• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Indeed, because there are so many of them available to choose from in the open market.  The CGC 5.0 HA copy that sold too was pretty darn ugly as well with all that color touch removal.  Not a fan at all, I'm sure most would feel the same.  

In any case, if I am still a bigger fan of Sensation 1 over AS 8 and WW1.  Just a much better cover than the other two and the hardest to come by for sale.

I'm of the mind ASC8 and SC1 should be regarded like Hulk 180 and Hulk 181

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The 9.6 graded Church copy of Startling 10 looks like a real steal at just a tad over top of guide price right now. :takeit:

Definitely a much better deal than the TMNT #1 at something like $75K already and still the live portion to go. O.o

Especially when you consider the fact that there are 24 copies of TMNT #1 in CGC 9.8 graded condition, and yet only a total of 15 graded Statling 10's with only 1 copy above CGC 8.0.  From my point of view, it's a no-brainer as to which one appears to be more of a deal between these 2 books.  hm

Well...you can't exactly bank on the entire generation of kids who grew up with Fighting Yank comics, movies, cartoons, and video games to drive up the value on Startling 10 Church copy much more as they come of age get nostalgic and have more money than they know what to do with...guess well see in 10-15 years which appreciates more, my guess is even at 90k it'll be the Turtles #1.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That surprised me. I owned that book at one point. Sold it when I upgraded. I both bought it and sold it for a lot less than it went for today. One of my favorite GA covers and my favorite Baker non-romance cover. I think this shows again that SS 4 does much better in the market than does SS 6, although I know there are some boardies who prefer 6 to 4. 

I wasn't super shocked by the SS result. I expected at least $8k based on a strong offer or two I got for my 5.5.

The A-Man 22 result was strong, but it's rare....and awesome.

13 minutes ago, szav said:

Well...you can't exactly bank on the entire generation of kids who grew up with Fighting Yank comics, movies, cartoons, and video games to drive up the value on Startling 10 Church copy much more as they come of age get nostalgic and have more money than they know what to do with...guess well see in 10-15 years which appreciates more, my guess is even at 90k it'll be the Turtles #1.

you mean the Fighting Crank?  What millennial wouldn't fall in love at first sight?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 minutes ago, Bat34 said:

GCG, what was it like being on the floor at the auction?  Have you done that previously?

@GreatCaesarsGhost

Yes, I've gone to many, but its really convenient for me.  10 minutes from where I work.  This one seemed historic given the Cap 1 9.4, so I just wanted to feel the vibe as it all went down.  The room broke out in applause when the hammer came down.  Really, you only have 15 - 20 people in the room, all murmuring into phones and going thru laptops and catalogs.  I knew a few of them.  To me, the most interesting people in the crowd were John Verzyl's kids.  It was fun to watch them bid.  The young man was classic.  He had such unbridled enthusiasm, and seemed to have good discipline.  If the book went over his bid, he would groan, smile, and then stop his bidding.

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That surprised me. I owned that book at one point. Sold it when I upgraded. I both bought it and sold it for a lot less than it went for today. One of my favorite GA covers and my favorite Baker non-romance cover. I think this shows again that SS 4 does much better in the market than does SS 6, although I know there are some boardies who prefer 6 to 4. 

Didn't surprise me. I thought it might go even higher, the market for this book grows every day and the supply is looow. I get asked about my copy and my CL25 all the time. When I go to shows strangers come up, weeping that I should part lol. 

19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The Seven Seas #4 is now right up there with Phantom Lady #17 as far as price vs. grade is concerned. Maybe a tad behind still. The scarcity factors into it as well (30 copies graded for SS4 vs. 96 for PL17).

17 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, I've gone to many, but its really convenient for me.  10 minutes from where I work.  This one seemed historic given the Cap 1 9.4, so I just wanted to feel the vibe as it all went down.  The room broke out in applause when the hammer came down.  Really, you only have 15 - 20 people in the room, all murmuring into phones and going thru laptops and catalogs.  I knew a few of them.  To me, the most interesting people in the crowd were John Verzyl's kids.  It was fun to watch them bid.  The young man was classic.  He had such unbridled enthusiasm, and seemed to have good discipline.  If the book went over his bid, he would groan, smile, and then stop his bidding.

I’ve often considered going to a Heritage auction, but so far never have.  I only live about 20 minutes away from the Dallas HA offices.  However, I can gauge just as well if not better on line what’s happening on the floor and via other bidding methods than being there in person.  For instance, it’s much easier to estimate the payout ...including buyer’s premiums... while following and/or bidding on-line.

That said, as an accomplished amateur auctioneer ...a 30+ year veteran of live art and charity auctions at SF conventions including Worldcons... I’m fully aware of the discipline required to avoid overbidding under pressure.  So what I have to weigh is the value of direct participation.  The same risks apply to on-line bidding, but without the distractions.  The main downside is the slight risk that the connection could be dropped or the placement of a bid doesn’t register in real time and is lost.  Otherwise, the control is at your fingertips.

One caveat to on-line bidding.  If you’ve been drinking the night before or feel shaky, don’t place your hand anywhere near the BID button on the touchscreen during the live auction.   (tsk)

Edited by Cat-Man_America

38 minutes ago, skybolt said:

The Seven Seas #4 is now right up there with Phantom Lady #17 as far as price vs. grade is concerned. Maybe a tad behind still. The scarcity factors into it as well (30 copies graded for SS4 vs. 96 for PL17).

I certainly wished this was true, but I highly doubt it since I do happen to have a nice copy of SS 4 in my own personal collection.  :whee:

I believe one of the main reasons for the current large disparity in the census count between PL 17 and the seeming scarcity of SS 4 is due to the simple fact that PL 17 has always been a hot classic cover book ever since the 70's.  Definitely not the same situation with the Seven Seas 4 which appears to be one of the new hot fad GGA cover books that has gained popularity recently.  hm

Maybe Seven Seas 4 will narrow the census gap a bit as time goes on, especially now that collectors are starting to see the value of the book.  :taptaptap:

14 hours ago, comicnoir said:
20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Didn't surprise me. I thought it might go even higher, the market for this book grows every day and the supply is looow. I get asked about my copy and my CL25 all the time. When I go to shows strangers come up, weeping that I should part lol. 

Still seems like a pretty substantial price increase -- nearly tripling in four years. And it had a steep run up prior to that. I bought a raw copy for $350 on eBay in 2013. It ended up grading as a 4.0.

Seems to reflect the fact that some of Baker's non-romance books have been increasing in price faster than his romance books. Which raises the question of whether a copy of CL 25 in the same grade could also bring $10K. I'm thinking not, but these days, who knows?

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Still seems like a pretty substantial price increase -- nearly tripling in four years. And it had a steep run up prior to that. I bought a raw copy for $350 on eBay in 2013. It ended up grading as a 4.0.

Seems to reflect the fact that some of Baker's non-romance books have been increasing in price faster than his romance books. Which raises the question of whether a copy of CL 25 in the same grade could also bring $10K. I'm thinking not, but these days, who knows?

A Cinderella Love 25 3.0 sold for $8K on these boards. I know of ppl who say they would pay that price without hesitation. $10K seems not unreasonable for a 4.5. 

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

A Cinderella Love 25 3.0 sold for $8K on these boards. I know of ppl who say they would pay that price without hesitation. $10K seems not unreasonable for a 4.5. 

Yikes! I missed that. Yep, if a 3.0 went for $8K, $10K for a 4.5 does seem reasonable -- if not low! Still only 16 copies on the census, with only seven in 5.5 and above.

The prices of mid-grade Bakers seems to have been softening a bit lately. But clearly there are exceptions!

On 8/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Just got here!

81916E59-6B4F-4A3A-A50E-0C8B8AC20371.jpeg

Was it the usual typical small crowd of people at this Heritage Live Auction?  hm

I remember years ago when they held one of their big Signature Auction right in the middle of the SD Con.  With well over 100,000 convention attendees down there, I was expecting to see a relatively sizable crowd during the live portion of the auction.  When I walked into the room, I was surprised to see that there were barely 20 people in there and I am sure a good portion of them were Heritage employees themselves.  :whatthe:

Definitely couldn't complain about all of the goodies and refreshments though since there was ample to go around considering the small crowd.  :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, skybolt said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17. I actually prefer Kamen's cover to PL 23 to PL 17. I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though.