• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2019 at 7:26 PM, blazingbob said:

Without GPA or something to tell you that it's a fair price the comic buying public is lost.  Watch the look of panic when there isn't a recent GPA sale to figure out if the price of the book is fair or not.  

I'm lost with or without GPA.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, NoMan said:

many major dealers/auction houses have been in communication with me regarding the shocking decline of AF15s. No one's really sure what to do at this point but unload unwanted product (in this case AF15) and stocking up on what is selling: variants. Believe me, I'm not happy about it either. But variants are selling. Like Mad. Again, go to Frank and Sons in Los Angeles and collectors are literally fighting over the latest 1:5000 variant and than I see people offer crazy money to those people top let them go. .

It's called progress and it's not always easy. Who wants to buy an original Tom Mix doll? Nobody, that's who. Pretty soon the kids aren't gonna know the importance of AF15 (heck if they don't already) and you hoarding yours for years and years ain't gonna help in your sideways strategy of "cashing out" ain't gonna work if you wait much longer. I predict in less then 10 years they stop becoming "wall books."

Here is your variant crowd....

Edited by Mercury Man

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Here is your variant crowd....

this isn't surprising to me, but it's beyond shocking none-the-less. God awful Mother-in-law got involved with this feces and bought and sold at the Rose Bowl flea Market. Upon her death there were THOUSANDS of them in a shed in the back yard. We tried to give them away at her "celebration of life" festival and the kids (and I mean little, little kids) couldn't give a feces. 

Edited by NoMan

29 minutes ago, Beige said:

I bought an AF #15 at a high point in the market during the current god-awful exchange rate as well to make it worse.

It should be here very soon and will be on my wall until I sell off my whole collection or die.

It's the first app of Spider-man - the kid I grew up reading about, sharing the great moments and the terrible losses.

It's one of the greatest, if not the greatest Marvel Character.

I own the 1st app of Spider-Man.

If I lost half my money - I could not care less. The memories alone will more than make up for it.

Face-It-Tiger.thumb.jpg.1be662aacc37bd2c2f8a2173af89706a.jpg

Just your MJ page is worth a like.

How is wish I owned the OA to this page.

1 hour ago, Beige said:

I bought an AF #15 at a high point in the market during the current god-awful exchange rate as well to make it worse.

It should be here very soon and will be on my wall until I sell off my whole collection or die.

It's the first app of Spider-man - the kid I grew up reading about, sharing the great moments and the terrible losses.

It's one of the greatest, if not the greatest Marvel Character.

I own the 1st app of Spider-Man.

If I lost half my money - I could not care less. The memories alone will more than make up for it.

Face-It-Tiger.thumb.jpg.1be662aacc37bd2c2f8a2173af89706a.jpg

I love collectors like this. The character first, the money last. Wish there were more of these. (thumbsu

59 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I love collectors like this. The character first, the money last. Wish there were more of these. (thumbsu

I think a few people might have just choked on their breakfast!

I certainly flip books for $$ - but I use all that money to buy personal collection books - this is one of only 48 in that personal collection group - none of which are for sale unless I upgrade or have a family emergency (as I did 2 yrs ago when my wife had a stroke along with fighting cancer).

Thankyou though - Spidey stays - it's worth more than $$

Sorry for krap pic -terrible light in my room - part of my personal collection

2108676423_IMG_20191105_133527(1).thumb.jpg.d0e0c50d97e6a47193b239d18eaa48c5.jpg

Edited by Beige

40 minutes ago, Beige said:

I think a few people might have just choked on their breakfast!

I certainly flip books for $$ - but I use all that money to buy personal collection books - this is one of only 48 in that personal collection group - none of which are for sale unless I upgrade or have a family emergency (as I did 2 yrs ago when my wife had a stroke along with fighting cancer).

Thankyou though - Spidey stays - it's worth more than $$

Sorry for krap pic -terrible light in my room - part of my personal collection

2108676423_IMG_20191105_133527(1).thumb.jpg.d0e0c50d97e6a47193b239d18eaa48c5.jpg

We cannot see the books. Is that a GA Detective Comics on the lower right?

28 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

We cannot see the books. Is that a GA Detective Comics on the lower right?

Sorry - yeah #38,#58 and #66

9 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks for all the great input folks. Keep it up. Always good to get insights from different parts of the community.

If by chance you're speaking of my input, I rarely know what I'm talking about. I'd love to be a part of any community that would have me. :sorry:

Maybe this community would have me if I said AF15 is bulletproof but it's not. Variants are. And Beenie Babies

Edited by NoMan

I recently bought a book from a seller on these boards and one condition of purchase is that I come to this thread and tell everyone I'm pulling your leg on variants overtaking AF15's in value and what not.

So, to the boards, I'm pulling your leg. Who in their right mind would think some dumb variants are going to overtake AF15 or that AF15 would ever not be a "wall book?"

I mean, seriously.

I'll chip in on the AF15 experiences:

In 2002, I bought a gorgeous restored copy for about $2200. To me, this book looked 8.0 or better.

Last fall, I sent it to CGC. It came back a 6.0 (PLOD of course). What?!?!

Then I realized there was a massive crease on the back cover, very hard to notice. (That said, it was still a beautiful book, and I was thrilled to own it for when I did.)

EVEN UNDER THOSE circumstances, (restored, condition overestimated by me) I sold it this year for 6 times what I paid.

Thanks, Stan! :)

21 hours ago, NoMan said:

I recently bought a book from a seller on these boards and one condition of purchase is that I come to this thread and tell everyone I'm pulling your leg on variants overtaking AF15's in value and what not.

So, to the boards, I'm pulling your leg. Who in their right mind would think some dumb variants are going to overtake AF15 or that AF15 would ever not be a "wall book?"

I mean, seriously.

Well, there's a conversation killer. 

22 hours ago, NoMan said:

I mean, seriously.

I had wondered if you lost your mind :)

On 11/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, NoMan said:

I mean, seriously.

You’ve been doing this for awhile now, especially af15

52 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

You’ve been doing this for awhile now, especially af15

The plot thickens OR I'm bored between gigs.

As the incredible screenwriter William Goldman said about Hollywood, I say about comic "experts" and their predictions:

Nobody knows nothen'

Edited by NoMan