• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE OUTER LIMITS ('Watchmen' connection)

3 posts in this topic

A couple of months ago a local artist friend, Bill Naylor, surprised me with a gift painting he'd produced for a 2018 local exhibition of his work.  The painting, measuring a large 31" x 41", was Bill's take on the Thetan alien from the classic 1963 OUTER LIMITS episode, 'The Architects of Fear' (we're both big addicts of the original series).  Knowledgeable fans of Alan Moore's WATCHMEN series will know that the writer took inspiration in part from the OUTER LIMITS episode for his comic-book series (in fact, you can see a clip of the OL episode being played towards the end of the WATCHMEN movie adaptation).

At the same time Bill gifted me with his painting, I'd been waiting a full year to take delivery of a full-size latex bust of the Thetan alien from Canadian sculptor James Ferreira who had created a replica based on the original screen-used prop, molding only a handful of casts which came unpainted and hollow.

Following on from Bill's painting, shown here, I'm also including in this post a progression of photos showing my own work on bringing the Thetan alien to life.  I filled the hollow bust with polyurethane rigid foam, levelled-off the neck cavity with more filler and eliminated all flaws and seam-joins, latex rubber being a very tricky material to work with. The bust was attached to a wooden display stand and I proceeded to paint the head, mostly with an airbrush device, with some touch-ups and work on the eyes with a traditional paintbrush. I think he came out quite well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.jpg

17.jpg

41 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Definitely not something to place in a small child's bedroom before they are trying to go to sleep.:cool:

Should come in handy to scare away unwanted visits by my wife's family of nephews and nieces . . .