• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

pandemic on last legs... party is almost over. Pretty soon it will be just us and the crickets and tumbleweeds buying comics again.

You might be right. This might be the high point, after which we fall back to earth. Which makes buying decisions really hard right now

Tough market to be buying in... prob not a great time to lock in on grails and keys. But, also prob a new dawn in all investment categories so who knows?  Stock market has  been rising for a decade too.  Dow at 33K ?/. S&P at 4000? What the?  It would be so much easier to understand and plan if we only knew who is doing the buying at these prices.  Has Heritage been adding new accounts like crazy for the past year? Or mostly still same bidders? 

21 hours ago, batman_fan said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are saying that Matt's no longer with CGC?  lol

Have they transitioned to Jason already and looking for their next maximization of potential opportunity to solicit regrades?  :devil:

Is someone actively trolling for a strike?  :baiting:

No need for me to troll for a strike since it would seem that the CGC sin bin is pretty much a regular pit stop for me.  lol

Although Mod1 seems to be trolling me when it comes to threads about Covid-19 or the Post Office, I have yet to be banished for any of my posts when it comes to grading.  Although I do indeed jokingly point out some of the negative aspects of CGC, I do admit that all of us here as collectors or buyers and sellers of comic books are far better off and safer with CGC here, then if we did not have them here.  :applause:

Although nothing is ever perfect, just wish that they can sometimes be a bit more consistent when it comes to some of their grading.  Of course this is difficult to achieve since grading is just a professional subjective opinion at a particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science.  Especially when it comes to grading over different time periods, as that Four Color 22 was graded back in 2019 as compared to the More Fun 73 which was graded just a couple of months ago. (shrug)

Then again, this book which I saw in another thread here was graded only about 5 weeks ago and yet the front cover scan (no back cover scan as per usual with a CL auction :censored:) sure looks much more presentable with its sharper corners and much much less spine wear than the slightly higher 7.5 graded copy of More Fun 73:  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dzip%2Bjet%2B%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1467850&id=1467850&itemType=0

I00054771670000113793276003.jpg

I know, it must have been that nasty looking "S" done with the black felt pen marker that brought the grade all the way down.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

15 hours ago, Aman619 said:

pandemic on last legs... party is almost over. Pretty soon it will be just us and the crickets and tumbleweeds buying comics again.

So, are you saying that I will now be able to pick up a copy of Transformers #1 in the loonie bin box again instead of trying to save up my $44K?  lol

Especially since I thought I had a copy of that invaluable book, but guess I must have stopped buying the first 3 issues of all of those countless new series that Marvel was trying to offload to the collecting public back then.  Totally pissed me off as they were also raising prices at the same time and seemingly trying to bankrupt poor collectors like me by trying to make us fork over another dollar for another one of their crapola new books back then.  :p  :censored:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No need for me to troll for a strike since it would seem that the CGC sin bin is pretty much a regular pit stop for me.  lol

Although Mod1 seems to be trolling me when it comes to threads about Covid-19 or the Post Office, I have yet to be banished for any of my posts when it comes to grading.  Although I do indeed jokingly point out some of the negative aspects of CGC, I do admit that all of us here as collectors or buyers and sellers of comic books are far better off and safer with CGC here, then if we did not have them here.  :applause:

Although nothing is ever perfect, just wish that they can sometimes be a bit more consistent when it comes to some of their grading.  Of course this is difficult to achieve since grading is just a professional subjective opinion at a particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science.  Especially when it comes to grading over different time periods, as that Four Color 22 was graded back in 2019 as compared to the More Fun 73 which was graded just a couple of months ago. (shrug)

Then again, this book which I saw in another thread here was graded only about 5 weeks ago and yet the front cover scan (no back cover scan as per usual with a CL auction :censored:) sure looks much more presentable with its sharper corners and much much less spine wear than the slightly higher 7.5 graded copy of More Fun 73:  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dzip%2Bjet%2B%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1467850&id=1467850&itemType=0

I00054771670000113793276003.jpg

I know, it must have been that nasty looking "S" done with the black felt pen marker that brought the grade all the way down.  :screwy:

such a striking cover! colors really pop, and the feathering ink style is awesome here

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you saying that I will now be able to pick up a copy of Transformers #1 in the loonie bin box again instead of trying to save up my $44K?  lol

Forget the Transformers #1.  What you need is the first 3 issues of Shogun Warriors from the Tri-colorBrian Looney Bin...only $43.95K...

51090617256_81cfced18c_c.jpg

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 4/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, Aman619 said:

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I had --- or have --- a 9.8... its in my database.  But until I locate it again who knows!  Im rich!  (or was it a 9.9 that sold for that much??)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it was indeed a CGC 9.9 graded copy that sold for $44,000:  :screwy:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtransformers%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1452303&id=1452303&itemType=0

00063922399000111127459004.jpg

If yours is only a piddly CGC 9.8 graded copy, you'll be lucky if you can find somebody to pay you even $44 for it.  :devil:

Dag gone these CGC label chasers!!!  lol

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

13.7 million so far, WOW the market is RED HOT

Everything that I was tracking and thinking about buying went for prices that shattered existing records.  I've never seen the GA market this hot.  Even books for which I thought I paid way too much in the past now look like brilliant investments.

Well, if you take a look at the current results for the CC Event Auction after almost 2 full weeks in, you certainly wouldn't think the market was that RED HOT.  (shrug)

With a total of 153 pages of items up for auction, if you do a sort from Lowest Price upwards, the first 22 pages or over 14% of the auction lots are still sitting at a loonie as they are still awaiting their first bid.  The next 24 pages or a further 16% has still to hit double digits as they are sitting there with high bids of under $10.  :p

As for the GA market being hot, I think it really depends on the book in question as I can see highest graded copies of GA pedigrees or file copies from the late 30's and early 40's with only a handful of copies graded to date (i.e. 5 copies or less) still sitting there with low single digit dollar bids.  It looks like what's really hot with today's generation of deep pocketed crypto investors and sports card traders are more recent highest graded BA and CA issues with that big #1 first appearance and thousands upon absolute thousands of copies already slabbed in HG condition.  :screwy:  (:

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you take a look at the current results for the CC Event Auction after almost 2 full weeks in, you certainly wouldn't think the market was that RED HOT.  (shrug)

With a total of 153 pages of items up for auction, if you do a sort from Lowest Price upwards, the first 22 pages or over 14% of the auction lots are still sitting at a loonie as they are still awaiting their first bid.  The next 24 pages or a further 16% has still to hit double digits as they are sitting there with high bids of under $10.  :p

As for the GA market being hot, I think it really depends on the book in question as I can see highest graded copies of GA pedigrees or file copies from the late 30's and early 40's with only a handful of copies graded to date (i.e. 5 copies or less) still sitting there with low single digit dollar bids.  It looks like what's really hot with today's generation of deep pocketed crypto investors and sports card traders are more recent highest graded BA and CA issues with that big #1 first appearance and thousands upon absolute thousands of copies already slabbed in HG condition.  :screwy:  (:

Now I have to figure out how to sort from the bottom up so I can shop...

I have a few books listed that are lower than expected, hopefully they will go up, this is a LONG auction. However, I don't mind shopping and getting some bargains, either. I have some room in my boxes, lol.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:56 AM, Aman619 said:

Tough market to be buying in... prob not a great time to lock in on grails and keys. But, also prob a new dawn in all investment categories so who knows?  Stock market has  been rising for a decade too.  Dow at 33K ?/. S&P at 4000? What the?  It would be so much easier to understand and plan if we only knew who is doing the buying at these prices.  Has Heritage been adding new accounts like crazy for the past year? Or mostly still same bidders? 

i've only been on the boards for 4 years now but seeing how many new boardies have just appeared this year, particularly in the SA, BA and COPPER OR MODERN books sections, certainly supports the argument that many new investors are getting into comics now, as they have gotten into many other collectibles as well. a lot of people appear to have done very well last year. i'm not sure an end to the pandemic will change that so much.

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Now I have to figure out how to sort from the bottom up so I can shop...

Hey Sharon;

It's really very very simple.  :gossip:

All you have to do is open up your webpage to their current Event Auction 45 (i.e. not their daily listings) which indicates a total of 3,058 items for this auction. You then simply move your mouse to the left and select the sort that you want as their default sort is set to Ending Soonest.  From here, you can select sort by Price Highest/Lowest, Grade Highest/Lowest, or whatever else you want.  (thumbsu

Another favorite of mines is to go a bit lower and filter by the various pedigrees.  The first pedigree which I usually look for is the Allentown since that is my favorite GA pedigree due to its limited size and HG condition, which in this case indicates none in their inventory as it doesn't show up.  Or if you want the Church Mile High books (cheap Westerns for me (thumbsu), it looks like they have 30 in their inventory with 7 of them up in this current auction.  Another that I usually look for are Dell File Copies, but only from the late 30's and very early 40's due primarily to their blow away condition and strong bold Church-like colors, because for some reason the later time periods do not appear to be consistently as strong.  Still hoping to get me a bargain San Francisco one day since that's one of the few GA pedigree samples that I still don't have in my collection yet.  :luhv:

Well, you should get the idea by now and definitely makes it a lot easier to filter and search for your favorite pedigrees to see if their are any cheap ones that you might be able to snap up under the radar.  :applause:  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:luhv:

Well, you should get the idea by now and definitely makes it a lot easier to filter and search for your favorite pedigrees to see if their are any cheap ones that you might be able to snap up under the radar.  :applause:  :wishluck:

Dearest Lou Fine,

Could u do a summary of the high grade pulp auction since it seems like u are on HA.com daily? Recommend posting it in the moribund Pulp forum.