• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'm resigned to never winning another comic again.

I am slowly coming around to to accepting this myself. Especially with 'choice' material. 

Better off waiting to stumble on a 'realistically' priced Buy it now on eBay, or non auction dealer stock 

9 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Mad with desire.......for comics. Sure its a beauty no doubt but with 29 9.6's out there (including the one SS) it shouldn't be that high but what do I know anymore. Waiting for one of the two 9.8's to come around.

In a normal comic book selling world that number of copies in grade might make sense as far as being in high supply. For all intents and purposes though it would appear new buyers, maybe a good amount have entered the market. I've heard a theory that the sports card world has entered comics, and our census numbers are nothing compared to theirs with sports cards. So where we normally see high numbers like 29 9.6's, they see extreme rarity. With people that have hundreds of thousands/millions to spend, stuff like this DD1 happens. Anyway, just one theory to this seemingly overnight madness hm.

22 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

In a normal comic book selling world that number of copies in grade might make sense as far as being in high supply. For all intents and purposes though it would appear new buyers, maybe a good amount have entered the market. I've heard a theory that the sports card world has entered comics, and our census numbers are nothing compared to theirs with sports cards. So where we normally see high numbers like 29 9.6's, they see extreme rarity. With people that have hundreds of thousands/millions to spend, stuff like this DD1 happens. Anyway, just one theory to this seemingly overnight madness hm.

Not only that, but 26 copies in existence doesn't mean 26 copies available.  Supply & demand. 

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Very true (thumbsu.

Sure LDark but thats like saying the sky's blue pretty much. Of course not every book on the census is for sale. I think youre sport card hypothisis is true. Sport card people branching to comics is probably a factor, maybe even a big factor. 

2 hours ago, october said:

I haven't won anything significant at auction in well over a year. I don't even look anymore. 

That stinks. I know the feeling but maybe you need to adapt to the changing environment. By that I mean bid like a crazy person on everything you want. Its not funny though but don't give up completely.

39 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Im constantly being outbid also. It drives me nuts ...

Yep. I find this is my pattern. I bid over the highest recent sale mark - get outbid. Next one, same book- bid even higher than the one I lost last time- get outbid. And that's the cycle.

And it bugs me because in doing that I am contributing to the rising prices and making it even more difficult to win it the next time out. I find CC with their bidding system gives me a better shot because you get more than one chance to bid. I'm a last second bidder because I always lose when I bid early so I never do. I wish CC would have weekly auctions. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

33 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Sure LDark but thats like saying the sky's blue pretty much. Of course not every book on the census is for sale. I think youre sport card hypothisis is true. Sport card people branching to comics is probably a factor, maybe even a big factor. 

That stinks. I know the feeling but maybe you need to adapt to the changing environment. By that I mean bid like a crazy person on everything you want. Its not funny though but don't give up completely.

Yep. I find this is my pattern. I bid over the highest recent sale mark - get outbid. Next one, same book- bid even higher than the one I lost last time- get outbid. And that's the cycle.

And it bugs me because in doing that I am contributing to the rising prices and making it even more difficult to win it the next time out. I find CC with their bidding system gives me a better shot because you get more than one chance to bid. I'm a last second bidder because I always lose when I bid early so I never do. I wish CC would have weekly auctions. 

Well just to get scientific here for a moment haha, I believe the sky isn't blue, just simply how our eyes perceive scattered light. But yes, I hear ya on the additional rarity of what exists and is actually for sale.

11 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I find CC with their bidding system gives me a better shot because you get more than one chance to bid. I'm a last second bidder because I always lose when I bid early so I never do.

Yes, as a potential bidder I absolutely hate those blind Hail Mary snipe bids that seems to come in during the last few seconds of a CL auction which makes it virtually impossible for you to ever win a book.  :p

I much prefer the 3-minute extended bidding format which CC employs as it actually gives you lots of time to think and do a bit of analysis in order to help you figure out whether you should go up to the next bid increment or not.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

You guys have to MANNUP on your bids! :baiting:

I wish everyone else would just MANNDOWN with theirs. I know and I have a solution. I'll bid 1,000,000.00 with about 5 seconds left on everything I want. You know I better not, with my luck someone else is out there bidding 999,999.00 on everything. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, as a potential bidder I absolutely hate those blind Hail Mary snipe bids that seems to come in during the last few seconds of a CL auction which makes it virtually impossible for you to ever win a book.  :p

I much prefer the 3-minute extended bidding format which CC employs as it actually gives you lots of time to think and do a bit of analysis in order to help you figure out whether you should go up to the next bid increment or not.  (thumbsu

All that and its actually pretty fun. "100 dollars" you've been outbid. No way. "200 dollars" you've been out bid. Aw' raspberries. "300 dollars" you've been outbid. Ok one more. 400 dollars.......you won this auction. Boo-Yeah!  I won a Transformers #1 8.0! 

But it is a lot of fun.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:07 AM, lou_fine said:

For me that can fall either way.

I added more books to my collection the past two years from C'Link due to snipping. Books I'm sure I would have 'lost if extended bidding was at play. I never 'bomb bid' more than I can pay if I win, but thankfully my gambles topped what max pre bid was already in or any other last second counter snipes.

The extended bidding can be dangerous, can't tell you how many times it was "just one more bid, and I'm out! They must be ready to back down now" scenarios I've been in on CC. 

I know when to fold em though and there was only one time I went into overtime, and it was to obtain a Billy Wright Centaur.  What a high, lol. Thought it would never end, but eventually whoever I was bidding against decided to walk. And just as I was at my last last bid.

Honest 

Edited by sagii