• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

AF 15 CGC 8.0 sold for 192K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=855235

A LONG way from the record 261K another 8.0 sold for in 2017 on ComicLink

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1178499&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

I guess the PQ and the slightly bigger mis-wrap will be the excuse for the 69K difference. Or maybe the CVA sticker. :eyeroll:

Still an impressive price.

Edited by Gotham Kid

26 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1178499&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

I guess the PQ and the slightly bigger mis-wrap will be the excuse for the 69K difference. Or maybe the CVA sticker. :eyeroll:

Yes, an impressive price but I can almost assure you if a nicer 8.0 comes up it will hit closer to the 261k target, and may surpass it. I believe the tanning and miswrap impacted the hammer. 2c

5 hours ago, Hepcat said:
7 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I believe the tanning and miswrap impacted the hammer. 2c

Those factors seriously reduce that comic's eye appeal. 

:juggle:

Cause the ComicLink copy didn't have a misrap :makepoint: ( slightly less than the CC copy of course ) or slight tanning for that matter.

RAD2004A2017411_112432.jpg

But hey you guys are AF 15 8.0 holders so I get it.

Edited by Gotham Kid

All grades, esp the higher grades, are pretty much going to bring higher prices based on the eye appeal, noted flaws, PQ etc. It's like a diamond (type of cut, brilliant... , clarity V1..., etc). That's the point I'm making. :makepoint:

43 minutes ago, peewee22 said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

The $261K copy didn't have as bad of a miswrap as the CC copy and it didn't have nearly as much tanning as the CC copy

44 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Better eye appeal = more value; more important, it helps me sleep better at night. 

Isn't this kind of like all of the so-called "soft and fluffy stuff" that the technical CGC grade doesn't really care about and hence don't really take into account so much when it comes to the final grade?  hm

This kind of stuff is more in the territory of the CVA or QES sticker or whatever you call them.  (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Isn't this kind of like all of the so-called "soft and fluffy stuff" that the technical CGC grade doesn't really care about and hence don't really take into account so much when it comes to the final grade?  hm

This kind of stuff is more in the territory of the CVA or QES sticker or whatever you call them.  (thumbsu

I still say 192k for that type of book is a sweet price.

Well, although the AF 15 market might have cooled off a bit and in the consolidation phase right now, it looks like some of the heat is continuing to transfer over to the FF 1 market.  hm

Looks like the F+ copy of FF 1 moved up another $10K during the extended bidding time period, while the CGC 8.0 VF copy moved up by another $18K.  :applause:

:eyeroll:

It was a "decent price" considering the time of year, the fact that multiple 8.0's have come to market far more frequently than they have in years past, and the overall somewhat softer current market for the book.

The irrelevant and random "PQ" on the label had little to nothing to do with it (although the bad miswrap and noticeable tanning, something likely not expected at this high of a grade level, probably also had an affect on the price, but not to the absurd tune of $69k that same here are suggesting).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:eyeroll:

It was a "decent price" considering the time of year, the fact that multiple 8.0's have come to market far more frequently than they have in years past, and the overall somewhat softer current market for the book.

The irrelevant and random "PQ" on the label had little to nothing to do with it (although the bad miswrap and noticeable tanning, something likely not expected at this high of a grade level, probably also had an affect on the price, but not to the absurd tune of $69k that same here are suggesting).

-J.

I would totally pass on the "tannish-miswrapped" book were I lookng for an 8.0 and I think others would question it. So is that a 261k decrease? lol

I know this has been cussed and discussed x times but PQ does have an impact on the value otherwise why the heck would CGC even label it? J, do you really believe that White pages on a key will not trump the same grade in C/OW?

46 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I would totally pass on the "tannish-miswrapped" book were I lookng for an 8.0 and I think others would question it. So is that a 261k decrease? lol

I know this has been cussed and discussed x times but PQ does have an impact on the value otherwise why the heck would CGC even label it? J, do you really believe that White pages on a key will not trump the same grade in C/OW?

Not if it had unsightly marvel chipping or miswrap or something else going on.  And if it didn't have any of those things then it would in effect be a "perfect" book, and would likely sell for a bit more anyway. Also, as has also been discussed before, most people know NOT to put much or any stock in the "pq" on the label because they know how horribly and inconsistently graded it is.  

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Not if it had unsightly marvel chipping or miswrap or something else going on.  And if it didn't have any of those things then it would in effect be a "perfect" book, and would likely sell for a bit more anyway. Also, as has also been discussed before, most people know NOT to put much or any stock in the "pq" on the label because they know how horribly and inconsistently graded it is.  

-J.

See my Avatar? Graded with white pages. So CGC got one correct.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You have an exceptional copy all around pewee.

-J.

thanks but my avatar is a different book. I've been through several, only own 1.

just speaking for myself, pq is/has always been important. probably the first thing I look(ed) at even in the pre-CGC days. (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

thanks but my avatar is a different book. I've been through several, only own 1.

just speaking for myself, pq is/has always been important. probably the first thing I look(ed) at even in the pre-CGC days. (thumbsu

If you're talking about raw books that's a different story.  There you can actually TOUCH the pages and actually assess the "pq" first hand so to speak.  

In a slab you are subject to the whims of CGC graders and no guarantee that the alleged "pq" on the label is even still the state of the book within the slab if you were to crack it (another possible explanation for why they appear to be so inconsistent with that).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

If you're talking about raw books that's a different story.  There you can actually TOUCH the pages and actually assess the "pq" first hand so to speak.  

In a slab you are subject to the whims of CGC graders and no guarantee that the alleged "pq" on the label is even still the state of the book within the slab. 

-J.

That book was in a 7.5 slab with white pages. I busted it open to enjoy it a long time ago (do not own it any longer). The whole dang book was white. Point is CGC got this one bullseye. Not saying they get all of them correct.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Boy, Clink's scans are terrible.