• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

if undetected by CGC, yes

it's a gamble ofc, but one that could pay off in a BIG way

Oh, I see. Yes, that would be a big payoff.

This scan is low res and I haven’t had time to look at the original, but it appears as though the staple entry points thru the paper show tell tale cover fade.  

4 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

if undetected by CGC, yes

it's a gamble ofc, but one that could pay off in a BIG way

agreed

Are the 2 of your trying to encourage potential fraudulent activity on the boards here?  (tsk)

Send both the book and loose staples to Matt and ask him for his professional opinion (while wearing his CCS hat) as to whether the boys at CCS are qualified enough to do this type of work and be able to get it by without detection from those darn CGC graders.  lol

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Pardon me is this has already been discussed, but isn’t there an unusual history for the San Fran copy of Captain America #1?

I think so.  There was a thread that was started on this 9.4 copy.

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Pardon me is this has already been discussed, but isn’t there an unusual history for the San Fran copy of Captain America #1?

This book has a fascinating history. Bob Beerbohm first saw it at a convention when another collector managed to buy all the San Francisco timely prior to him seeing them. He found out that that collector was paying 25% of retail which made Bob recognize that he could pay even less than that at times. This set him out on a career path where he dedicated himself every day striving to rip people off in greater and greater ways.  Ultimately culminating in a career where he takes great pride and being able to rip off children, widows, and any other downtrodden folk.

Edited by buttock

15 minutes ago, buttock said:

This book has a fascinating history. Bob Beerbohm first saw it at a convention when another collector managed to buy all the San Francisco timely prior to him seeing them. He found out that that collector was paying 25% of retail which made Bob recognize that he could pay even less than that at times. This set him out on a career path where he dedicated himself every day striving to rip people off in greater and greater ways.  Ultimately culminating in a career where he takes great pride and being able to rip off children, widows, and any other downtrodden folk.

wow. real a-hole.

51 minutes ago, buttock said:

His tirades on FB are ludicrous and speak to his true persona and not to belittle anyone's illness (especially since I have been and am faced on a daily basis by life changing medical issues) but his playing on folks' sympathies to buy from him because of his issues and I believe also those of his daughter did not sit well with me.   He actually has a piece of OA that I wouldn't mind buying but I refuse to buy from this type of person.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Is this the consensus about Beerbohm? I talked to the guy about 20 minutes years and years ago and liked him. But I never did business with him, so I don’t know

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is this the consensus about Beerbohm? I talked to the guy about 20 minutes years and years ago and liked him. But I never did business with him, so I don’t know

You got away cheap :smile:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

at one point they were listed in the same auction.    they moved one back to november.   So, yes.

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In my opinion he's the single worst person in comics.  If anyone has anything nice to say about him, the floor is open. 

5 hours ago, Bronty said:
5 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

at one point they were listed in the same auction.    they moved one back to november.   So, yes.

Well, if the second copy goes for only half of what this recent copy managed to fetch which many of you seem to suspect will happen, I can bet you that the second consignor will be totally pissed off.  :mad:  :censored:

Especially if it was Heritage that made the call on which 9.8 graded copy would go first and which copy would go next.  :whistle:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, buttock said:
8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In my opinion he's the single worst person in comics.  If anyone has anything nice to say about him, the floor is open. 

Have we all forgotten about Danny Dupchak, although he was always good for some hilarious stories while he was trying to con you.  :insane:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Have we all forgotten about Danny Dupchak, although he was always good for some hilarious stories while he was trying to con you.  :insane:

I considered him, Gerry Ross, Doug Schmell, and it wasn't even close.  Beerbohm ripped off Jerry Bails' widow after he died.  Him, Gerber, and Schmell are the only one I know who pulled that garbage on old ladies.  The others are just con men.  

On 8/3/2019 at 12:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, again being the contrarian that I am, I've always much preferred the Blue Beetle 52 over the much more highly acknowledged classic BB 54 cover myself. (shrug)

I've always loved the bright blue, green, and red color combinations on Blue Beetle 52.  :luhv:

I tend to agree with you on this one but love them both. I think the 54 being used in SOTI is a big draw for folks. When it comes to the series Blue Beetle itself I MUCH prefer issues 10,11, and 12 over both 52 and 54 and all 3 are significantly tougher to find than either the 52 or 54. Anything Blue Beetle is awesome though. I know that probably isn’t the popular opinion so I will run back to the rock I was hiding behind haha!!

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I tend to agree with you on this one but love them both. I think the 54 being used in SOTI is a big draw for folks. When it comes to the series Blue Beetle itself I MUCH prefer issues 10,11, and 12 over both 52 and 54 and all 3 are significantly tougher to find than either the 52 or 54. Anything Blue Beetle is awesome though. I know that probably isn’t the popular opinion so I will run back to the rock I was hiding behind haha!!

Well, it's definitely hard to beat a "woman in bondage" cover when it comes to GGA art.  :luhv:

Boy, that blond woman in the red dress still hasn't managed to figure a way out after six whole long months or does she simply enjoy being in that position?  hm

BTW:  Is your better half aware of your apparent fetish with woman in bondage?  lol