• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Looks like the highest graded Archie’s aren’t immune to the price inflation. Sadly I didn’t Man Up. 

Well, although the highest graded Archie's have apparently joined the party at Heritage, it would appear that some of the non-highest graded copies are still waiting to receive their invitations at CC:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/902644

arc4.355.jpg

Looks like this copy of an Archie first issue along with quite a few other GA Archie's must be feeling a bit stood up like poor Betty here as they are still sitting at $1 awaiting their first bid.  :mad:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2021 at 11:55 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope all of you have your copies of Adventure 48 before Hourman makes his big silver screen appearance as part of the next pahse of the DCEU movie franchise.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

I was only kidding about the potential impact of the eventual Hourman movie since movie hype seldom ever go as far back as the GA books, but did somebody finally breathe some life into these Adventure Comics after being dormant and pretty much dead for longer than Rip Van Winkle:  zzz  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/adventure-comics-59-dc-1941-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/7242-96001.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F5%2F7%2F9%2F23579206%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Can't believe this one here sold for over guide, let along more than double condition guide when the GA Adventure run of books normally have a tough time even fetching guide over the past couple of decades.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I was only kidding about the potential impact of the eventual Hourman movie since movie hype seldom ever go as far back as the GA books, but did somebody finally breathe some life into these Adventure Comics after being dormant and pretty much dead for longer than Rip Van Winkle:  zzz  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F5%2F7%2F9%2F23579206%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Can't believe this one here sold for over guide, let along more than double condition guide when the GA Adventure run of books normally have a tough time even fetching guide over the past couple of decades.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :applause:

Wondering if this boom could extend to Star Spangled Comics.

18 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Wondering if this boom could extend to Star Spangled Comics.

Well, maybe not quite that far yet as the sports card traders, Gamestoppers, and crypto investors probably haven't discovered Star Spangled yet since this one here barely managed to fetch condition guide, although those staples do appear to be a bit of a problem:  :(  (shrug)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Star Spangled Comics #1 (DC, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white pages....

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Dearest Lou Fine,

Could u do a summary of the high grade pulp auction since it seems like u are on HA.com daily? Recommend posting it in the moribund Pulp forum.

Hey Allan;

Sorry, as I definitely can't be of much help to you here since I haven't really paid much attention to the pulps at all, and in fact, did not even realize that there was a Pulp Forum on these boards here.  :facepalm:

Although I did indeed have a passing interest in some of the Spicy related pulps a few years ago, my inability to acquire any of them at reasonable prices in the grade that I wanted kind of dampened my interest in the entire Pulp field.  :(

Looks like this one-shot book managed to fetched more than 10X top of guide and also more than double what it went for in the Berk Auction a few years ago:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-courageous-comics-6-mile-high-pedigree-periodical-house-ace-magazines-1942-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7242-96017.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F1%2F5%2F23615046%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A nice tidy return for the consignor as it sold for $20,400 this time as compared to only $8,100 when sold by Berk.  I guess it was probably helped along by the fact that it might possibly have gone through the CPR process as it was only slabbed as a CGC 9.4 graded copy on the first go round in the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017.  hm  

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like this one-shot book managed to fetched more than 10X top of guide and also more than double what it went for in the Berk Auction a few years ago:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-courageous-comics-6-mile-high-pedigree-periodical-house-ace-magazines-1942-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7242-96017.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F1%2F5%2F23615046%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A nice tidy return for the consignor as it sold for $20,400 this time as compared to only $8,100 when sold by Berk.  I guess it was probably helped along by the fact that it might possibly have gone through the CPR process as it was only slabbed as a CGC 9.4 graded copy on the first go round in the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017.  hm  

Higher grade and white pages will do it every time, great cover. the auction total at 15.6 M is probably a record, there is one last auction set to go to get the final total

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, there's a noticeable difference, but rather than raising the grade to a 9.6, it's one that should have reduced the book from a 9.4 to a 9.2. Just look at the damage at both (seemingly sunken) staples caused by the pressing.  That damage did not exist when it was a 9.4 with an untouched, rounded spine:  

cap53.10a.jpgComicConnect - 

This is what I truly hate about the pressing game.

Edited by RareHighGrade

6 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, there's a noticeable difference, but rather than raising the grade to a 9.6, it's one that should have reduced the book from a 9.4 to a 9.2. Just look at the damage at both (seemingly sunken) staples caused by the pressing.  That damage did not exist when it was a 9.4 with an untouched, rounded spine:  

keep-calm-and-stop-the-presses.png

9 minutes ago, Timely said:

That’s what I’m liking about original art. No need to press art so it can be better than another. There is only one. No need to press a 9.4 piece of art to a 9.6. And you don’t loose money when one grades higher than yours!

This is why so many high end comic collectors have moved into OA.

It's no coincidence that comics have almost become an afterthought in Heritage's Signature auctions. 

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, although the highest graded Archie's have apparently joined the party at Heritage, it would appear that some of the non-highest graded copies are still waiting to receive their invitations at CC:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/902644

Looks like this copy of an Archie first issue along with quite a few other GA Archie's must be feeling a bit stood up like poor Betty here as they are still sitting at $1 awaiting their first bid.  :mad:

That's because no one can find it on their website.

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, maybe not quite that far yet as the sports card traders, Gamestoppers, and crypto investors probably haven't discovered Star Spangled yet since this one here barely managed to fetch condition guide, although those staples do appear to be a bit of a problem:  :(  (shrug)

Wouldn't copies of Star Spangled fetching condition guide be the equivalent of double guide for most other titles?

59 minutes ago, tth2 said:

It's no coincidence that comics have almost become an afterthought in Heritage's Signature auctions. 

You forgot to add you love this hobby!

23 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
1 hour ago, tth2 said:

You forgot to add you love this hobby!

Too sad to display my trademark sarcasm.

11 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Looks like CCS did the work on it.

16 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Totally agree with you and although I still see CGC as a net benefit for all of us here, this is the part of the whole grading game that I do indeed hate.  :mad:  :censored:

Not a big surprise and totally expected though when this whole pressing fiasco was outed on these boards here way back in 2005 and CGC gave the process its seal of approval by calling it as nothing more than "maximization of potential".  Although most of us called potential conflict of interest when CCG bought out Matt Nelson's Classics Incorporated back in 2012, I am sure what we saw as conflict of interest, the ownership group at CCG saw what they say in the Corporate business world as business synergies just waiting to be unlocked.  This was clearly done when they upped their game in 2016 when Matt took control of grading at CGC and from that point forwards, their undisclosed grading standards were subtly changed to ensure that pressing became a key and critical part of the entire grading game.  (tsk)

And that there is one of the primary reasons why I hate this whole current grading game since pressing is now so embedded within the grades that I have been told on many occasions that it would be totally absurb to submit a book straight in for grading without at least having a pre-screen for pressing (for a fee of course :devil:) done on the book first, unless you don't mind receiving punishment grades on your books.  Absolutely makes no sense from a collector's point of view to hammer the grade of a book by 2 or 3 grade decrements for a few tiny NCB spine ticks that can only be seen when the book is held up at a certain angle to the light, and yet give a pass or even a grade increment to books with visible pressing related defects on them.  Although Borock initially claimed that books that were improperly pressed would be downgraded for these associated defects during the grading process, it has become quite apparent that this is now no longer the case ever since Matt shifted over to the grading side of the business and left the CCS work to a bunch of seeming newbies who are just simply not as qualified when it comes to pressing.  Makes perfect sense from a coporate business point of view though since you certainly wouldn't want to have in place undisclosed grading standards that would serve only to hurt your top and bottom lines.  Especially when this whole grading game means more money for everybody involved who plays by their rules.  :devil:

Speaking of possible grading defects, is that a squashed bottom staple area from an improperly executed pressing job that I am looking at here:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DGIANT-SIZE%2BX-MEN%2B1%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1468605&id=1468605&itemType=0

01291551698000082005489005.jpg

If so, I guess it didn't really matter though since the CGC graders still gave it a 9.8 grade and the consignor must have been ecstatic with it since this copy here  :p still managed to fetched a record $67,900 (for now :taptaptap:) in the just completed CL Focus Auction. :whee:  :banana:   :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wouldn't copies of Star Spangled fetching condition guide be the equivalent of double guide for most other titles?

Yes indeed as these newbie NFT traders probably really don't know what they are doing when they are willing to pay $2,640 or more than triple condition VF guide for this copy of Leading Comics 2 when this not so much in demand DC title normally seems to sell at only a big discount to guide:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/leading-comics-2-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1942-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7242-96035.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|0

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Leading Comics #2 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 White pages....

Sure, it's the Church Mile High copy here, but then again, it's a Leading Comics that we are talking about here.  hm  :applause:

11 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Doesn't look 9.8 to me.

:idea:  I guess the only way to tell for sure is for you to contact CL so that they can let the winner know you are willing to buy the book from them (at a higher price point of course :bigsmile:) so that you can crack it out of the slab and check it out for yourself.  lol

17 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

ComicConnect - 

CapCourage Spine compare.jpg