• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Seldom have I seen the universal after grade exceed that of the restored before grade.

Subject book appears to have undergone a fair amount of invasive removal work...

12797646%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

23075128%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

MAN I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 11/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, tth2 said:

If he hadn't, this would be an auction of stolen books! 

That has been known to happen!

True, but then it'd be an article about the Joe Chill Collection and the seller wouldn't be Randy Lawrence!

3 hours ago, buttock said:
3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Gift grades on these scrape jobs equals more business for CGC.  

hulk 1 scraped.jpg

I saw that book in person at a dealer's table and couldn't believe it.

In fairness, if you look at every edge of this front cover except for the spine, you're thinking "WOW!!!"

On 11/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, buttock said:
On 11/17/2020 at 6:39 AM, ThothAmon said:

Who doesn’t want a sweet Detective 2 (CGC 7.0) and 26 (CGC 5.5) but both seem generously graded. The 2 looks like restoration was removed (leaving dried glue behind) with the scrape and dig technique and still somehow managed a 7.0 and the 26 ... Compare to my 5.0 13 and you decide? As for the auction itself, I watched the Randy Lawrence/Pennyworth video in its entirety and am in awe of this collection. Not sure it’s received the buzz that the Berk auction did but it’s staggering how many beautiful books are for sale.  Not sure Berk ever chased grades like Lawrence did though?

47342CD8-AF61-4C88-9F76-9141ABC748F0.png

2.63 MB · 0 downloads

It's really maddening that this is now not only acceptable, but it's ignored in the grading process.  It's clear that the graders have deliberately chosen to ignore the chunks dug out of books like this.  If you want to get rid of the restoration, then that's on you I guess.  But for CGC to encourage defacing by giving gift grades is just unethical.  

I believe it's called conflict of interest and we all knew this was exactly what was going to happen when CCG bought out Matt Nelson's Classics Incorporated and turned it into CCS and another key component along with CGC under the CCG umbrella.  In the corporate world, it's called "business synergies" as opposed to being called unethical behavior. :gossip:  :devil:

It would be rather naive to think that CGC would put in grading standards that would go against the business model of their parent company.  hm  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, buttock said:
5 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Gift grades on these scrape jobs equals more business for CGC.  

hulk 1 scraped.jpg

I saw that book in person at a dealer's table and couldn't believe it. 

Why not, because if a customer pays multiple times for more services to be performed on a book, should they not be entitled to a better grade in the end?  :devil:

On 7/31/2019 at 11:10 AM, sagii said:

I believe the owner of My Slabbed Comics is a Boardie. Someone maybe could PM him to update his bio for the Pedigree.

Glad to see Billy'Wright's books retaining their value (and rising).  Maybe only the Allentown Ped is smaller in size of the collection for a Pedigree.? 

darn sure aren't many kansas city books; i've only ever seen @4 for sale.

7 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Based on the books I’ve been tracking, it appears there’s been some pent-up demand that is starting to unleash. Krakens are being released right and left.

I may wait for the next 2 auctions to see whether the demand remains steady, or dies back once the heritage auction ends

I have a feeling we may be waiting a while for that to happen.