• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks for posting the side-by-side comparison.  It shows that one of the "improvement" attempts was to re-press the spine so that part of the front cover rolled to the back (I remember a whole thread from a couple of years ago criticizing this technique).  CGC shouldn't incentivize this type of behavior by giving gift grades to now-damaged books.

The reason this bothers me so much is that, when it comes to Church GA books, they are one-of-a-kind items.  Once the damage is done, the book can never be returned to its original beautiful state, and there is no other similar copy to replace it.  They should instead be treated like priceless heirlooms for whom we are simply temporary caretakers. :(

It was for a tiny bump of .2 from 9.4 to 9.6.  Would the auction result have been much different if the book was unpressed?

58 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks for posting the side-by-side comparison.  It shows that one of the "improvement" attempts was to re-press the spine so that part of the front cover rolled to the back (I remember a whole thread from a couple of years ago criticizing this technique).  CGC shouldn't incentivize this type of behavior by giving gift grades to now-damaged books.

The reason this bothers me so much is that, when it comes to Church GA books, they are one-of-a-kind items.  Once the damage is done, the book can never be returned to its original beautiful state, and there is no other similar copy to replace it.  They should instead be treated like priceless heirlooms for whom we are simply temporary caretakers. :(

criminal..this sickens me to my stomach...

Either I'm hallucinating or the Sunday night auction was just given another 24 hours. I was waiting for it to begin at 7pm est, at 7:15 it said it will start in 5 minutes. I came back into the room at 7:30 to see if it started and now it says auction starts in 23 hours 20 something minutes. 

Yeah, ummm. Hmmmm? I hate to be That Guy but I don't think that's quite right. I have some auctions ending on e bay tonight, maybe I could give them another day to get more bids. For some reason the word unethical keeps popping into my head. 

10 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Either I'm hallucinating or the Sunday night auction was just given another 24 hours. I was waiting for it to begin at 7pm est, at 7:15 it said it will start in 5 minutes. I came back into the room at 7:30 to see if it started and now it says auction starts in 23 hours 20 something minutes. 

Yeah, ummm. Hmmmm? I hate to be That Guy but I don't think that's quite right. I have some auctions ending on e bay tonight, maybe I could give them another day to get more bids. For some reason the word unethical keeps popping into my head. 

They are saying that they are having technical difficulties. The announcement is on the main page of comics auction area. 

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

CapCourage Spine compare.jpg

Nice left hand side-by-side before and after comparison of the changes to the spine.  (thumbsu

Can you also do one on the right hand side for us here since I can't figure out why they look so different, or is that just a color scanning issue between the 2 companies?  hm  (shrug)

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

They are saying that they are having technical difficulties. The announcement is on the main page of comics auction area. 

Thanks, I see that now. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

It shows that one of the "improvement" attempts was to re-press the spine so that part of the front cover rolled to the back (I remember a whole thread from a couple of years ago criticizing this technique).  CGC shouldn't incentivize this type of behavior by giving gift grades to now-damaged books.

From your above post here, it is quite clear that you are showing your age here :preach: and approaching this from the point of view of a long time comic book collector whose place is relagated more towards the back seat of this current red hot and sexy in vogue marketplace of ours.  :(

Clearly, what you are seeing as now-damaged books are in fact actually books which have been flattened and now maximized to their full potential.  It's best that you check your calendar because it's now 2021 whereby vintage collectible comic books are best treated as vehicles to be used by their owners for the purposes of acquiring more money.  :devil:

After all, hasn't it always been all about the money, and as long as all parties involved are getting more of it, shouldn't we all be good to go.  :mad:  :censored:

55 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Nice left hand side-by-side before and after comparison of the changes to the spine.  (thumbsu

Can you also do one on the right hand side for us here since I can't figure out why they look so different, or is that just a color scanning issue between the 2 companies?  hm  (shrug)

Righ compare.jpg

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

It was for a tiny bump of .2 from 9.4 to 9.6.  Would the auction result have been much different if the book was unpressed?

possibly as 9.6 to me it is a serious upgrade from 9.4

Edited by Mmehdy

30 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Righ compare.jpg

Thanks for the right hand side-by-side comparison here.  (thumbsu

Thought that I was seeing some kind of slight dust shadow or sun shadow on the 9.6 copy which was not as apparent on the 9.4 copy.  I assume this must be due to a color scanning issue since I don't believe that it could be due to improper storage over such a short period of time.  hm  (shrug)

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

9.6 > 9.4, and there's less chance of another 9.6 copy emerging than another 9.4 copy, thus giving the buyer more assurance that his/her copy will remain the best copy in the Census.

So yeah.

Edited by tth2

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
9 minutes ago, tth2 said:

9.6 > 9.4, so yeah.

It was the sole highest copy by a mile when it was a 9.4.  There isn't always much difference when it's sole highest 9.4 vs. 9.6 on a scarce GA Church book.

You know that, and I know that, but do the label collectors know that?

Just providing insight into the neurotic psyche of label collectors.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

possibly as 9.6 to me it is a serious upgrade from 9.4

Not so much if it's a HTF GA book that's already the highest graded copy by a wide margin, as opposed to a much more recent book with hundreds if not thousands in the same grade range where a tiny bump of 0.2 would make a difference of multiples.  hm

Especially, in this particular case here where the upgrade was probably done by some incompetent newbie who ended up "damaging" the book, instead of actually improving it.  As long time GA comic book collectors, should we not be more focused on "buying the book, as opposed to buying the label" which is clearly the exact opposite of the mantra that's adherred to by the day traders and speculators in today's marketplace where the grade is everything.   :(

32 minutes ago, tth2 said:

You know that, and I know that, but do the label collectors know that?

Just providing insight into the neurotic psyche of label collectors.

I did consider that, as it is often a factor.  Captain Courageous, however, is well outside the mainstream of what label-chasers usually chase, so it's less likely to be a factor. 

If we were discussing a Captain America comic, I would not have commented.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From your above post here, it is quite clear that you are showing your age here :preach: and approaching this from the point of view of a long time comic book collector whose place is relagated more towards the back seat of this current red hot and sexy in vogue marketplace of ours.  :(

Clearly, what you are seeing as now-damaged books are in fact actually books which have been flattened and now maximized to their full potential.  It's best that you check your calendar because it's now 2021 whereby vintage collectible comic books are best treated as vehicles to be used by their owners for the purposes of acquiring more money.  :devil:

After all, hasn't it always been all about the money, and as long as all parties involved are getting more of it, shouldn't we all be good to go.  :mad:  :censored:

The potential verses the risk of flattening the market is how I see it.  

That said, I almost spewed ale which is sacrilege.  If your tongue were planted any more firmly in your cheek this would be a Roger Corman horror flick. lol

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

9.6 > 9.4, and there's less chance of another 9.6 copy emerging than another 9.4 copy, thus giving the buyer more assurance that his/her copy will remain the best copy in the Census.

So yeah.

The problem is that most pressing these days is in-house. so pressed or not the same folks are making the judgment call on grade.  :frown:

Why not just lobby for the .2 grade bump because it's a new year and the book has survived another year?   Hallelujah! 

16 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The problem is that most pressing these days is in-house. so pressed or not the same folks are making the judgment call on grade.  :frown:

Well, in theory at least, CCS is supposed to be working independently from CGC and one should not know what the other is doing.  :devil:

In the real world though, I am aware of certain situations whereby certain customers tend to get preferential overlapping treatment when it comes to resubs, pressing, regrading, and reholdering in order to lower the risk and thereby make it a more sure thing for the submittor.  Especially if you've got a large quantity of books and they also happen to be of pedigree status. hm  :censored:

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:  I guess the only way to tell for sure is for you to contact CL so that they can let the winner know you are willing to buy the book from them (at a higher price point of course :bigsmile:) so that you can crack it out of the slab and check it out for yourself.  lol

I'll let you do the heavy lifting on that one. Just worried my HG copy of GSX 1 gets the proper treatment when I send it in for it's inevitable clean and press before I cash out. Soon.

Edited by comicnoir