• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 2:46 AM, Telegan said:

This piqued my interest.  All I could find after a brief search was this OA that sold years ago on Heritage (read the lot description).  Interestingly enough, according to GCD, one of the stories in it is possibly by Ernie Schroeder, as well.  The indexer notes on the GCD entry describes how it couldn't be Palais and also notes the initials "J C" are also visible, but I don't see that - maybe someone else does.  The only other "Pelletier" I could find was the modern artist Paul Pelletier.

I saw the GCD entry but also didn't see any "J. C." Maybe the indexer was looking at a copy with the signature partially cut off (as it is on many copies).

I hadn't seen the OA on Heritage. It's interesting that they attributed it to Ernie Schroeder despite the Pelletier signature. It does look like the OA and the cover are both from the same artist. If they are Schroeder's work, I'm curious to know what's behind the signature. Maybe he didn't want to use his German surname since we were at war with Germany—but that seems a bit far fetched.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, batman_fan said:

This one is coming back on the market but now with the new and improved 9.8 designation

IMG_1045.jpeg

It's been one of my big regrets that I didn't buy this on one of the many times it came up at Heritage after its initial sale, as its price was spiraling downwards.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:53 PM, tth2 said:

It's been one of my big regrets that I didn't buy this on one of the many times it came up at Heritage after its initial sale, as its price was spiraling downwards.

A board member picked it up and we cracked it out together. Insane copy, was fun seeing it raw.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:47 AM, buttock said:

I think the market for books over ~$200k is pretty thin.  There have been several HG Cap 1s, including this retread, offered lately.  So when they come out in relatively short time the hammer is more unpredictable. At least that is probably part of it IMO. But just thinking about it, I could scratch up $156K without it causing too much pain.  I couldn't do $750k without a lot of work and sacrifice.  And I'm a high earner.  

A bit late here but would tend to agree with this comment from @buttock compared to @tth2 (no offense to tth2). If you have ~$150K +/- to spend on this book (that's a LOT of $$$s by the way so most of us won't have this!!!) and you have been hunting it for three years and had some key criteria (good eye appeal, no material size pieces off, no bad staining, no significant fading, no PLOD/conserved), let's look at the sales history of what your options were (this is going three years back):

1) 4/2021 - 7.5 Restored for $90,000 - NO. restored 

2) 9/2021 - 4.0 Universal for $180,000 - NO. above limit 

3) 11/2021 - 3.5 Pedigree for $240,000 - NO. above limit 

4) 3/2022 - 7.0 Universal for $340,000 - NO. above limit 

5) 4/2022 - 9.2 Universal for $3,120,000 - NO. waaaaay above limit 

6) 5/2022 - 7.0 Universal for $312,000 - NO. above limit 

7) 6/2022 - 3.0 Universal for  $144,000 - NO. pretty bad looking book (the one referenced by @buttock) 

8) 9/2022 - 5.0 Universal for $180,000 - NO. above limit (this is the best price / unit grade value btw, even better than the 9.2) 

9) 9/2022 - 8.0 Restored for $78,000 - NO. restored 

10) 11/2022 - 5.0 Restored for $72,000 - NO. restored 

11) 11/2022 - 9.2 Conserved for $276,000 - NO. conserved 

12) 12/2022 - 4.5 Universal for $194,000 - NO. above limit 

13) 3/2023 - 7.0 Universal for $300,000 - NO. above limit 

14) 6/2023 - 3.5 Pedigree for $168,000 - NO. above limit but close, although has notable stain in back (original Promise Collection buyer took a loss) 

15) 6/2023 - 9.2 Universal for $810,000 - NO. above limit 

16) 9/2023 - 7.5 Conserved for $168,000 - NO. conserved 

17) 9/2023 - 2.0 Universal for $114,000 - NO. piece out and fading 

18) 11/2023 - 3.0 Universal for $126,000 - NO. piece out and bad fading 

19) 4/2024 - 9.2 Universal for $750,000 - NO. above limit 

20) 4/2024 - 3.0 Universal for $156,000 - FINALLY WORKS (although the tape in grader notes is not ideal, you can't see it while in the holder - tape on staples is inside book, not outside)

Also, not sure I'd agree it's "common" as this suggests <7 books per year available on average. 

On 4/11/2024 at 11:53 AM, tth2 said:

If I could have swung it back then I would have but sadly economics were quite a bit different.

On 4/11/2024 at 1:53 PM, tth2 said:

The last time it sold was in an odd weekday Heritage session, Friday I think, and I rushed home from work to bid only to find I was 5 minutes late.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:35 AM, october said:

A board member picked it up and we cracked it out together. Insane copy, was fun seeing it raw.

Yup, I dawdled and then it was gone. :frown:

On 4/12/2024 at 5:22 AM, WNY said:

Also, not sure I'd agree it's "common" as this suggests <7 books per year available on average. 

It's all relative.  Obviously it's not common compared to Hulk 181.

But for a GA mega-key, that's pretty "common"! 

On 4/12/2024 at 7:06 AM, batman_fan said:
On 4/12/2024 at 1:53 AM, tth2 said:

If I could have swung it back then I would have but sadly economics were quite a bit different.

There were so many books I was after back then, and every time the Church National 7 came up, it became cheaper(!), so there was no urgency and I prioritized other books because I figured "I'll always get another chance if I don't win it this time". 

Stupid! :frustrated: 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:53 AM, tth2 said:

On 4/11/2024 at 4:53 PM, adamstrange said:

The last time it sold was in an odd weekday Heritage session, Friday I think, and I rushed home from work to bid only to find I was 5 minutes late.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:14 PM, tth2 said:

Yup, I dawdled and then it was gone. :frown:

Well, all I can say is that you guys must have either been dawdling for an awfully long time or rushing along at the pace of a crippled snail, as this book came back to market for 3 consecutive years running after its initial sale for $20,700 back in 2004.  Like baseball I guess you are given only 3 strikes before you are out of the game.  :sorry:  lol

I still remember the discussion on the boards at the time as it couldn't hit the Reserve of $16K in 2005, or the reduced Reserve of $12K in 2006, and then even failed to hit the bargain basement Reserve of only $11,500 in 2007.  Totally shocked me as I thought it was an absolutely gorgeous copy of an much underappreciated Fine classic underwater submarine cover scene and yet nobody was willing to pay even half of what it had gone for back in 2004.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I thought the book had eventually managed to find a buyer in the end, but not sure if it did or not in the end.  I will say though that if it is bring consigned by the original buyer and this is the 4th try for them to unload this "sprialling in value" book here, I will be more than happy to take the hit and meet their new reduced Reserve price for this Church copy of National 7 and let their long suffering pain finally come to an end.   :luhv:  :takeit:  lol

On 4/11/2024 at 10:20 PM, tth2 said:

There were so many books I was after back then, and every time the Church National 7 came up, it became cheaper(!), so there was no urgency and I prioritized other books because I figured "I'll always get another chance if I don't win it this time". 

Stupid! :frustrated: 

Fact check: True but at least you have a lot of company in the stupid camp.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:42 PM, lou_fine said:

I thought the book had eventually managed to find a buyer in the end, but not sure if it did or not in the end.

As mentioned a few posts above yours, it was finally purchased by a real buyer (a Boardie actually).