• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I didn't even know the Shield was getting a movie. And there were several American superheros before the Shield. Unless you meant 1st patriotic superhero.

I did in-fact! (thumbsu

And tell me more about this movie you mentioned! :news:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the rest of you here, but I thought this particular copy of More Fun 73 went for a pretty strong price, given its actual appearance relative to its assigned grade:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/more-fun-comics-73-dc-1941-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7242-91042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F3%2F5%2F23635726%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

From what I am seeing here, that sure appears to be quite a bit of wear on the front cover that you otherwise don't normally see on other CGC 7.5 graded books.   (shrug)

I would guess that book is so flat you could use it to gauge spark plug gaps.

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

So, I guess you are saying they got the grade because they sent it in and did the "complete works" according to the CCG game rules and got the just reward they deserved, as opposed to the standard punishment grading if you don't play by their rules.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, Timely said:
10 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I didn't even know the Shield was getting a movie. And there were several American superheros before the Shield. Unless you meant 1st patriotic superhero.

I did in-fact! (thumbsu

And tell me more about this movie you mentioned! :news:

Well, I hope all of you have your copies of Adventure 48 before Hourman makes his big silver screen appearance as part of the next pahse of the DCEU movie franchise.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

So, I guess you are saying they got the grade because they sent it in and did the "complete works" according to the CCG game rules and got the just reward they deserved, as opposed to the standard punishment grading if you don't play by their rules.  :devil:

In terms of the CGC 7.5 graded copy of More Fun 73, here's a copy of another CGC 7.5 graded copy of a book and for the life of me, I can't tell which one appears nicer from the front cover, with the back cover looking even nicer than the front cover for this book here:  :devil:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820386

fou3.200a.jpg

I guess some poor submittor didn't know or understand the full rules of the grading game and most likely got the just bludgeoning of the CGC grading hammer as a result.  doh!   :makepoint:   

Not sure where it's going to end up at, but sure looks like a steal right now at a dig deep deep down into your pocket whopping $6 for a File Copy of an almost 80 year old book.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Kind of sad to see these very early and super rare pre-hero DC books like this one here still out of favor with today's generation of collectors and only able to sell at a discount to condition guide, as opposed to the men in tights who wear their underwear on the outside all going for either huge premium or even at multiples to condition guide:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/new-book-of-comics-1-dc-1937-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7242-92047.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F0%2F2%2F23602423%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

This CGC 7.5 graded copy sure looks nice for a super early 1937 book and also appears sharper than the equivalent graded More Fun 73 above, but then again not quite as nice as the equivalent graded Four Color, from the cover scans only though.   hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Kind of sad to see these very early and super rare pre-hero DC books like this one here still out of favor with today's generation of collectors and only able to sell at a discount to condition guide, as opposed to the men in tights who wear their underwear on the outside all going for either huge premium or even multiples to condition guide:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/new-book-of-comics-1-dc-1937-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7242-92047.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F0%2F2%2F23602423%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

This CGC 7.5 graded copy sure looks nice for a super early 1937 book and also appears sharper than the equivalent graded More Fun 73 above, but then again not quite as nice as the equivalent graded Four Color, from the cover scans only though.   hm  (shrug)

It’s an absolute shame. The only prehero DC that really have any bite are Detective and late NA/Adventure (26-39). My faves are early New Comics, especially the ones with paper covers. Impossible to find, but no one cares when they turn up. 🙁

6 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

It’s an absolute shame. The only prehero DC that really have any bite are Detective and late NA/Adventure (26-39). My faves are early New Comics, especially the ones with paper covers. Impossible to find, but no one cares when they turn up. 🙁

Totally agree with you when it comes to the paper covers with the New Comics 1 -6.  hm  :luhv:

The other ones that I really love and seemingly not appreciated at all by collectors today are the cardboard covers on the 100 page squarebound books like the early World's Finest up to issue 17 and the New Book of Comics squarebound 100 pagers.  :cloud9:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the rest of you here, but I thought this particular copy of More Fun 73 went for a pretty strong price, given its actual appearance relative to its assigned grade:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/more-fun-comics-73-dc-1941-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7242-91042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F3%2F5%2F23635726%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

From what I am seeing here, that sure appears to be quite a bit of wear on the front cover that you otherwise don't normally see on other CGC 7.5 graded books.   (shrug)

If I submitted a book like that, it would come back as 5.5.

Just sayin'

(shrug)

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Kind of sad to see these very early and super rare pre-hero DC books like this one here still out of favor with today's generation of collectors and only able to sell at a discount to condition guide, as opposed to the men in tights who wear their underwear on the outside all going for either huge premium or even at multiples to condition guide:  :(

Maybe it's a joke? today is April Fool's Day, the 1st, not the 4th

Sold on Apr 4, 2021 for:$7,800.00

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

In terms of the CGC 7.5 graded copy of More Fun 73, here's a copy of another CGC 7.5 graded copy of a book and for the life of me, I can't tell which one appears nicer from the front cover, with the back cover looking even nicer than the front cover for this book here:  :devil:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820386

fou3.200a.jpg

I guess some poor submittor didn't know or understand the full rules of the grading game and most likely got the just bludgeoning of the CGC grading hammer as a result.  doh!   :makepoint:   

Not sure where it's going to end up at, but sure looks like a steal right now at a dig deep deep down into your pocket whopping $6 for a File Copy of an almost 80 year old book.  hm

There is no God :cry:

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

There is no God :cry:

Are saying that Matt's no longer with CGC?  lol

Have they transitioned to Jason already and looking for their next maximization of potential opportunity to solicit regrades?  :devil:

Just now, lou_fine said:

Are saying that Matt's no longer with CGC?  lol

Have they transitioned to Jason already and looking for their next maximization of potential opportunity to solicit regrades?  :devil:

Is someone actively trolling for a strike?  :baiting:

37 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe it's a joke? today is April Fool's Day, the 1st, not the 4th

Sold on Apr 4, 2021 for:$7,800.00

Maybe that's when the auction ends, so it defaults to that date? That did seem odd to me.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Kind of sad to see these very early and super rare pre-hero DC books like this one here still out of favor with today's generation of collectors and only able to sell at a discount to condition guide, as opposed to the men in tights who wear their underwear on the outside all going for either huge premium or even at multiples to condition guide:

Perhaps the Guide is .... 

Spoiler

wrong

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My conclusion based on the limited results is I will not be winning anything in this auction 

GA prices in the Platinum session were actually pretty restrained in comparison to SA and OA.

14 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

The Billy Wright books are nice.  My Tec 9 is BW. I am seeking a Tec 1 but it at least needs to be complete so not this time. Some of the PCH books are unbelievable, including the USA 1. This Bailey Cover has to be my new favorite. 

F65888E9-18AE-4F86-8FD5-D7A02ADD0AC0.png

Stunning copy!