• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, buttock said:

I wouldn't use Cap 1 as a barometer.  It's probably the most common big key, alongside Bat 1.  There is usually at least one copy in both HA and CC auctions each quarter, and often more than one in each auction.  At some point, everyone who wants one will have one or pass on the opportunity to buy one.  Not to mention it's peaking on its recent exponential growth curve.  It's following the trend of AF 15 recently where people think it's declining, but rather than declining it's reached a price point that encourages buyers to be a bit more picky.  Not all 6.0s are equal, and as others have pointed out, this was not a great 6.0.  If you're talking about a book with fewer available copies, you take what you can get.  The more common books, buy smart.  Especially at $100k plus. 

Good thing I'm in it for the love of the hobby.  I don't need to make money, but I prefer not to lose any.

8 minutes ago, buttock said:

I wouldn't use Cap 1 as a barometer.  It's probably the most common big key, alongside Bat 1.  There is usually at least one copy in both HA and CC auctions each quarter, and often more than one in each auction.  At some point, everyone who wants one will have one or pass on the opportunity to buy one.  Not to mention it's peaking on its recent exponential growth curve.  It's following the trend of AF 15 recently where people think it's declining, but rather than declining it's reached a price point that encourages buyers to be a bit more picky.  Not all 6.0s are equal, and as others have pointed out, this was not a great 6.0.  If you're talking about a book with fewer available copies, you take what you can get.  The more common books, buy smart.  Especially at $100k plus. 

(thumbsu

4 hours ago, lhcomics said:

With the Cap 1 and Bat 1 prices realized I feel like I do when the stock market tanks and see my 401k take a big hit. Since I bought Cap1 12 years ago I'm good with that dip but I could have possibly bought this Bat 1 at less than what I have into mine.

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I agree.  On the other hand, seasonally speaking, this is the worst time of year for sellers and the best time of year for buyers(IMHO).  So the weak prices may just be that.

Just wondering something........what was everybody's expectation here as to where this copy of Batman 1 should have finished up at?  hm

I didn't think it did quite as bad as everybody is making it out to be.  Especially since the Heritage archives indicates the last CGC 4.0 graded copy going for about only $131K last year while the 2 copies in CGC 5.0 and CGC 5.5 sold for just a tad over $200K earlier this year.  Probably a bit of a slide from last year or is it just plateauing and consolidation of the prices before it goes to the next level. (shrug)

As for that horrid looking so-called CGC 1.8 Conserved copy going for over $25K sure seems like a pretty strong price for that butt ugly looking copy.  I am actually surprsied it's only considered to be Conserved with all of that work done to it (i.e. tear seals to cover & interior, cover cleaned, leaf casting to cover, and married back cover).   And what is all that along the entire spine of the front cover and bottom portion of the back cover:  O.o  :p

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC Conserved GD- 1.8 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC Conserved GD- 1.8 Off-white pages....

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:
3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

ugliest 1.8 in existence

And yet it sold for over $25K...........go figure that!!!  :whatthe:

That book should be restored. It is just too ugly in its current state.

I hope everyone had a great event auction but I hope I can mention that there is some nice GA in the coming Sunday auction (11/24-12/1).

21708506%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

21708650%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

I am hoping that those two, and quite a few others, do not get lost in the shuffle!

Take care everyone! Have a great Thanksgiving Day and week!

Well, looks like that complete GGA cover run of Junior Comics must have finished in record price territory with all of them in the $3K+ range.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Surprisingly, this recently particular hot issue finished up with the lowest price out of the entire run at only $3,120:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junior Comics #15 (Fox, 1948) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages....

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like that complete GGA cover run of Junior Comics must have finished in record price territory with all of them in the $3K+ range.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Surprisingly, this recently particular hot issue finished up with the lowest price out of the entire run at only $3,120:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junior Comics #15 (Fox, 1948) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages....

I know. I was thinking of putting in a bid when I saw the relatively low price. Shoulda. Still shock from missing all the Baker OA.