• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

The Heritage auction is offering a nice high-grade copy of Large Feature Comic #8,  but can anyone shed some light on the train wreck at the bottom of this book?  Looks like there is a lot of room in the inner well - is this an example of shaken comic syndrome?

1 hour ago, mlansdown said:

The Heritage auction is offering a nice high-grade copy of Large Feature Comic #8,  but can anyone shed some light on the train wreck at the bottom of this book?  Looks like there is a lot of room in the inner well - is this an example of shaken comic syndrome?

I guess you must be referring to the little bump that Bug's foot is about to step on here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Large Feature Comic (Series II) #8 Bugs Bunny (Dell, 1942) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Now, that would most definitely take it out of the assigned CGC 9.2 grade range.  :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

My top 5 on the illustration art auction

illustration art has taken a price beating over the last few years, some good and some bad but it is was making minor comeback.  We will see if this virus make prices hit a brick wall ,Here are top 5 and reasons why they are in my book.

1-H.J Ward: Desert Madness Spicy pulp cover: I have seen this multiple times in real life. No photo or video can capture how great this painting is. In my many years of collecting pantings, some photograph better, some look exactly the same and same are in real life 10x better. This one is 10x better in real life. That is a shame for the consigner here as a free-auction inspection or day of the sale inspection, somebody would agree with me. I was stunned when I saw it in real life and there were a lot more expensive paintings next to it...it stood out. Timing is everything in life, this is gonna be very bad timing for the seller here. In 2014, the seller paid $43,750.00. I think here he is gonna be lucky to get away with 50% loss. It is currently at $15,000.00 and that is a STEAL.

2-Enoch Bolles:  Breezy Stories cover August 1935...even in a down market or a recovering market this piece is worth a solid 35K,  it big-27-22 and she is looking right at you..Winner all the way..currently no takes at all, with a $15,000 min bid, its back cover of the catalog if you have one...if you get a chance, sign in and look at those prior sales from 80K-35K and this is a lot better than a lot of those. under 20K, its a miracle and take it.

3-Edmund F. Ward Eyes of Love..classic 1921 Pictorial Review cover...you don't have to spend 10K  and get a great painting or magazine cover for the 1920's and it very big 34.5 by 28...its at a very low price of $1,050.00

4- Tom Lovell The corpse was beautiful...the use of color is fantastic and there are a few bidders who agree with me. It's at $6,250 and anything under 10K is a steal. It sold in 2009 for $13,145.00

5-Peter Driben Sweet and Sultry...Pin up art prices have taken a beating, but this piece is a "classic" it is currently at $2600 and anything under 5K is a steal...this sold in 2008 for $11,352, I think today its work at least ten but time are tough...5250 Plus BP=Winner

My list would include mostly science fiction pulp and paperback cover art with good provenance or publishing history.  Your number one pick of H. J. Ward's Desert Madness Spicy Adventure pulp cover is a very solid choice.  

Also totally agree with the Tom Lovell The Corpse Was Beautiful painting.  Looking at art from a long term perspective, the more risqué paintings can be a tougher resell, not that they're any less desirable and excellent high dollar flips in the right market.  That said, the market for pin-up art isn't something every fan may feel comfortable with ...spousal considerations also being taken into account... and paintings are something folks should consider for display as well.  Anyway, there are a lot of undervalued pieces coming up.

Among those I'd consider worth a close look at are the Virgil Finley Weird Tales cover painting, the Tim White Roger Zelazny Amber Chronicles alternative paperback painting and the Chesley Bonestell When World's Collide movie illustration (oil on canvas, Paramount, 1951).

:tink:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you must be referring to the little bump that Bug's foot is about to step on here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Large Feature Comic (Series II) #8 Bugs Bunny (Dell, 1942) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Now, that would most definitely take it out of the assigned CGC 9.2 grade range.  :facepalm:

Holy cow what a shame

The upcoming Tec 27 page 2 is surely from the same source as pages 1 and 3 that sold a few months back. The cuts are exactly the same. Wonder why it didn’t sell with the others. Well, here comes a good litmus test for how the coronavirus has or hasn’t affected things

95C73FFD-7303-4F46-B5D5-8D19B2F49322.png

7275CBAB-0342-4697-A53E-09C8C8C27B16.png

F92628B5-7113-4142-8BED-48D8970966C1.png

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I like this book, but I will probably wait a few years until it is reslabbed as a 9.4.  :)

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The upcoming Tec 27 page 2 is surely from the same source as pages 1 and 3 that sold a few months back. The cuts are exactly the same. Wonder why it didn’t sell with the others. Well, here comes a good litmus test for how the coronavirus has or hasn’t affected things

I find it interesting that some of these pages are selling for so much.  But, then again I have realized that I can only afford a page from Captain America Comics  (CAC) #1 so I can see why they are still in a "reasonable" price range.   Also some CAC pages just sold on Ebay for higher prices than I have seen recently, 

10 minutes ago, mlansdown said:

I like this book, but I will probably wait a few years until it is reslabbed as a 9.4.  :)

This is an 8.0 that just sold last month on HA (i was tracking both books since auction preview status (naturally) as i always track the sale prices of this key (been tempted to upgrade, but love my long time before i finally snagged one copy).

Anyway, i mention and show this just as a comparison where a lower graded book is likely a better specimen than a comparable higher graded copy

lf8.0.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, Mmehdy said:

MY TOP PICKS

2-Detective #2 6.5 this book is not gonna get lost, you are gonna have to pay, a keeper for life if you win, but the condition is among the top 5..a rare book but even rarer above 5.0.

Keeper for life, or at the very least a flipper from November. Maybe it will do better than 60% of guide this time with you pumping it up.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/detective-comics-2-dc-1937-cgc-fn-65-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/7212-92094.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Didn’t know about this. There’s been 2 sets of Bats pages for sales in the last 6 months I believe?  Are you thinking this is the one that was part of the first batch ? I was under the impression that all pages sold both times between 10-11k.  

43 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Keeper for life, or at the very least a flipper from November. Maybe it will do better than 60% of guide this time with you pumping it up.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/detective-comics-2-dc-1937-cgc-fn-65-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/7212-92094.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

We do not know if this sale is by a flipper, in fact it could be someone who has lost their job,or whose family members are infected with the virus. Crowzilla you are guessing here.  I would say that a non superhero purchase prior to 1938 and Platinum is not likely a flipper and I would grant you Detective #1 would be the most likely candidate here for purchase by flipper and not #2 or #3 or etc.. It is more likely somebody who buys superhero books might be a better choice to guess to call a flipper.. I would agree with you the quick sale turn around is a red flag but probably not for this book.  As to your comment on" pumping it up"...Sell your copy of this book in above 6.5 unrestored  with only 3 higher graded copies and try it get back..good luck. Of course I considered price a factor in calling the board attention to one of the better buys of the auction, and I was well aware that the prior sale of this book was on November 24, 2019 for $14,400.00 plus tax, plus shipping. The current bid price is $5500 and that is a steal..period and I stand by that , so is  6k, 6.5K, and 7K.

56 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Didn’t know about this. There’s been 2 sets of Bats pages for sales in the last 6 months I believe?  Are you thinking this is the one that was part of the first batch ? I was under the impression that all pages sold both times between 10-11k.  

Now that you point it out, my memory is same as yours. I think all 3 pages sold a few months ago, but when I researched it this morning, I could only find 2 of the pages in the Heritage archives.

must have been a problem completing the sale on the page that is back up for auction now

10 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

My list would include mostly science fiction pulp and paperback cover art with good provenance or publishing history.  Your number one pick of H. J. Ward's Desert Madness Spicy Adventure pulp cover is a very solid choice.  

Also totally agree with the Tom Lovell The Corpse Was Beautiful painting.  Looking at art from a long term perspective, the more risqué paintings can be a tougher resell, not that they're any less desirable and excellent high dollar flips in the right market.  That said, the market for pin-up art isn't something every fan may feel comfortable with ...spousal considerations also being taken into account... and paintings are something folks should consider for display as well.  Anyway, there are a lot of undervalued pieces coming up.

Among those I'd consider worth a close look at are the Virgil Finley Weird Tales cover painting, the Tim White Roger Zelazny Amber Chronicles alternative paperback painting and the Chesley Bonestell When World's Collide movie illustration (oil on canvas, Paramount, 1951).

I agree the Virgil Finley Weird tales cover is a winner all the way and my #6 Best Buy. I wish you can have seen that Cat..it was on a "grail wall" of 5 H.J. Wards including the greatest the "evil flame" and it stood out. When I back a 2d time on Desert Madness..it still stood out...I thought just because it was new, that is why I liked it so much. Pinup art is an acquired taste, and that market is more unstable than the Pulp art market by a mile. It is a real gamble when you buy a pin up piece and I have always used the the philosophy that you have to assume you will never get you money out and that it is a total loss, before any purchase of a pin up piece.

19 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree the Virgil Finley Weird tales cover is a winner all the way and my #6 Best Buy. I wish you can have seen that Cat..it was on a "grail wall" of 5 H.J. Wards including the greatest the "evil flame" and it stood out. When I back a 2d time on Desert Madness..it still stood out...I thought just because it was new, that is why I liked it so much. Pinup art is an acquired taste, and that market is more unstable than the Pulp art market by a mile. It is a real gamble when you buy a pin up piece and I have always used the the philosophy that you have to assume you will never get you money out and that it is a total loss, before any purchase of a pin up piece.

Definitely on the same page here.  All of the above are good investment pieces.  Looking at the artists’ credentials and provenance (history) of these pieces provides insight into their potential.  Most Weird Tales covers go for a premium, Virgil Finley’s work especially.  The late Tim White’s piece from a landmark Amber series by Roger Zelazny is exceptional.  It should easily over perform estimates and the Chesley Bonestell painting, while small, is connected to a famous 50’s science fiction film When World’s Collide.  It’s worth noting that the famed painter’s larger pieces often bring six figures.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

We do not know if this sale is by a flipper, in fact it could be someone who has lost their job,or whose family members are infected with the virus. Crowzilla you are guessing here.  .... The current bid price is $5500 and that is a steal..period and I stand by that , so is  6k, 6.5K, and 7K.

Considering this book was on the site in February, my guess is that it's not someone who lost their job or has infected family members. If it is, best of luck to them and I hope the money for this is exactly what you need to help.

Current price is a steal? Pretty much all the books are a steal at current price. But being that it is your #2 pick of the entire auction, it should be much more than a steal. If we are just going by today's bid price, I'll take the Action #13 at the same price over this every day of the week.

57 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

and the Chesley Bonestell painting, while small, is connected to a famous 50’s science fiction film When World’s Collide.  It’s worth noting that the famed painter’s larger pieces often bring six figures.

can you say some more about Bonestell, Cat

44 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

can you say some more about Bonestell, Cat

Wikipedia provides a nice concise overview of Chesley Bonestell's art and accomplishments...  (thumbsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Bonestell

Here's some additional information on Tim White and Virgil Finlay as well, while I'm at it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_White_(artist)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Finlay

I was very interested in the Subby 32 until I took a close look at it. How in tarnation is that a 7.0? It looks to me like it had several edge tears that were sealed and then unsealed, with color touch removed around all of them. I know everybody says that the grading process is anonymous and that Heritage doesn't get favorable treatment, but I have a hard time believing that when I see a book like the Subby 32 in a 7.0 holder.

Edited by jimbo_7071

19 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I was very interested in the Subby 32 until I took a close look at it. How in tarnation is that a 7.0? It looks to me like it had several edge tears that were sealed and then unsealed, with color touch removed around all of them. I know everybody says that the grading process is anonymous and that Heritage doesn't get favorable treatment, but I have a hard time believing that when I see a book like the Subby 32 in a 7.0 holder.

you're right.  That's exactly how it looks . . .

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-32-timely-1949-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-92075.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

you're right.  That's exactly how it looks . . .

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-32-timely-1949-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-92075.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I guess you are referring to this copy of Subby 32 here:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F1%2F6%2F0%2F22160084%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Just wondering how do you know that the book was sent in for grading by Heritage and not by somebody else?  ???

As for the rest of your comments with respect to the grading it looks like you are spot on here. (thumbsu

Maybe it's a case of paying your dues and since the book has by now gone through CGC at least 3 times, they probably figured it deserves a break when it comes to the grading. :devil: