• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jaydogrules said:

A few recent apparent sales on Ebay suggest the book may actually be heating up again...

Guess somebody will have to start a whole new thread again now.  :fear:

Leave it to you to only show up when there is a financial incentive.

AF #15 hasn't continued to drop in value.

When those books hit record prices 2.5 years ago, the market moved based on those prices even though those copies were all bought because they looked like potentially upgradeable copies (just as I said they were when they sold at the time).

The market simply corrected back to it's normal pattern (as it always does once anomalies are removed).

35 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

AF #15 hasn't continued to drop in value.

When those books hit record prices 2.5 years ago, the market moved based on those prices even though those copies were all bought because they looked like potentially upgradeable copies (just as I said they were when they sold at the time).

The market simply corrected back to it's normal pattern (as it always does once anomalies are removed).

Please, do tell us more about how you know why "all" copies of AF 15 have sold for what they have.

Spoken like a true know it all.  Your armchair "analysis" is just as wrong now as it was then.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Please, do tell us more about how you know why "all" copies of AF 15 have sold for what they have.

Spoken like a true know it all.  Your armchair "analysis" is just as wrong now as it was then.

Anybody intellectually honest that has been following this conversation between you and I has already seen history bear witness.

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

So says the comic book dealer.  

I've never said that comic books only go up. Does that make me a bad dealer or a good dealer? :makepoint:

If non chipped, no tears, no major stains  5.0's go at auction consistently for around $40K, I would say the market has dropped some, but I don't see that.  It just isn't rising at that grade either. That doesn't spell doom and gloom, it just says that buyers are getting fussier which I view as smarter investing. 

Part of my point is that I see substantial variance in the viewable quality of the 5.0's as graded. I think buyers are looking far more at the quality of the book they are staring at.  It seems to have gone somewhat beyond whether a book might be upgradable but really just  not allowing your lying eyes to evaluate condition. This comic took quite a ride up for a number of years. There seems to me to be calming of the market believing that it will keep on rising. That doesn't mean it's going down though.  I suspect that a good deal of the anxiety would come from folks who have bought the book with borrowed money and they need to service that debt, either that or smaller investors who did indeed use their own money but hoped to quickly flip their copy and pick up 5%.  That doesn't seem to be in the cards right now but it doesn't men decline. It's a lot of why I prefer the stock market. Stock are really easy to liquidate if one has to. 

When you look at the prices that Silverweb supplied, I am curious as to whether the sales price, say for the Oct 41K sale includes the final costs of premiums on both buyers and sellers coupled to sales tax potential. That would make that a lot more expensive. 

Edited by Glassman10

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:
14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Anybody intellectually honest that has been following this conversation between you and I has already seen history bear witness.

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

So says the comic book dealer.  

I've never said that comic books only go up. Does that make me a bad dealer or a good dealer? :makepoint:

Round 128.. FIGHT! :slapfight: :popcorn:

Would a 5.0 with White Pages sell for more or less than a 5.0 with OW pages, all else being equal? That's what I really wanna know! :shy:

Edited by drbanner

4 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Would a 5.0 with White Pages sell for more or less than a 5.0 with OW pages, all else being equal? That's what I really wanna know! :shy:

What if the white page book has moderate marvel chipping, and the OW page book doesn't?  hm

41 minutes ago, comicdonna said:
46 minutes ago, drbanner said:

What if the white page book has moderate marvel chipping, and the OW page book doesn't?  hm

what if subby1938 or sc22 or whatever the last name he was going by comes back ? I won't be able to take the torment.

35 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

what if subby1938 or sc22 or whatever the last name he was going by comes back ? I won't be able to take the torment.

Interesting that individual's posts stopped as soon as Steve Ditko died.  ?  hm

Interesting that as soon as there are some recent GPA sales the experts come back out.  God forbid some AF #15's sell on dealer websites because as we know you can only buy from the GPA Store.

Short term/instant profit gratification continues to be the norm.  If I can't upgrade it/I won't buy it continues.  Most of my listings should come with a "Where should I mail the check to" since clearly if it is upgradeable I should give you that money.  

Anybody with half a brain should be able to figure out that by adding in upwards of an additional 10% sales tax on top of buyer fees will drive down many of the big ticket GPA results since those GPA reporting websites are required to collect sales tax. 

Auction houses continue to be the "market" since we all know that this is the MOST clear communicator of the market.  CHURN em and BURN them since we make money whether you do or not.

Edited by blazingbob

nothing at auction has approached the prices you've gotten Bob but it has generated a certain amount of envy near as I can see.  As long as people want to equate the sale "Ask" then that somehow converts to cash. The trouble with comics is that doesn't happen in a linear way that guarantees profit. I look at the comics you get in every day and the prices. Indeed they are higher than perceived street values, but then again, you keep selling them,  If I were to look at what I sold you based on your pricing , I'd think I was a sucker but I don't think that. You gave me a cash offer I found acceptable. At that point you have to go to work.  I get that. I'll keep putting my excess cash in VISA/MC.  I'll read those thors I wouldn't sell. 

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Interesting that as soon as there are some recent GPA sales the experts come back out.

Was this directed at me?

I haven't checked GPA on AF #15 recently (or your site). I was commenting on how this thread is wrong and why price corrections happen.

Just like they did back in 2010 when Comiclink broke the $200K mark with an AF #15 9.4 - it's a normal economic cycle that people have been griping about.

And yes, the taxes also changed everything.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Was this directed at me?

I haven't checked GPA on AF #15 recently (or your site). I was commenting on how this thread is wrong and why price corrections happen.

Just like they did back in 2010 when Comiclink broke the $200K mark with an AF #15 9.4 - it's a normal economic cycle that people have been griping about.

And yes, the taxes also changed everything.

Did I quote your post?  Or are you proclaiming to be one of the experts that I'm referring to?

Edited by blazingbob