• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

There are some Billy Wright pedigrees in the Summer auction. It appears that Billy Wright passed away rather young (he was only around 39 years old). Does anyone know the background on Billy and why he died so young?

Edited by Mr. Lady Luck

5 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

There are some Billy Wright pedigrees in the Summer auction. It appears that Billy Wright passed away rather young (he was only around 39 years old). Does anyone know the background on Billy and why he died so young?

https://lithub.com/the-man-who-made-millions-from-old-comics-in-a-closet/

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Thank you for the link! myslabbedcomics incorrectly indicates that he died in 1966:

"This newly (2011) discovered collection consists of approximately 340 comic books collected by  Billy Wright  1936(then 9 years old) through 1941.  After his death in 1966 the collection remained neatly stacked in a basement closet until discovered by a family member  and eventually brought to market by Heritage Auctions.  The collection is known for it’s number of key issues including Action #1, Detective Comics #27, Batman #1 and Captain America #2 and many more, totaling 44 of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide's Top 100 comic issues from the Golden Age. "

I believe the owner of My Slabbed Comics is a Boardie. Someone maybe could PM him to update his bio for the Pedigree.

Glad to see Billy'Wright's books retaining their value (and rising).  Maybe only the Allentown Ped is smaller in size of the collection for a Pedigree.? 

1 minute ago, sagii said:

I believe the owner of My Slabbed Comics is a Boardie. Someone maybe could PM him to update his bio for the Pedigree.

Glad to see Billy'Wright's books retaining their value (and rising).  Maybe only the Allentown Ped is smaller in size of the collection for a Pedigree.? 

Chicago isn't huge either, is it?  I'm not sure.

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

With 1 day left, activity is finally starting to pick up ...

There were a ton of what I’d call upper middle class GA books I was watching looking extremely low this close to the live auction... but I think the dealers or other bargain hunters have swept through it all now and brought them up to typical HA level prices.

32 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:
34 minutes ago, sagii said:

Chicago isn't huge either, is it?  I'm not sure.

Not exactly sure about the size of the Chicago pedigree although it might just slot in there at the #3 spot.

The one next closest to the Allentown pedigree would be the Denver Collection which came in at something like only 153 books or thereabouts.  

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

With 1 day left, activity is finally starting to pick up ...

Compared to previous auctions, a lot of the prices still seems quite a bit lower than where they have been relative to the final day prior to past auctions.  (shrug)

Especially since I am still high bidder on several of the lots at this late stage of the game, whereas I am normally long gone well before this point.  :whatthe:

I guess time will tell when we see the final hammer prices starting tomorrow.  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Cap1 now at 735K (w/BP) will it top 1M ... we'll soon find out.

Well, a sure fire way to help push it to $1M is for you to put in a hammer bid of say $850K and see if anybody will come in to meet or beat it in the live portion of the auction.  

Now, we would definitely see some fireworks here if you gave that strategy a try.  :bigsmile:

15 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Only other books to top 1 M  were the following correct ?

Action 1 Tec 27 and AF 15

The AS8 9.4 came pretty close. The owners are now asking for mucho mas $$$

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The AS8 9.4 came pretty close. The owners are now asking for mucho mas $$$

....will never understand putting that much money into a vanity commodity with out the intent of 'sitting' on it for a 'while'.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't read/hear about such high end quick flipping in the Art and Collectible Automobile world.