• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Everyone should calm down.  The GA forum has a group of folks that like talking comics, showing off their latest acquisitions and discussing the one that got away.  Hopefully Sharon gets her book resolved (personally hope the buffing works out so she doesn’t have to re-submit).  You can tell she is very excited about the purchase.  Mr B can come off as snarky but he always has a good heart and an undeniable passion for the hobby.  

Now lets all do a group hug !

(thumbsu

6 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That's really not the point.  Sharon bought a book in a holder that was not described as being scratched and the scan certainly didn't show the scratch very well.  

Sharon, like any consumer, has a right to get the item that was represented to her.  It's not for you or Richard or Dan or anyone else to say that she should just suck it up because you don't think the defect is material or that the book shouldn't be in a slab at all so therefore a scratch on the slab shouldn't matter or she should just break it out of the slab.  She bought a slabbed book in what appeared to be an undamaged holder and has a right to receive a slabbed book in an undamaged holder.

Heritage should pay for the book to be sent back to CGC and reslabbed.  It's a no-brainer customer service thing for Heritage to do.  I can't believe people are even getting into a debate on this.    

Okay, either we do the group hug or a battle royal mud wrestling match but it has to be one or the other.

An unfortunate situation, with no clear wins.  May the odds be ever in your favor, but when they don't pan out, as has already happened to Sharon on a submit that damaged a book, it's more difficult to let go and hope.

And this oh so prominent reholder disclaimer, which comes up right away in your face lest you not notice it, doesn't exactly give off a warm and fuzzy feeling. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca63642efebaa3453a2bb23cb98883e1.jpeg

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

That's really not the point.  Sharon bought a book in a holder that was not described as being scratched and the scan certainly didn't show the scratch very well.  

Sharon, like any consumer, has a right to get the item that was represented to her.  It's not for you or Richard or Dan or anyone else to say that she should just suck it up because you don't think the defect is material or that the book shouldn't be in a slab at all so therefore a scratch on the slab shouldn't matter or she should just break it out of the slab.  She bought a slabbed book in what appeared to be an undamaged holder and has a right to receive a slabbed book in an undamaged holder.

Heritage should pay for the book to be sent back to CGC and reslabbed.  It's a no-brainer customer service thing for Heritage to do.  I can't believe people are even getting into a debate on this.    

I've not bothered to dig into this, but with all the hennyclucking going on I decided to look at the scan on HA, and the scratch is blatantly obvious, even before I magnified the image.  Immediately my eye was drawn to something wonky in the corner, and sure enough it's the scratch.  When I buy a pricey book on HA, I always magnify it and frankly I don't know how you could miss the scratch. 

I don't think anyone said "suck it up".  Richard's question was specifically, what outcome are you looking for?  Let's not add fuel to the fire here.  People are already hot here, and with no good reason.  

Is HA obligated to reholder the book?  Do they make any claim about damage to cases?  My guess is there's some 'buyer beware' clause in their bidder contract, I know there is for framed art.  If they reholdered every book with a scratch it would be a huge headache and cost.  That cost would likely be passed on to the seller, not to mention the delay in listing.  Who would put up with that?  Not a good business model, and not a no-brainer.  

Is the buyer obligated to do their due diligence?  If the defect is visible then I don't see what recourse one would have.  If this is Clink and there's a back cover defect, that's a different story.  But even then, if you're bidding on pricey stuff, probably worth a call first.  Bare minimum, magnify the scan.  

The Detectives and Batmans in this auction are really impressive.

Does anyone know Alfred Pennyworth and why he's selling? I have heard of him, but I don't know him personally. I thought he was a boardie.. would love to hear from him about this collection.

47 minutes ago, buttock said:

I've not bothered to dig into this, but with all the hennyclucking going on I decided to look at the scan on HA, and the scratch is blatantly obvious, even before I magnified the image.  Immediately my eye was drawn to something wonky in the corner, and sure enough it's the scratch.  When I buy a pricey book on HA, I always magnify it and frankly I don't know how you could miss the scratch. 

I don't think anyone said "suck it up".  Richard's question was specifically, what outcome are you looking for?  Let's not add fuel to the fire here.  People are already hot here, and with no good reason.  

Is HA obligated to reholder the book?  Do they make any claim about damage to cases?  My guess is there's some 'buyer beware' clause in their bidder contract, I know there is for framed art.  If they reholdered every book with a scratch it would be a huge headache and cost.  That cost would likely be passed on to the seller, not to mention the delay in listing.  Who would put up with that?  Not a good business model, and not a no-brainer.  

Is the buyer obligated to do their due diligence?  If the defect is visible then I don't see what recourse one would have.  If this is Clink and there's a back cover defect, that's a different story.  But even then, if you're bidding on pricey stuff, probably worth a call first.  Bare minimum, magnify the scan.  

Actually I have a large monitor, I did blow the scan up. I still didn't see it. Do I see it now? of course now that I know where to stare, but it's very  faint and not like the picture I took with my phone. 

I was not sure whether it was ME, or the scan, which is why I asked.

I still think the scans are lightened, perhaps I'm wrong and everyone else's monitors shows it better than mine, it's always a possibility.

I do think they should pay for reholdering, but I'm not sure I want to risk the book being reholdered, hence my decision to have it buffed out and to leave it.

No, Richard did not say "suck it up", but he did badger me about what my decision would be. There was no reason to do that unless maybe he has some kind of interest in the book, or he had MMS, which is my answer to  the male version of PMS, I'm going to go with MMS. 

I'll hug the book, the rest of you can hug each other.

Thanks, Dan for answering my original question.

Please don't argue about this, it's not worth anyone (including me) raising any blood pressure. 

Stay safe.

5 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

Does anyone know Alfred Pennyworth and why he's selling? I have heard of him, but I don't know him personally. I thought he was a boardie.. would love to hear from him about this collection.

Isn't he the guy who put these comics in a storage locker where they were stolen & recovered months later?

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Actually I have a large monitor, I did blow the scan up. I still didn't see it. Do I see it now? of course now that I know where to stare, but it's very  faint and not like the picture I took with my phone. 

I was not sure whether it was ME, or the scan, which is why I asked.

I still think the scans are lightened, perhaps I'm wrong and everyone else's monitors shows it better than mine, it's always a possibility.

I do think they should pay for reholdering, but I'm not sure I want to risk the book being reholdered, hence my decision to have it buffed out and to leave it.

No, Richard did not say "suck it up", but he did badger me about what my decision would be. There was no reason to do that unless maybe he has some kind of interest in the book, or he had MMS, which is my answer to  the male version of PMS, I'm going to go with MMS. 

I'll hug the book, the rest of you can hug each other.

Thanks, Dan for answering my original question.

Please don't argue about this, it's not worth anyone (including me) raising any blood pressure. 

Stay safe.

Much love to you Sharon.  I'm still on board with cracking it out... the smell!  :cloud9:

1 minute ago, buttock said:

Much love to you Sharon.  I'm still on board with cracking it out... the smell!  :cloud9:

You know, I never slabbed books before maybe 8 years ago. I recovered from some kind of scary surgery and realized that I had all these books I loved playing with, that my husband kept threatening to sell for $1 each at a garage sale if something happened to me...but they'd be worth a lot more to my daughter;) So I started slabbing them...and I've actually never opened one. A friend opened one in a parking lot once;)

Love right back at ya, (((Dan))))

7 minutes ago, Timely said:
15 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

Isn't he the guy who put these comics in a storage locker where they were stolen & recovered months later?

Correct

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Correct

I think he will do pretty well on the sell.  He has been building the collection over many years so his average price has to be below the current market value.   It will be fun watching them auction off but I personally doubt there will be any super deals to be had.  I hope to snag one or two but will have to see how prices go.

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You know, I never slabbed books before maybe 8 years ago. I recovered from some kind of scary surgery and realized that I had all these books I loved playing with, that my husband kept threatening to sell for $1 each at a garage sale if something happened to me...but they'd be worth a lot more to my daughter;) So I started slabbing them...and I've actually never opened one. A friend opened one in a parking lot once;)

Love right back at ya, (((Dan))))

I was a serial cracker until I had to liquidate a bunch of stuff last year.  The cost associated with recertification, not to mention the risk sending them to CGC (which is my greater concern at current given that I'm not planning to sell for a long while) was pretty substantial.  Overall it added 10-15% to the tally.  I suppose another factor is that I think CGCs grades on the stuff I like have really improved in terms of the accuracy.  Since Matt has taken over I find that I'm much more agreeable to the grades.  But the room required for storage is so much more! :cry:

1 minute ago, buttock said:

I was a serial cracker until I had to liquidate a bunch of stuff last year.  The cost associated with recertification, not to mention the risk sending them to CGC (which is my greater concern at current given that I'm not planning to sell for a long while) was pretty substantial.  Overall it added 10-15% to the tally.  I suppose another factor is that I think CGCs grades on the stuff I like have really improved in terms of the accuracy.  Since Matt has taken over I find that I'm much more agreeable to the grades.  But the room required for storage is so much more! :cry:

I was never a fan of putting books in prison, but over the years I realized they were easier to sell if you HAD to, or if someone who didn't know much had to. I never wanted to crack them, because I thought it was a waste of money...plus I'd crack a few nails :facepalm:

A lot of us (even the low grade collectors) are a little OCD, I must be more than a little, I was trying Cat's lens cloth idea on the left hand scratch and realized that I was so completely focused on that, that even with the book in front of me,  I completely missed a much longer one on the right hand side.:tonofbricks:

It's time to give up, lol. I'll just admire it without my glasses on for now.