• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

90k for that book is a stupid price. Reminds me of the dumb prices paid for FF52 and Av4.

Exactly and although most boardies laughed at the price paid for the CGC 9.8 graded copy of GL 76, that book looks like a steal compared to this Batman 181.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

I doubted it would get any more bids when it was at 50,000. 

One theory is a central banker, who is a collector, with access to liquidity (counterfeit) put his federal guaranteed chits on the table and received his required dopamine amplification.

Hilarious...99.999% of humans think it's inconceivably stupid to pay over a million dollars for a comic book ('Tec 27), yet the other 0.001% think that's totally sane but paying $90,000 for a different comic book is inconceivably stupid.

latest?cb=20081215234656&path-prefix=en

Edited by drbanner

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi Lou, so do you think this restored 6.5 is the same one that was listed as NM decades ago? I guess there is no way to find a picture of it back then. And there is some darkness on the cover near the spine up by the letter D, maybe that's the stain he mentioned. Unless there were 2 larson 36's I suppose it must be the same one. I've never seen a restored Larson then again I haven't been looking. But why get a book listed as near mint restored? Even if it was really just in the VF range that still seems counterproductive. Like you said its very possible it was damaged or roughed up after it was assigned that NM grade. That would be my bet.

I was interested in this one because I want one pre robin detective and 36 and 37 are realistically the only 2 I'll ever have a chance at, aside from 32 or 34.  The timing just wasn't right for me right now otherwise I would have gone after this one (meaning I don't have the money on hand) But I think the buyer got a real good deal on this one. Hopefully he/she will make it available again sometime soon.

There is only 1 Larson tec 36 

it had water damage on the spine and the staples and cover were cleaned to removed rust/water damage. 

it will be available again at some future point. 

36 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Hilarious...99.999% of humans think it's inconceivably stupid to pay over a million dollars for a comic book ('Tec 27), yet the other 0.001% think that's totally sane but paying $90,000 for a different comic book is inconceivably stupid.

Count me as part of both the 99.999% (at least with respect to a 7.0) and the 0.001%.

1 hour ago, SteveDuin said:

Meanwhile ....

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.02.39 AM.png

Rather surprising to see somebody like the winner of the Pokemon Red actually pay attention to these things like proactively getting into the Heritage settings to actually remove themselves from Heritage's Make Offer to Owner feature.  :whatthe:

If I am correct, the default setting on all HA members accounts is automatically set to Yes for the Heritage Make Offer to Owner feature if you are the winning bidder for any of their lots and is calculated based upon an automatic 30% increase over and above your winning bid.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, drbanner said:

latest?cb=20081215234656&path-prefix=en

great reference! "He is black on the right side-- All his people are back on the right side!" the narcissism of small differences. 

17 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
On 11/20/2020 at 1:32 PM, Timely said:

I'm not sure if anybody even cares anymore, but the "San Francisco" Copy of Superman #4 that just sold on Heritage has a "B" erased just to the left of the logo. Seems VERY unlikely an authentic San Francisco Copy would have a penciled "B" on it. I've seen just about every known SF & I've never seen one with a "B" on it... unless Robert Beerbohm decided to put a "B" on this one for some reason. :insane:

sansup.jpg

There are other reasons it does not look like an authentic SF copy.  In fact nothing about it is consistent with an SF.

The "San Fransisco" copies of Superman #4 and #5 both came from the collection of a longtime Superman fan named Mark Edmunds. He decided to sell them around 2001 through John Fairless, who submitted them for grading. Mark swore that he bought them from Beerbohm represented as part of the San Fransisco collection. No reason to doubt him. Beerbohm corroborated this to CGC and CGC labeled them as such.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The "San Fransisco" copies of Superman #4 and #5 both came from the collection of a longtime Superman fan named Mark Edmunds. He decided to sell them around 2001 through John Fairless, who submitted them for grading. Mark swore that he bought them from Beerbohm represented as part of the San Fransisco collection. No reason to doubt him. Beerbohm corroborated this to CGC and CGC labeled them as such.

Excellent background info.  

Just wondering, since we both know Bob, do you think his corroboration in respect to the provenance would hold the same weight today?  hm

Edited by Cat-Man_America

21 hours ago, tabcom said:

One theory is a central banker, who is a collector, with access to liquidity (counterfeit) put his federal guaranteed chits on the table and received his required dopamine amplification.

Whoa Whoa Whoa you been reading my FB posts? 

Edited by Professor Chaos

15 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'm sure there soon will be!  

I don't think the issue is necessarily the absolute dollars, because as you say none of these books has any intrinsic value.  Rather, it's the quantum leap over all previous benchmarks. 

This was not the MH copy of Fantastic #3 where a collector could justifiably believe that an equal or better copy doesn't exist and if it wasn't snapped up during the Berk auction, the opportunity might never come again.  This is from DC's go-go checkerboard period, and there is no such thing as a book that is rare in ultra-high grade from this period.

There are already at least 2 other 9.8 copies, and in this day and age I'm sure the gnomes of the hobby are already busily scouring for transformation candidates.

True, but as always, supply and demand.   For Batman and ASM, there's always multiple buyers for a 9.8, and they have money.  There isn't nearly the demand for the Church Fantastic #3 that there is for a Batman 181.  Ask any weekend dealer and you'll hear that it's one of the single most asked for books.  This sale capitalized on demand (all time high) and supply (despite everyone thinking that more are available, there aren't, and one hasn't sold in 6 years; an eternity in the internet era).  9.8 Charltons are probably rarer, but I don't think you'd see the same prices, although you also may only get one shot at those.  People keep saying that there are more 9.8s of this book out there, but knowing that even prior to this sale, you were looking at mid 5 figures... where are they?