• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

With the 4 climbing out of the price range of most, it's time to focus on the next best cover

I actually started my Seven Seas run with the sole purpose of acquiring SS 6 because green has always been one of my favorite cover colors and I also loved the color variations in the water here.  :luhv:

So, guess what..............the first one out of the run I end up with is Seven Seas 4 way back in the cheapo days when the dealer told me that although he didn't have a Seven Seas 6 at the time, he did have this nice copy of Seven Seas 4 and I ended up begrudgenly taking it in the end instead.  :facepalm:  :whee:  :banana:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

A couple mid grade books to offset all those 9.8s from the Promise collection

24081086%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

24076017%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On the Berk action 1 how much decrease in value do think that staple replacement will cost the seller?

15 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

On the Berk action 1 how much decrease in value do think that staple replacement will cost the seller?

I’m always curious in these staple replacement situations, what kind of staples get put in their place? Do you think they’re like staples from the general time frame, or could they be Action 1 staples the restorer had laying around? Or just some kind of newer staple?

17 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m always curious in these staple replacement situations, what kind of staples get put in their place? Do you think they’re like staples from the general time frame, or could they be Action 1 staples the restorer had laying around? Or just some kind of newer staple?

I wonder if the CGC clue the future or buyer on that fact...new or replacment..good point

5 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I wonder if the CGC clue the future or buyer on that fact...new or replacment..good point

I’d think that might be a good thing to add in the grader notes and could potentially affect a sale. I’d think if you told me you replaced the staples from another Action 1, would command a premium over I mean anything else haha.

Edited by LDarkseid1

10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I put staples into an Action # 2 from an early fifties Black Magic.

It wasn't noted on the label, but there was plenty of resto to the book anyways.

20 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’d think that might be a good thing to add in the grader notes and could potentially affect a sale. I’d think if you told me you replaced the staples from another Action 1, would command a premium over I mean anything else haha.

There needs to be a difference between brand new staples and replacement similar from the time period. Given this issue could cost Action #1 100's of thousand of dollars in an auction return or private sale..this item needs to on top of the CGC to do list.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:11 AM, lou_fine said:

Was watching part of the HA Sunday Auction earlier this evening and it's nice to see that there's still some love for the Seven Seas books:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-6-leader-1947-cgc-fn-65-off-white-pages/a/122117-17521.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F8%2F3%2F5%2F23835144%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Have always loved this cover here and sadly, the only one now missing from my Seven Seas run and looks like I won't be getting a copy any time soon as this nicely presenting mid-grade copy sold for $5,040.  :applause:

I like the Seven Seas books. They run hot and cold, though. I own a VF/NM copy of no. 4. I paid $3,450 for it in 2001 (about $5,166 in 2021 dollars), and in 2004 I tried to sell it while I was out of work. The highest offer I got was $2,000. I'm glad I didn't accept the offer.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Same type of staples from the time frame, from what I've been told. At least that's the goal of a good restoration artist. 

17 minutes ago, Rip said:

Same type of staples from the time frame, from what I've been told. At least that's the goal of a good restoration artist. 

That definitely makes the most sense. I guess just a nice bonus if you happen to have staples from another copy of whatever you're restoring.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, Mmehdy said:

There needs to be a difference between brand new staples and replacement similar from the time period. Given this issue could cost Action #1 100's of thousand of dollars in an auction return or private sale..this item needs to on top of the CGC to do list.

Totally agree.  Might argue that the difference should not be 100s of thousands of dollars, especially if someone could buy it with "newer" staples and then just replaced the replaced staples with vintage ones.  But the market is what it is.  Slabbing should provide as much information as possible, the idea being not to encourage deception, or emotional responses based on the presumption of it, but to remove the buyer's fear of deception and to provide detailed, verified information what was (and just as importantly what was not) done to a book.