• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, longer term the trajectory has definitely been upwards even though there have been extended pauses and a few slight dips in there along the way.  (thumbsu

Just don’t expect to flip it in a year.  Hold and enjoy and if when it does go up then revisit.  If it doesn’t then hopefully it isn’t a big loss.  Pretty simple really 

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

I think the first time I considered selling mine, being broke, it was at $80 dollars in overstreet.  That was around 1972.  I didn't do that either.  The next time I looked it was decades later and I think 3K was about right. 

Amazing that you kept it this long. Books come and go so quickly and to keep one since acquisition is amazing.

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

(thumbsu

well, better would be that it should have been in the collectors pile which recognized why it had been significant at the time, money withstanding. There are so few. Action 1's from back in the depression when .10 cents was a big deal.  So, there's , this one, first batman number I don't know and I have to look at the early ones  ( Ilove challengers of the unknown)  as a kid going to the beach in the fifties with one dollar ( thanks mom!) . We got an orange crush and a comic and were out of her hair all day. No more except maybe an Abba Zabba and we bellied up in the warm sand and life was incredible! Give up those moments. 

Now? not so  much . Flip it, make 1% and move one. It's all money now, no love.  Why would you have ever thought that Iron man 55 would be a big deal later on, or ASM 129? I have no clue but there was this guy in me that bought them for .015  and took better care of them in the long run than that AF15.  When it sold, it went at a spectacularly high price and I've caught for it along with Bob every since. Why is that?  The joke has gotten tired but it persists to a few posts back. . why not consider the circumstances, accept they were what they are and celebrate this dumb book about a radioactive spider that seem to have caught the world's imagination. Now that concept was the remarkable dumb one.  Thor's origin story is at least as good but high school kids didn't pick on Dr Blake. I still have all of them.  

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

EXACTLY!!!  (thumbsu

When you break it down by grade, copies above 6.0 are not as plentiful. That's probably true of any SA blue chip. Then add to that the copies that are being hoarded and may not ever surface again.

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

EXACTLY!!!  (thumbsu

When you break it down by grade, copies above 6.0 are not as plentiful.

Very true, but as we all know by now, economics states that price is determined by supply and demand.

Although the supply of AF 15's in CGC 6.0 and above might not be that plentiful, it should also be noted that the demand in terms of the number of buyers willing to pay for a copy in CGC 6.0 and above are also not that plentiful.  hm

For example, take a look at how fast that demand for CGC 5.0 copies of AF 15's was satiated once they hit the $50K mark.  

If I were to go back to SA buying there are books I would rather buy first. My fav is Thor so a JIM83 would go first. Hulk would go next. Spidey and the others would go after.

28 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

If I were to go back to SA buying there are books I would rather buy first. My fav is Thor so a JIM83 would go first. Hulk would go next. Spidey and the others would go after.

Jim 83 is not really The Thor 1st app. Everything about the character Thor except the visual design is a direct transfer (blatant rip off) from ancient Northern mythology.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Very true, but as we all know by now, economics states that price is determined by supply and demand.

Although the supply of AF 15's in CGC 6.0 and above might not be that plentiful, it should also be noted that the demand in terms of the number of buyers willing to pay for a copy in CGC 6.0 and above are also not that plentiful.  hm

For example, take a look at how fast that demand for CGC 5.0 copies of AF 15's was satiated once they hit the $50K mark.  

Bob actually had mine listed at $55K. I don't know what his final sales price was. I never asked. I do know what I received as a payment.  I do agree that the number of available copies goes way down once you hit a 6.5 or higher. GPA confirms that in the census.  I also agree that the number of qualified customers for those grades is a small pond.  I note that Bob had a "Detectives 33 " listed for over $200K in one of his recent emails. That's a lot of money. 

Edited by Glassman10
correction

On 6/22/2019 at 1:40 AM, VintageComics said:

There was a lot of talk about this copy because a boardie held it raw and even tried to buy it raw. But I don't think anyone on here said it was upgradeable.

I did say that it may have looked like an upgrade candidate to the buyer, and hence the strong price or that someone simply wanted a spectacular copy for the grade and bid the heck out of it (just like PeeWee did when he bought his FF #1 years ago and set a record).

@peewee22 was this your copy?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-fn-65-white-pages/a/825-45157.s

That copy went for DOUBLE what previous copies were going for in grade and then the market took off for that book as well simply because of that one sale. But it eventually slowed back down until the market caught up with that price point and has started to exceed it again.

Just like you're seeing now with AF #15.

The problem with the way the market is viewed by the casual observer is that copies that do upgrade (or copies that look extremely good for the eye appeal) set new benchmarks and then everyone just assumes that's the new bench mark for all copies.

Yes. I tried to buy that copy when it was raw, but the seller and I couldn't quite come to terms. I regret not just manning up, but it would have been an all time high price and the PQ (which was obviously CR/OW) and the back cover staining/paper loss made me hesitate. Front cover wise though...it's the best 5.0 I have ever seen. Beautiful front. Exceptional.