• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

MY top 5 and let me preference this by saying that my top top choice will remain  a secret as a new GA board member is bidding on it, new GA collector...lets let him win this one.

1-"Jetta" original art page 1 # 7...classic Dan DeCarlo...classic SF 50's art page, the hardcover Jetta book is one of my Favs...very undervalued page, this only went 3 issues..they are all classic reads, it at like $750.

2-Special Edition #1 Captain Marvel....Pedigree copy 9.6..in the early days of collecting this blew away Captain Marvel #1 as it appeared  much earlier ..over  the years this forgotten KEY book as been ignored and neglected...a great copy...undervalued and will boot strap up in value in the next big  Whiz#2  sale....best $ buy in the entire auction given the exceptional condition and pedigree only.

3-Sparkler  comics #9 MH white pages 9.6...what a great book and cover...even if you went back in a time machine, I don't think you could buy a better copy. exceptional. 

4-Air Fighter comics v2 #7...classic over, this is MH pedigree and 9.4...I just always like this book and the cover...and this condition you can see why this beats all the other copies by a mile

5-For you early GA collectors I like Funny pages # 10 7.5 and looks like 8,0 minimum 1937...rare....forgotten in this auction..currently at 360..with a guide of say 1000....a steal at say $500-600

Edited by Mmehdy

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

About the auction you're right , some awesome books. Got 91 in my watchlist. Can't buy or sell anymore this year too bad for me. But its one of the best auctions I can remember. 

So glad you posted that link. I was wondering what the Alfred Pennyworth collection was. Now there is an example of someone doing it right. Well written article too. I had never heard about the theft. 

They kept the reader in suspense about whether or not he got his books back.  That Comic store owner in Arizona was a stand up guy for sure. 

23 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

About the auction you're right , some awesome books. Got 91 in my watchlist. Can't buy or sell anymore this year too bad for me. But its one of the best auctions I can remember. 

So glad you posted that link. I was wondering what the Alfred Pennyworth collection was. Now there is an example of someone doing it right. Well written article too. I had never heard about the theft. 

They kept the reader in suspense about whether or not he got his books back.  That Comic store owner in Arizona was a stand up guy for sure. 

No prob and yeah some amazing books! I can’t wait to see what this finishes at.

CB1F1F52-F22C-412F-B376-7BC2332312CD.jpeg

yeah I didn't see it got that high. Very good chance it gets left alone from here on. Seems pretty high but who knows these days. Plus there are so few. I thought there was more than 3 9.8's. Just looked up Tec 359 , only 4 9.8's. Compared to Silver Marvels there are a lot less DC 9.8's. I learn something new every day around here.

Edited by Professor Chaos

21 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow, the Pennyworth collection looks insane!

The passion to collect came from his father’s despair. Wouldn’t have batted an eye putting this grandma in the old folks home. 
"In the early 1940s, my father was starting to buy comics. He kept them under his bed and boxes. I can only imagine he had a nice collection. He told me he had an Action Comics #1, a Batman #1, he had a Detective Comics #27," Lawrence says. One day, however, after the U.S. entered World War II, Lawrence's grandmother donated all those comics to a paper drive. Just like that, they were gone. "He came home from school and his books were gone. It's something that bothered him forever."

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

The passion to collect came from his father’s despair. Wouldn’t have batted an eye putting this grandma in the old folks home. 
"In the early 1940s, my father was starting to buy comics. He kept them under his bed and boxes. I can only imagine he had a nice collection. He told me he had an Action Comics #1, a Batman #1, he had a Detective Comics #27," Lawrence says. One day, however, after the U.S. entered World War II, Lawrence's grandmother donated all those comics to a paper drive. Just like that, they were gone. "He came home from school and his books were gone. It's something that bothered him forever."

Sucks is an understatement.  Stories like that help make action 1 and Tec 27 so rare. However. 

12 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

yeah I didn't see it got that high. Very good chance it gets left alone from here on. Seems pretty high but who knows these days. Plus there are so few. I thought there was more than 3 9.8's. Just looked up Tec 359 , only 4 9.8's. Compared to Silver Marvels there are a lot less DC 9.8's. I learn something new every day around here.

I remember seeing this book in uncirculated comic packs which were available for a few hundred bucks.  Maybe a dozen years ago.  

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

If he hadn't, this would be an auction of stolen books! 

Check out the big brain on tth2! Haha you're right. I didn't think of that while I was engrossed (I've never used that word before) in the article. I wasn't sure if he got them ALL back. Darn near miracle he did. 

In this Heritage article it seems he also had a time getting the books back from the court system, at least thats how I interpret it.  https://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/one-of-the-most-storied-and-celebrated-collections-of-batman-comics-heads-to-heritage-auctions-in-november.s?releaseId=4006&type=social-Twitter-Comics-7236-pr4006-103020

Lawrence and attorney Wayne Schwartz spent a long time trying to reclaim his comics — first, from the man who pleaded guilty to trafficking Lawrence's stolen property; then, from the investigators and attorneys who had taken custody of his books. When he finally got them back earlier this year, "I felt like the luckiest, luckiest guy," Lawrence says.

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, tabcom said:

I have no idea. I guess it comes down to the last bid during the live auction.

Oh gotcha. Yeah I just didn’t understand what you meant. All his Batman books are super rare in the conditions their in, so demand would heavily outweigh supply. Since the supply is near impossible to come by. Like the Batman 181 CGC 9.8. That’s the first 9.8 I’ve seen come to auction in the 8 years I’ve been collecting and I’m not even sure a 9.8 has ever sold publicly. Just as an example.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Who doesn’t want a sweet Detective 2 (CGC 7.0) and 26 (CGC 5.5) but both seem generously graded. The 2 looks like restoration was removed (leaving dried glue behind) with the scrape and dig technique and still somehow managed a 7.0 and the 26 ... Compare to my 5.0 13 and you decide? As for the auction itself, I watched the Randy Lawrence/Pennyworth video in its entirety and am in awe of this collection. Not sure it’s received the buzz that the Berk auction did but it’s staggering how many beautiful books are for sale.  Not sure Berk ever chased grades like Lawrence did though?

47342CD8-AF61-4C88-9F76-9141ABC748F0.png

E8C59EC2-95E6-46B3-B3DA-C07B862CED67.png

612B1729-5474-470C-AF43-C5140D9CEA08.jpeg