you put on it while it is stored in the garage had a scratch on it. The Ferrari is still in perfect shape.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It would be more like if you bought a Ferrari and the protective car cover that you put on it while it is stored in the garage had a scratch on it. The Ferrari is still in perfect shape.

This

27 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I hope these two board members can "agree to disagree" and move forward as friends.  They both have a lot to offer the boards and the hobby and I would hate for this incident to cause any lasting animosity between them.

And I have no animosity for Sharon. She posted asking for opinions and I gave mine. And the other folks who have a problem with my opinion do not concern me at all.

8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

And I have no animosity for Sharon. She posted asking for opinions and I gave mine. And the other folks who have a problem with my opinion do not concern me at all.

I said I was not posting here again, but since you said this, I'm going to try and explain my point one more time.

I was always a lower grade collector, you know that because I've bought lower grade books from you. 

However, over the past few years, I've upgraded a bit, but when I do, because those are special purchases for ME, I want the "Car" to look a certain way.

I paid for a car WITH an expensive car cover that looked brand new. I didn't know it was damaged. 

It was not brand new and because the seller's picture was lightened or gamma'd, or whatever the heck they did to it...I didn't know that when I bid. 

So I opened my car expecting one of the higher cars and covers that I own, and there was a 1.75" scratch. 

One of the reasons that bothered me, is that IF G-d forbid my family needed to sell the book, I don't want it in a holder that would make it harder for them, or to have to deal with fixing something.  I paid top $$ for the book, it was not meant to be sold now, but these days you just never know what can go wrong...(knocking on wood).

I stopped answering you after the 2nd or third question because I did not know the answer (nor why you were insisting on an answer). I wasn't sure if they would agree to reholder the book, or if they were going to say I needed to do that myself.

I did read all their info after you kept posting and saw that I could return it with a 5% fee if I notified them within 3 days, so I did write Friday after they failed to answer me and say I wanted to preserve that right, but that was never my first choice and when I first posted, before you mentioned returning it, I had no idea that was a possibility. 

In any case, I'm lucky to have a dear friend who is very good with cars and who said today  they can fix it, because I was going to try toothpaste and I don't think that was the answer.

So maybe you are OK with damaged car covers, but if *I* go to the trouble of buying one, I expect it to damage free unless it's some kind of sale item and I buy it (or bid on it) accordingly, knowing there is damage.

Honestly, right now, I'm not planning on bidding on Heritage again, because of the pictures and lack of response.

So...have a great night...