• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
10 hours ago, sagii said:

Another observation: it's amazing considering how many auctions HA (weekly ones included) Comiclink and Comic Connect hold a year between the three of them, you can still go years sometimes and not see certain books . 

And yet... there's a Batman #1 in every auction...

Because it's the most common mega-key, by far.

The second most common is Captain America #1.

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Just a question here.............is this a Buy It Now price that the owner has knowingly set on the book themselves or is this the automated Make Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has on all of their completed auction lots?  hm

You know I'm not completely sure but that question is "Highly Significant" .

Highly Significant is indeed correct here, because if it is truly a Buy It Now, then it means that the owner of the book has set their Offer Price and you are in effect accepting their offer price.  If it is a Make Offer to Owner, YOU are in effect making an offer to the owner and it's then up to them whether THEY accept it or not.  (thumbsu

For example, I am 100% sure that the winner of this book here on HA had absolutely no problems accepting this offer less than a short week after winning the book:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

After all, who wouldn't in their right mind accept an offer of $200,000 less than a week after winning the book for only $49,293.75!!!  :takeit:  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Highly Significant is indeed correct here, because if it is truly a Buy It Now, then it means that the owner of the book has set their Offer Price and you are in effect accepting their offer price.  If it is a Make Offer to Owner, YOU are in effect making an offer to the owner and it's then up to them whether THEY accept it or not.  (thumbsu

For example, I am 100% sure that the winner of this book here on HA had absolutely no problems accepting this offer less than a short week after winning the book:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

After all, who wouldn't in their right mind accept an offer of $200,000 less than a week after weeking the book for only $49,293.75!!!  :takeit:  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana:

Holy Moly would you look at that. But first the way it it worded is simply BUY NOW.  Under that there is a green button which says "Buy Now From Owner". Under that is a "Make Offer" button. Seems fully explanatory. I'm sure you already know all this.

But! it does state under the Buy Now From Owner buttton " The owner of this item indicated they would sell this item at this amount on (Month,Day,Year), and it may no longer be available at that amount"....... So there it is, basically the Buy Now price doesn't mean JACK SQUAT! I do think they should come up with a way to make it so the owner must sell for the amount they offer and if they refuse then be banned from selling from that point on. Obviously Heritage can't force them to sell the book but they shouldn't allow owners to do this. Its like "How much for a pizza? "10 dollars".  "Sounds good I'll take one". Then when you go to pay they say "Ok that'll be 20 dollars". "But you said 10 dollars".  "Yeah,  but the price just went up like just now". 

That All Star 3. I see it says 200K in 2012 but now way. That's even more unbelievable than a tmnt 1 going for 90k two years ago. Gocollect has no listing of that sale either. But point taken.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Just a question here.............is this a Buy It Now price that the owner has knowingly set on the book themselves or is this the automated Make Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has on all of their completed auction lots?  hm

If it's the latter, this is just a system generated figure now set at 50% (used to be 30% until several months ago) above the winner's purchase price.  Most winning purchasers are not even aware of this feature and only find out about it after the fact (sometimes years later) when a prospective buyer hits the button and then it's up to them whether they want to accept this offer or not.  Can't remember if they allow you to counter offer or not, but I assume it would only make sense for them to allow you to do this.  (thumbsu

I've never ever put a book I won on Heritage up for an offer, but someone contacted me on a book several years ago to make one, much to my surprise, there was that button you mention here.. . The book was a Timely I won well over 10 years ago and they were offering me the "offer price" which was based on that sale.

When I found out what was happening, I asked them to remove the offers. I'm pretty sure they did that. I was not really thrilled that the buttons were there to begin with, but I figured I missed something in some fine print somewhere.

I’ve made two offers. The first was for a page 5 of Action 1. It had only just sold a year before, so I offered a respectful  bump(on top of the vig ya gotta pay heritage), and got told the owner wouldn’t sell at any price. End of story. The second offer, made 2 years after its initial Heritage sale, was more successful and netted me a keeper. It’s a worthwhile try, looking RECENT sales over, I think. If you look at books more than 2 years removed from the original Heritage sale, chances are the “buy it now” prices have become laughably low, and the original buyer probably doesn’t even have the book anymore 

4432E999-2E75-4962-B481-3C4043412C88.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

45 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I've never ever put a book I won on Heritage up for an offer, but someone contacted me on a book several years ago to make one, much to my surprise, there was that button you mention here.. . The book was a Timely I won well over 10 years ago and they were offering me the "offer price" which was based on that sale.

When I found out what was happening, I asked them to remove the offers. I'm pretty sure they did that. I was not really thrilled that the buttons were there to begin with, but I figured I missed something in some fine print somewhere.

They've played around with the default settings a couple times.  Early on, they defaulted every book to be available for offers and I had to individually turn that off.  Then I had to remember to keep turning it off as I won books.  Then, later I was able to set it so that all purchases show as "not for sale".

56 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Holy Moly would you look at that. But first the way it it worded is simply BUY NOW.  Under that there is a green button which says "Buy Now From Owner". Under that is a "Make Offer" button. Seems fully explanatory. I'm sure you already know all this.

But! it does state under the Buy Now From Owner buttton " The owner of this item indicated they would sell this item at this amount on (Month,Day,Year), and it may no longer be available at that amount"....... So there it is, basically the Buy Now price doesn't mean JACK SQUAT! I do think they should come up with a way to make it so the owner must sell for the amount they offer and if they refuse then be banned from selling from that point on. Obviously Heritage can't force them to sell the book but they shouldn't allow owners to do this. Its like "How much for a pizza? "10 dollars".  "Sounds good I'll take one". Then when you go to pay they say "Ok that'll be 20 dollars". "But you said 10 dollars".  "Yeah,  but the price just went up like just now". 

That All Star 3. I see it says 200K in 2012 but now way. That's even more unbelievable than a tmnt 1 going for 90k two years ago. Gocollect has no listing of that sale either. But point taken.

In the case of ebay, someone is proactively placing their item on the site in order to sell it.  There's a whole sales agreement you sign, and they make clear their rules as you put up each item.

Heritage has it (and had it) so that items won by a bidder were immediately available for offers, whether that collector explicitly authorized it or not.  Even though you didn't agree to be a seller, you de facto were made out to be one, and that leads to the confusion.

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

They've played around with the default settings a couple times.  Early on, they defaulted every book to be available for offers and I had to individually turn that off.  Then I had to remember to keep turning it off as I won books.  Then, later I was able to set it so that all purchases show as "not for sale".

Thanks, I think I was doing that for a while, but I forgot. The person who contacted me was pretty insistent about buying a book I didn't want to sell at a price that was kind of silly given the time difference, lol. 

I still have it;)

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

So there it is, basically the Buy Now price doesn't mean JACK SQUAT! I do think they should come up with a way to make it so the owner must sell for the amount they offer and if they refuse then be banned from selling from that point on. Obviously Heritage can't force them to sell the book but they shouldn't allow owners to do this.

I totally agree with you 110%.  :applause:

Since I love to go through old price catalogues, I want all of those dealers to be forced to sell me those books they have listed at the exact price point that they have them listed for.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:  :takeit:

Seriously though, I believe the way Heritage has their BIN and Make an Offer features set up, it's rather easy for any listed price in this kind of heated marketplace to become out of date after a few months, let alone several years.  Especially since you really can't expect the auction winners to keep going back into the system to update their price points on a HA feature that they are probably not even aware off.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Well, I believe if you've been around long enough like some of us old timers here, you would know the story about Anthony Chiofalo, the former in-house counsel for the Tandano Corporation who embezzled millions of dollars and then used the proceeds to purchase comic books for outlandish prices at the time:  (tsk)

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

I am not sure if GoCollect would collect data going back to 2012 as I am not even sure if they were around at that point in time.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

In the case of ebay, someone is proactively placing their item on the site in order to sell it.  There's a whole sales agreement you sign, and they make clear their rules as you put up each item.

Heritage has it (and had it) so that items won by a bidder were immediately available for offers, whether that collector explicitly authorized it or not.  Even though you didn't agree to be a seller, you de facto were made out to be one, and that leads to the confusion.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I totally agree with you 110%.  :applause:

Since I love to go through old price catalogues, I want all of those dealers to be forced to sell me those books they have listed at the exact price point that they have them listed for.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:  :takeit:

Seriously though, I believe the way Heritage has their BIN and Make an Offer features set up, it's rather easy for any listed price in this kind of heated marketplace to become out of date after a few months, let alone several years.  Especially since you really can't expect the auction winners to keep going back into the system to update their price points on a HA feature that they are probably not even aware off.  hm  (thumbsu

I checked my past winnings on heritage going back a few years and none of them are for sale or accepting offers. So I don't know how the heck it works. I have made a few offers over the past few months and all were turned down, but I was notified pretty quickly each time that the seller rejected the offer. That tells me they are fully aware their book/s are accepting offers. I think some people use it as a way to see just what people are willing to buy their book for but aren't going to sell unless they get some incredible offer. Oh well it is what it is. 

13 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I checked my past winnings on heritage going back a few years and none of them are for sale or accepting offers. So I don't know how the heck it works. I have made a few offers over the past few months and all were turned down, but I was notified pretty quickly each time that the seller rejected the offer. That tells me they are fully aware their book/s are accepting offers. I think some people use it as a way to see just what people are willing to buy their book for but aren't going to sell unless they get some incredible offer. Oh well it is what it is. 

I'm talking about how they have made this work over the last decade or so.

12 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I checked my past winnings on heritage going back a few years and none of them are for sale or accepting offers. So I don't know how the heck it works. I have made a few offers over the past few months and all were turned down, but I was notified pretty quickly each time that the seller rejected the offer. That tells me they are fully aware their book/s are accepting offers. 

I won an restored copy of an early key Fox book on Heritage back about 13 or 14 years ago and was not aware that offers were being accepted on the book until after I received an actual email notification from Heritage last year that an offer had been made on my book.  hm

Needless to say, I turned down the offer immediately and yet their system is still showing the Make Offer to Owner feature for this book.  Looks like this Make Offer to Owner program of theirs breaks it down into 4 different categories:  1)  Buy Now From Owner;  2)  Make Offer to Active Owner;  3)  Make Offer to Inactive Owner; and 4)  Make Offer to  Unverified Owner.  I assume I must then fall into one of the latter 3 categories, but don't want to try to figure out all of their definitions here.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I won an restored copy of an early key Fox book on Heritage back about 13 or 14 years ago and was not aware that offers were being accepted on the book until after I received an actual email notification from Heritage last year that an offer had been made on my book.  hm

Needless to say, I turned down the offer immediately and yet their system is still showing the Make Offer to Owner feature for this book.  Looks like this Make Offer to Owner program of theirs breaks it down into 4 different categories:  1)  Buy Now From Owner;  2)  Make Offer to Active Owner;  3)  Make Offer to Inactive Owner; and 4)  Make Offer to  Unverified Owner.  I assume I must then fall into one of the latter 3 categories, but don't want to try to figure out all of their definitions here.  (shrug)

Yeah its all messed up. They could just make it simple - if a winner of a book wants to entertain offers they (the winner/owner) can set it up for Make Offers, and only offers. Forget the Buy Now stuff because that is basically just an offer as well. And even better, the owner of the book needs to renew the Make Offer each month. 

On 3/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Ok thanks. I've got many a book from their auction but never from a BUY NOW listing. I can understand if its an old listing and the seller/owner had not updated it. I wouldn't expect an owner to follow through with a sale now for a book with a BUY NOW price from 2019 for example. But in my case the owner had just put it up for sale the day before. The listing was one day old, so jacking the price so quickly to me is a little slimey indeed.  So basically an owner can put a book for sale for X amount. If they recieve an offer for X amount they can then reject it and raise the price. And so on. It seems to be a method in which an owner/"seller" who has no intention to sell can use to gauge the actual market price they "would" be able to recieve if  they actually want to sell it. 

Oh well, it is what it is. I have no better solution to this method, other than not use the wording BUY NOW when in fact its not actually a BUY NOW method. 

So Mr F , I don't know what happened in your situation. I know from the email from heritage that the seller was able to reject my offer of the full BUY NOW price. Maybe accepting the BUY NOW is not as simplistic. I hope you at least ultimately got the price you wanted for it. 

For the reasons you discussed, I seldom bother with Heritage's Make-An-Offer feature. In one case I made a strong offer on a book an the owner rejected the offer but listed the book in an auction a month or so later. Of course I didn't bid, and the book sold for substantially less than what I had offered.

I've never had anyone make an offer on anything I've won... but I think that says more about what I tend to win than anything else... :(

On a side note... I see my old "Fairborn" copy of Showcase #4 is back at auction again, though it's already at a "tad more" than I sold it for in 1992...

On 3/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Hi ya'll. I just learned something about buying on Heritage. An owner of a book they won on auction put it up Monday with a BUY NOW price of 1,500. Yesterday (Tuesday) I clicked BUY NOW for the full amount. Today (Wednesday) they responded and said they want 2,000 for it now.

There is something about that that doesn't sit right with me. If one clicks by BUY NOW for the price the seller is offering it for they are committed to buying it for the price offered. Apparently the seller is not committed. Its kind of like dangling a carrot in front of a plow mule. Imagine if one of us put a book for sale here for a price and when someone posted an :takeit: we then said now the price is 500 dollars more. I think we'd get blacklisted pretty quickly. Anyway this has nothing to do with the current auction so I'll just fade off into the sunset now.

You should contact Heritage and point that out... if the communication was in-system then it should be easy to present. I doubt they want to promote that sort of activity on their official site. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

55 minutes ago, Bookery said:

On a side note... I see my old "Fairborn" copy of Showcase #4 is back at auction again, though it's already at a "tad more" than I sold it for in 1992...

Hi Tim

I think I remember a story about the Fairborn collection in the Comic Buyer's Guide, when you first discovered it back in the early 1990s. From what I remember, there were DC keys in it from that hard to get period of the early to mid-1950s and weren't the books stored in an aluminum trash can or something? I think Joe V was a buyer of some the keys (including this Showcase 4) when he first started JHV Associates after Sparkle City was absorbed by Geppi.

It seems the "Fairborn" pedigree/collection has suffered the fate of others (i.e. Mile High II, etc.) and is no longer included in CGC's recognized pedigree list. I think it sometimes gets confused with the Ohio pedigree that came out of Akron a couple of years, after you discovered this.

Is there anything else you can share on the background/story of this Fairborn collection?

Thanks