• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

can you say some more about Bonestell, Cat

I thought about bidding on that piece and did some research as When Worlds Collide is on my SF movies of all time. Both main cast members nailed it, and so did Joyces dad. I ran my copy of that movie back and compared it to the painting that was on the screen. It did not match color wise nor content. It appears to be a partial drawing of that painting or a prelim, with another part left out. BUT, the original painting according to my research was burned up in a fire from the producers house George Pal. SO, this is the last remaining and surviving work of art on that image. In looking at the current price at $2500 even though it is small 8x10 it is HISTORY.

56 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I haven't purchased from Heritage in at least 8 years.  A rep called me up on my cell today and asked why.  Anybody else get a call?

I received an e-mail, but not sure if they called the home line or not. They are looking for consignment items. My guess is that with the press/slab/flip game being slowed due to a lack of conventions, and collectors holding off due to worries about prices dropping due to COVID-19, it is tough to line up auction items now. I will say that while last month was hit or miss for my auctions on CLink, this month is doing very well with a number of new GPA highs. 

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

I received an e-mail, but not sure if they called the home line or not. They are looking for consignment items. My guess is that with the press/slab/flip game being slowed due to a lack of conventions, and collectors holding off due to worries about prices dropping due to COVID-19, it is tough to line up auction items now. I will say that while last month was hit or miss for my auctions on CLink, this month is doing very well with a number of new GPA highs. 

My guess is that the reason they are looking for more consignment items is that they seem to be increasing the frequency of their Signature Auctions.  :gossip:

So obviously, it's going to take a lot more books for them to come up with the same type of quality books to fill their auction slots.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

My guess is that the reason they are looking for more consignment items is that they seem to be increasing the frequency of their Signature Auctions.  :gossip:

So obviously, it's going to take a lot more books for them to come up with the same type of quality books to fill their auction slots.  (thumbsu

they will increase SA's by 33% they have to get good stuff to attract a crowd, I agree

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Might be looking for widows to consign books.  The ultimate in cold calling.  hm

I think that is what they are doing, reaching out to various people that buy but never sell and folks that haven't been around for a while so at a minimum you have Heritage's name in your head should you decide to sell in the future.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Is it just me or is the quality of their books starting to trend downwards with the increased frequency of their Signature Auctions?  (shrug)

Logically this would be the case.  There are pros and cons to expanding featured auctions.  IMO, the cons outweigh the pros.  The biggest pro is that with increased frequency a better read on trends and rising or falling book values can be achieved.  But that’s about the only real benefit that I can see.  When Signature auctions were quarterly, they were special events, with plenty of lead time to get books in, prepare catalogs and for bidders to prepare war-chests. Bi-monthly auctions may start to seem routine with sparser offerings and less active participation.  Mixing in the game stuff was a big mistake, IMO.  The crossover ...with GA especially... doesn’t seem compatible.

Bottom line, the timing for this expansion of Signature Auctions seems wrong.  I’m sure it’s been in the works awhile, but given the onset of the covid-19 crisis, loss of voice auctions, the color-boosted scan controversy with few if any opportunities to view lots directly and the rise of buyer fees and tax impositions, the increased schedule seems premature and doesn’t have the best optics.

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Logically this would be the case.  There are pros and cons to expanding featured auctions.  IMO, the cons outweigh the pros.  The biggest pro is that with increased frequency a better read on trends and rising or falling book values can be achieved.  But that’s about the only real benefit that I can see.  When Signature auctions were quarterly, they were special events, with plenty of lead time to get books in, prepare catalogs and for bidders to prepare war-chests. Bi-monthly auctions may start to seem routine with sparser offerings and less active participation.  Mixing in the game stuff was a big mistake, IMO.  The crossover ...with GA especially... doesn’t seem compatible.

Bottom line, the timing for this expansion of Signature Auctions seems wrong.  I’m sure it’s been in the works awhile, but given the onset of the covid-19 crisis, loss of voice auctions, the color-boosted scan controversy with few if any opportunities to view lots directly and the rise of buyer fees and tax impositions, the increased schedule seems premature and doesn’t have the best optics.

The special part now, really, is the platinum session.  

29 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Loss of voice auctions?    There will be no live auctioneer?   I guess that makes sense although I was hoping they had a work around

I guess I missed that part. The auction is just up the way for me and I thought I’d go.

maybe not?

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Loss of voice auctions?    There will be no live auctioneer?   I guess that makes sense although I was hoping they had a work around

I guess I missed that part. The auction is just up the way for me and I thought I’d go.

maybe not?

It's a bit too bad the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions weren't being lifted one day earlier in time for the Platinum live portion of this Heritage Auction. hm

Especially since with the low number of attendees that usually tend to show up for these things, it should really be relatively easy to maintain physical distancing without too much problem at all.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I am not aware of any increase in the 20% BP juice for Heritage which has been in place for quite awhile now?  ???

Well, it increased longer ago than it seems.  Those on the bidding end still aren't that fond of it.  lol

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

The statement below was at the top of my email watch list from Heritage on the April 27th (if anything has changed I'm unaware of it)...

Important: All auctions until further notice will be online and phone bidding only. Take advantage of our high resolution images and videos to place bids up until the live event, and then continue to bid during the Heritage Live auction event, including live streaming audio and video.

This suggests no live auctioneer to me.  Streaming audio and video could mean images of books and the sound of a gavel ...hey, maybe it'll sound like the opening of Law and Order.  :D

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The statement below was at the top of my email watch list from Heritage on the April 27th (if anything has changed I'm unaware of it)...

Important: All auctions until further notice will be online and phone bidding only. Take advantage of our high resolution images and videos to place bids up until the live event, and then continue to bid during the Heritage Live auction event, including live streaming audio and video.

This suggests no live auctioneer to me.  Streaming audio and video could mean images of books and the sound of a gavel ...hey, maybe it'll sound like the opening of Law and Order.  :D

Thanks. I figured if they are holding the auction at all, they somehow got themselves qualified as essential business. I guess that in itself is a bit bonkers.  And then as @lou_fine points out, social distancing is never hard. Other than the bevy of Heritage employees,  It’s usually just me and John verzyl’s kids