• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, sagii said:

For me that can fall either way.

I added more books to my collection the past two years from C'Link due to snipping. Books I'm sure I would have 'lost if extended bidding was at play. I never 'bomb bid' more than I can pay if I win, but thankfully my gambles topped what max pre bid was already in or any other last second counter snipes.

The extended bidding can be dangerous, can't tell you how many times it was "just one more bid, and I'm out! They must be ready to back down now" scenarios I've been in on CC. 

I know when to fold em though and there was only one time I went into overtime, and it was to obtain a Billy Wright Centaur.  What a high, lol. Thought it would never end, but eventually whoever I was bidding on decided to walk. And just as I was at my last last bid.

Honest 

Sometimes bidding is more exciting than the comics themselves. :blush:

I've been surprised by prices before, but I've never been more shocked than I was by this result tonight. (I wasn't a bidder.)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/chilling-tales-15-youthful-magazines-1953-cgc-fn-65-off-white-pages/a/122112-17168.s

Edited by jimbo_7071

9 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I've been surprised by prices before, but I've never been more shocked than I was by this result tonight. (I wasn't a bidder.)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/chilling-tales-15-youthful-magazines-1953-cgc-fn-65-off-white-pages/a/122112-17168.s

That’s insane!

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Isn't that one of the signs of the coming End of Days?  :whatthe:

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

These Matt Fox Chilling books first got me into pch. 15 is particularly tough- in any shape, but especially in higher grades. 13 is fairly common. My favorite part are the hand trees. Awesome. $9000?  I would expect between 4-6, but you can’t argue when it comes to love.  

1 hour ago, Black Bat said:

These Matt Fox Chilling books first got me into pch. 15 is particularly tough- in any shape, but especially in higher grades. 13 is fairly common. My favorite part are the hand trees. Awesome. $9000?  I would expect between 4-6, but you can’t argue when it comes to love.  

Well, a similar raw copy sold for under $200 in '07, so even $4K would have been a stunning result.

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, a similar raw copy sold for under $200 in '07, so even $4K would have been a stunning result.

Well, if you are talking about books selling for $4K, then times must be really looney tune when even Funny Animal books like this one here fetching $4,080:  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/looney-tunes-and-merrie-melodies-comics-45-file-copy-dell-1945-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122112-17350.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Comics #45 File Copy (Dell, 1945) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Looks like they had about 7 of these Dell Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes books in tonight's auction with all of the other 6 books selling for between $1,320 to $2,640 save for one of them which sold for only $840.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are talking about books selling for $4K, then times must be really looney tune when even Funny Animal books like this one here fetching $4,080:  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/looney-tunes-and-merrie-melodies-comics-45-file-copy-dell-1945-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122112-17350.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Comics #45 File Copy (Dell, 1945) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Looks like they had about 7 of these Dell Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes books in tonight's auction with all of the other 6 books selling for between $1,320 to $2,640 save for one of them which sold for only $840.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Awesome! There were results like this on a few maybe two weeks ago as well. Also very high grade.

Maybe bought on by the Space Jam sequel? The Pepe Le Pew and Lola Bunny headlines? A franchise started in the 30's and updates and changes are still newsworthy and still the subject of big budget motion pictures as well as newly produced cartoon shorts.

I'd say it was about time. 

Edited by sagii

3 hours ago, sagii said:

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Awesome! There were results like this on a few maybe ago as well. Also very high grade.

Maybe bought on by the Space Jam sequel? The Pepe Le Pew and Lola Bunny headlines? A franchise started in the 30's and updates and changes are still newsworthy and still the subject of big budget motion pictures as well as newly produced cartoon shorts.

I'd say it was about time. 

It could be. I'd be curious to know how many bidders there were (not counting the low-ball bidders). There could be just two guys competing for high-grade copies.

LOL, sifted through the HA results and came here to talk about this Chilling Tales. I figured you guys would be on it!

Is it just me or are the colors of the HA scans back to looking super-amped again, after seeming to quiet down a bit last year? I hope the buyer of the FN- Startling #53 for $2K... with the auction amended to note chunks out of the first three page margins (!)... is pleased with the eye appeal in hand.

4 hours ago, october said:

Cool comic, but...:screwy:

Mine has better colors, so if anyone wants it for a reasonable $10,000 just PM me. :screwy::screwy:

001 (105).jpg

I don’t know that spine’s a little crooked...

now this on the other hand...

1D4CA007-5077-41BF-BB90-3367B3F5FE92.jpeg

Edited by Black Bat

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I hope the buyer of the FN- Startling #53 for $2K... with the auction amended to note chunks out of the first three page margins (!)... is pleased with the eye appeal in hand.

Yes indeed as I was rather surprised that one would go for that amount of money at almost 6X condition guide, especially considering that it was not only a raw copy, but also noted as having LARGE chunks out of the first few pages.  :whatthe:  :p

With a major defect like that, I am not sure if it has been fully factored into their raw grade of F- and if the book was ever certified, whether the CGC grade would come in much lower than that?  hm  (shrug)

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed as I was rather surprised that one would go for that amount of money at almost 6X condition guide, especially considering that it was not only a raw copy, but also noted as having LARGE chunks out of the first few pages.  :whatthe:  :p

With a major defect like that, I am not sure if it has been fully factored into their raw grade of F- and if the book was ever certified, whether the CGC grade would come in much lower than that?  hm  (shrug)

That's a good question. When the auction was amended, I assumed they meant it's now a Qualified FN-. It's probably more likely that the FN- was their original grade estimate factoring in the chunks, and that it's more like a Qualified VF or thereabouts, which makes the finishing price somewhat less zany. 

My question stands about the scans, though, as the eye appeal was certainly key to this final price. I really wonder. 

2 hours ago, Point Five said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's a good question. When the auction was amended, I assumed they meant it's now a Qualified FN-. It's probably more likely that the FN- was their original grade estimate factoring in the chunks, and that it's more like a Qualified VF or thereabouts, which makes the finishing price somewhat less zany. 

Not sure about Heritage's accuracy in terms of their own raw grading, but it sure seems like there was a lot of strength on the final prices for many of their raw books.  :whatthe:  (shrug)

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

My question stands about the scans, though, as the eye appeal was certainly key to this final price. I really wonder. 

From the comments that I have seen on the boards here and the same book being posted on other auction sitrs, I think it's best for bidders to assume that the real book when received in hand will most certainly NOT have the same eye appeal as what you are seeing from their scans. :mad:  (tsk)

On 3/23/2021 at 9:34 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

This is the second Signature auction in a row that the number of Golden Age books has been extremely low. (shrug)

Might be because I think they increased the frequency of how many Signature auctions they hold a year. So the offerings are spread out more. Just a guess .