• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

This post may get removed for talking about the competition, but truly I mean no disrespect to CGC. It has been my observation that the value of similar books can vary widely depending on whose holder it’s in. Case in point in the current Heritage auction: 2 books which look very similar, IMHO, are sitting at 2 different prices:  the book in the CGC holder has been bid up to exactly double that of a similar book sitting in a competitors holder. Be interesting to see the final tally.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-annual-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/7242-91039.s

9BC26932-A092-4DB3-8E80-768AC2093689.jpeg

V.      https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-annual-1-marvel-1963-cbcs-nm-96-white-pages/a/7242-92137.s

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

33 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This post may get removed for talking about the competition, but truly I mean no disrespect to CGC. It has been my observation that the value of similar books can vary widely depending on whose holder it’s in. Case in point in the current Heritage auction: 2 books which look very similar, IMHO, are sitting at 2 different prices:  the book in the CGC holder has been bid up to exactly double that of a similar book sitting in a competitors holder. Be interesting to see the final tally.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-annual-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/7242-91039.s

V.      https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-annual-1-marvel-1963-cbcs-nm-96-white-pages/a/7242-92137.s

Holy cow, that book is incredible! :cloud9:

27 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Hi Tim

I think I remember a story about the Fairborn collection in the Comic Buyer's Guide, when you first discovered it back in the early 1990s. From what I remember, there were DC keys in it from that hard to get period of the early to mid-1950s and weren't the books stored in an aluminum trash can or something? I think Joe V was a buyer of some the keys (including this Showcase 4) when he first started JHV Associates after Sparkle City was absorbed by Geppi.

It seems the "Fairborn" pedigree/collection has suffered the fate of others (i.e. Mile High II, etc.) and is no longer included in CGC's recognized pedigree list. I think it sometimes gets confused with the Ohio pedigree that came out of Akron a couple of years, after you discovered this.

Is there anything else you can share on the background/story of this Fairborn collection?

Thanks

Your recollections are pretty accurate.  Joe tossed away the certificates I had made for the books, so the provenance on the others has been lost over time.  I'm not sure who tracked down or had CGC put the "Ohio-Fairborn" designation on the label, but it is the only book that has it, to the best of my knowledge (and it's still in the "old" label I see).  I don't think the collection would have qualified for pedigree status, however.  Not enough books, nor complete enough, nor enough keys.  There were about 300 DC hero comics from a short range in the mid-50s (and a few Quality Blackhawks).  By today's standards, most would have graded 7.0 to 9.4.

There were only a few true "keys" in the group... 6 Showcase issues (3 Flash and 3 Challengers... the Showcase 4 was actually probably the lowest-grade in the group) and the Adventure 210.  At the time the collection got a lot of attention.  But with all of the high-grades that CGC has graded over the years now, I'm not sure how significant it would be seen today.  Nearly all of the books did have that red "S" in wax-pencil on the covers.  I do recall one of the Showcase issues (12?) being truly spectacular... maybe a 9.4-9.6 by today's standards.  

20 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Your recollections are pretty accurate.  Joe tossed away the certificates I had made for the books, so the provenance on the others has been lost over time.  I'm not sure who tracked down or had CGC put the "Ohio-Fairborn" designation on the label, but it is the only book that has it, to the best of my knowledge (and it's still in the "old" label I see).  I don't think the collection would have qualified for pedigree status, however.  Not enough books, nor complete enough, nor enough keys.  There were about 300 DC hero comics from a short range in the mid-50s (and a few Quality Blackhawks).  By today's standards, most would have graded 7.0 to 9.4.

There were only a few true "keys" in the group... 6 Showcase issues (3 Flash and 3 Challengers... the Showcase 4 was actually probably the lowest-grade in the group) and the Adventure 210.  At the time the collection got a lot of attention.  But with all of the high-grades that CGC has graded over the years now, I'm not sure how significant it would be seen today.  Nearly all of the books did have that red "S" in wax-pencil on the covers.  I do recall one of the Showcase issues (12?) being truly spectacular... maybe a 9.4-9.6 by today's standards.  

I remember the Showcase 8.  I thought seriously about getting it.  IIRC, it had what looked like a subscription crease down the center, but it wasn't a subscription crease.  I finally decided the kid who originally purchased it rode his bike home from the drugstore with the book folded up in his back pocket

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

6 Showcase issues (3 Flash and 3 Challengers

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

Nearly all of the books did have that red "S" in wax-pencil on the covers

Possible Fairborn copy misidentified from the Ohio pedigree instead? (shrug)

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Showcase #7 Ohio pedigree (DC, 1957) CGC VF 8.0 White pages. This issue features the second appearance of the Challengers of...

53 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Possible Fairborn copy misidentified from the Ohio pedigree instead? (shrug)

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Showcase #7 Ohio pedigree (DC, 1957) CGC VF 8.0 White pages. This issue features the second appearance of the Challengers of...

Interesting.  I believe that was one of the 3 Challengers issues (I believe #11 was missing from the group).  It also has the "S" (though not red this time... but some may not have been?).  White pages notation.  Old label.  I think there's a pretty good chance you are correct.

9 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

5 days will tell the story.

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You should contact Heritage and point that out... if the communication was in-system then it should be easy to present. I doubt they want to promote that sort of activity on their official site. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Hey there jimbo, actually I did write them a brief message inquiring how their BUY NOW system works and asking why have a BUY NOW price if the owner can just ask for more after you click BUY NOW. Wouldn't you know it they said........ (copied and pasted):

"Thank you for your response! Heritage agrees and I will be forwarding this to our Executive Group for them to look over. More than likely this owner will be suspended from the program due to this issue. If it is deemed an honest mistake then we don’t want to be toon drastic but if our Executive Group deems this to eb an issue we will take the proper actions. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there are nay other books you may be interested in"

I'm not going to push it but to be clear I clicked BUY NOW one day after the owner set the BUY NOW price. So it wasn't an honest mistake.

12 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I get legitimate offers and also get cheeky-to-insulting offers for my books and art all the time. 

I haven't picked the opt out default setting because I don't mind receiving offers.  It's literally one click of a button to reject an offer, so it's not like there's a massive inconvenience in being open to receiving offers.

It can be amusing to see some of the opportunistic bottom-fishing.  A page of GA OA sold in the last auction at a shockingly high price, and I almost immediately received a very cheeky offer to buy my OA page by the same artist from the same title (but superior to the one that had just sold, in my opinion) at about 20% above my purchase price (but way below the recent winning price).  I tipped my hat in admiration of the chutzpah of the offeror before quickly counter-offering with a price in line with the recent price, which of course was not accepted. 

I get that. Nothing wrong with entertaining offers. I'm all for that.  My beef was only with the BUY NOW option. But anyway it seems my problem just fixed itself as I just got one of a little higher grade than I was looking for. I usually consider a 2nd appearance should be worth at least 10% of what the 1st appearance is selling for. With X-Men 1 7.0's selling for around 30K now I guess I did ok with this. It was an X-Men 2 I was trying to get .

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dx%2Dmen%2B2%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1458678&id=1458678&itemType=0

GA's begin ending on Monday. Good Luck to anyone here bidding

18 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

No worries here for you as long as this same price spread differential continues right through to the end of the auction.  :gossip:

In fact, if it does they might even co-opt your post here and post it right on their Home Page for all prospective customers to see.  In addition, they might even send it out in their next newsletter to all of their email subscribers.  I still remember when CGC first opened their doors and they were constantly running ads with side-by-side pictures of raw books and slabbed books showing how CGC graded books would sell for huge multiples to equivalent graded raw books.  You never know, they just might do updated versions of these same ads with side-by side comparisons, but not to raw graded books this time.  :devil:

Now, if the price differential was showing the reverse way, no doubt this naughty post of yours would have been wiped right off the boards before anybody could even glimspe it and you would have been banished to the CGC sin bin with the keys possibly thrown away.  (tsk)  (tsk)  lol

26 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I didn’t know all the big prerobins were up. I’d seen one, saw it was trimmed, and turned away. I think those are low prices, even for trimmed

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I didn’t know all the big prerobins were up. I’d seen one, saw it was trimmed, and turned away. I think those are low prices, even for trimmed

Me too. I actually just noticed them about 10 minutes before they were going to end. So they said 10 leaves, which I suppose is the same as wraps. I too think those prices may be low. If I didn't have my eye on a few upcoming books I think I would have tried to obtain the #38 and had them graded. The entire first Robin story in nice shiny new CGC holders purple label or not would have looked pretty good hanging atop my mantlepiece.