• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

How do you know we already don’t have our private club of two :acclaim:

I was emailed some compromising video confirming their little menage aux deux

13 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Guilty as charged :luhv:

i've turned the video over to the appropriate authorities... this could have all been avoided had you of simply extended me an invite

12 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:
12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

anyone won the Larson Tec 36 ?

Wish I did. I think it went for a pretty good price for the buyer. Nice looking book, Looks like they did a good job on it. Goth do you know if that book was ever in a Blue label before the resto? I was going to ask before but wanted to wait until it closed.

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

No idea although I don't think so. The Larson Tec 36 is actually the first Larson book I see that had so much resto done to it.

Yes, this was a point which I had first brought up a few months ago when somebody here posted that the Larson copy of 'Tec 36 was coming to market as a restored CGC 6.5 book:

On 9/24/2020 at 1:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, it would definitely be interesting and enlightening to see this book since it's listed as being only a CGC 6.5 F+ apprent graded copy with Moderate restoration.  :taptaptap:

Especially in light of the fact this the Larson 'Tec 36 was listed as being a NM copy with a dark stain on the inside spine when graded by Joe Tricarichi in his Larson List from way back in 1975.  Makes me wonder how much the grading standards might have changed with respect to certain types of defects or is it possible that some collector along the way ended up damaging the book while in their possession.  hm  (shrug)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #36 Larson Pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC Apparent FN+ 6.5 Moderate (P) Off-white pages....

Not sure about my eyes, but might need to get the Grader's Notes since that book there sure seems to present much closer to Tricarichi's NM condition from a strict visual point of view, as opposed to CGC's assigned grade of only 6.5.  Then again, it's often been said that CGC considers the parts of a book that's been restored as condition defects when it comes to their grading which is really like a double whammy on the restored books over and above the much dreaded PLOD label.  ???  (shrug)

If you compare the grades on these 2 books, it might have been a lot smarter for the consignor of the Larson 'Tec 36 to have scrape the color touch off since they would most likely have gotten a much higher grade from CGC:  :devil:  :screwy:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F0%2F1%2F3%2F23013568%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 11/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, comicdonna said:

Gift grades on these scrape jobs equals more business for CGC.  

hulk 1 scraped.jpg

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If you compare the grades on these 2 books, it might have been a lot smarter for the consignor of the Larson 'Tec 36 to have scrape the color touch off since they would most likely have gotten a much higher grade from CGC:  :devil:  :screwy:

I eagerly await the day CGC can do resto reversals for “cover cleaned.”  I assume this will be achieved by throwing some dirt on the book and bumping up the grade the appropriate number of notches.

Edited by szav

6 hours ago, Timely said:

I'm not sure if anybody even cares anymore, but the "San Francisco" Copy of Superman #4 that just sold on Heritage has a "B" erased just to the left of the logo. Seems VERY unlikely an authentic San Francisco Copy would have a penciled "B" on it. I've seen just about every known SF & I've never seen one with a "B" on it... unless Robert Beerbohm decided to put a "B" on this one for some reason. :insane:

sansup.jpg

There are other reasons it does not look like an authentic SF copy.  In fact nothing about it is consistent with an SF.

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

So is Batman 181 officially the 2nd most expensive issue of the Batman title, or just top five?

Don't you absolutely love these CGC label collectors, especially when it would be halarious if the 9.8 copy had started out its certification life as only a CGC 9.0 copy?  :devil:

With a result like this, all I can say is that somebody must have really overdosed themselves drinking down all of that CGC Kool-Aid.  O.o  :screwy:  

The happiest people at this $90K result must be the other 2 collectors who also have CGC 9.8 graded copies of this particular book here.  :whee:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:
22 hours ago, tth2 said:

You and Bronty can have your own little club of 2.

How do you know we already don’t have our private club of two :acclaim:

Now that that image has been seared into my brain, I can't unsee it. :eek:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

So is Batman 181 officially the 2nd most expensive issue of the Batman title, or just top five?

Don't you absolutely love these CGC label collectors, especially when it would be halarious if the 9.8 copy had started out its certification life as only a CGC 9.0 copy?  :devil:

With a result like this, all I can say is that somebody must have really overdosed themselves drinking down all of that CGC Kool-Aid.  O.o  :screwy:  

The happiest people at this $90K result must be the other 2 collectors who also have CGC 9.8 graded copies of this particular book here.  :whee:  :banana:

Anyone want to take bets on how long it'll take for one of the other 9.8 copies to come up on the market, and a bunch of 9.6s and 9.4s too?

Reminds me of FF 52.

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, this was a point which I had first brought up a few months ago when somebody here posted that the Larson copy of 'Tec 36 was coming to market as a restored CGC 6.5 book:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #36 Larson Pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC Apparent FN+ 6.5 Moderate (P) Off-white pages....

Not sure about my eyes, but might need to get the Grader's Notes since that book there sure seems to present much closer to Tricarichi's NM condition from a strict visual point of view, as opposed to CGC's assigned grade of only 6.5.  Then again, it's often been said that CGC considers the parts of a book that's been restored as condition defects when it comes to their grading which is really like a double whammy on the restored books over and above the much dreaded PLOD label.  ???  (shrug)

Hi Lou, so do you think this restored 6.5 is the same one that was listed as NM decades ago? I guess there is no way to find a picture of it back then. And there is some darkness on the cover near the spine up by the letter D, maybe that's the stain he mentioned. Unless there were 2 larson 36's I suppose it must be the same one. I've never seen a restored Larson then again I haven't been looking. But why get a book listed as near mint restored? Even if it was really just in the VF range that still seems counterproductive. Like you said its very possible it was damaged or roughed up after it was assigned that NM grade. That would be my bet.

I was interested in this one because I want one pre robin detective and 36 and 37 are realistically the only 2 I'll ever have a chance at, aside from 32 or 34.  The timing just wasn't right for me right now otherwise I would have gone after this one (meaning I don't have the money on hand) But I think the buyer got a real good deal on this one. Hopefully he/she will make it available again sometime soon.

PS I didnt think CGC lowered grades on restored books because they are restored. Most restored 8.0's for example look like 8.0's to me. I hope they don't do that, they shouldn't, but thats another topic for another time.

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

I guess you must be referring to this copy here that sold for $90K:  :flipbait:   :screwy:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F0%2F1%2F4%2F23014377%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

From another thread, the only question which I have is whether this kind of loose flaking is normally allowed in a CGC 9.8 graded book:  :devil:   doh!

9D5FE2CC-7B70-4C0A-97A4-84285C128077.jpeg