• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

If a 6.5 sold for a 100 grand then it's a 100 grand book.

I think the point is that when one 6.5 sells for 100K can we expect that all other 6.5 copies are now worth 100K, and it is not unreasonable to say "perhaps not" when many other 6.5 copies have sold for far less and it's well known there are many other people who have 6.5 copies who would probably be selling them today if they could easily get 100K for them. 

11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I think the point is that when one 6.5 sells for 100K can we expect that all other 6.5 copies are now worth 100K, and it is not unreasonable to say "perhaps not" when many other 6.5 copies have sold for far less and it's well known there are many other people who have 6.5 copies who would probably be selling them today if they could easily get 100K for them. 

(thumbsu

10 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Ok, people have been reaching out to me about this sale. GPA is getting faulty data from eBay because the sale was for 85k & is legit. The buyer paid via Bank Wire right away & the comic was shipped via FedEx, so it arrived quickly & I have feedback for it. Anymore questions?

Thanks for responding! That solved the mystery. Congrats on a fine sale too!! I think it's a high for a 6.5 :applause:

Perhaps someone can inform George about it so the mistake can be corrected.

Edited by Dark Knight

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A 7.0 just sold for $90K in the recent c-link auction. So if this 6.5 did indeed sell for it's ask, I feel bad for that buyer!! I mean great copy and all, but a 6.5 is not a $100K book, not even close!!

The buyer was the 2nd highest bidder on the CLink auction & he reached out to me, notified me of the sale, asking if I would sell mine for 85k (it looks as nice as the 7.0 that sold) & I accepted. He knew exactly what he was buying & is very happy with it. Now I need to upgrade though.doh!

Edited by chezmtghut

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I wasn't aware you can conclude a purchase on ebay with a wire transfer. Good to know.

:shy:Was that Action 1 sale for 3.2 million on eBay back in 2014 paid via Paypal? If the buyer accepts those terms as part of the sale, there’s no issue. I ask for Bank Wire on all of my big keys. 

31 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Regardless, congrats on both AF sales. There's a 9.4 to be offered on Heritage. You spoke of upgrading :grin:

Anything less than 9.6 is unacceptable. Pretty sure I got a spare million or two lying around in the couch cushions.:baiting:

21 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Anything less than 9.6 is unacceptable. Pretty sure I got a spare million or two lying around in the couch cushions.:baiting:

You can certainly spare me some if you wish, especially during the holidays when it's a time of giving :baiting:

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

:shy:Was that Action 1 sale for 3.2 million on eBay back in 2014 paid via Paypal? If the buyer accepts those terms as part of the sale, there’s no issue. I ask for Bank Wire on all of my big keys. 

Darren Adams did not specifically define payment methods for the Action Comics #1 eBay auction. Although bidders were required to be prequalified and, apparently, render a deposit via Paypal or credit card in order to be allowed to bid, the exact terms of payment were not listed in the auction description. Instead the following statement was included: “Payment terms are on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the seller for more information.” (See link below for the eBay auction page)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item486c0b5949

3 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

The buyer was the 2nd highest bidder on the CLink auction & he reached out to me, notified me of the sale, asking if I would sell mine for 85k (it looks as nice as the 7.0 that sold) & I accepted. He knew exactly what he was buying & is very happy with it. Now I need to upgrade though.doh!

Yeah I mean you killed it at $85K!! My buddy let his 6.5 go earlier this year in a c-link auction (no chipping) solid copy. I believe it went for around or just shy of $60K if I recall hm. This is simply not the book to let go at auction it appears. Better in a buy it now/offer setting. Unless it's stupid high grade, 8.5 and above.

Edited by LDarkseid1

9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I mean you killed it at $85K!! My buddy let his 6.5 go earlier this year in a c-link auction (no chipping) solid copy. I believe it went for around or just shy of $60K if I recall hm. This is simply not the book to let go at auction it appears. Better in a buy it now/offer setting. Unless it's stupid high grade, 8.5 and above.

Very strong price.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:32 AM, Jaydogrules said:
On 12/17/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dark Knight said:

I believe if say a best offer price was reached instead of a buy it now, GPA would have reported the offer price, not the buy price. I could be wrong though.. 

That is incorrect.  GPA extracts from the API which reports SOLD price.  

Granted, there can always be glitches in the matrix, but that's how it works.  

-J.

Any bets that the GPA historical sales results are skewed or biased upwards as they are probably populated with quite a bit of these so-called "glitches"?  hm

Especially since an overwhelming proportion of auctions on eBay are now being done in the BIN "non-auction" format (i.e. list at an over the market price and wait forever hopefully for a sucker to eventually come along :wishluck:).  The only reason this one was flagged and caught was due to the high profile nature of this particular book and its apparent sales results.  If it was a much lower dollar value common book in the say 3-figure range, my thinking is that is would have gone right through into the GPA historicals without anybody at all being the wiser.  hm  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/17/2019 at 12:40 PM, chezmtghut said:
On 12/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, Gotham Kid said:

So you made more money on the 6.5 sale (85K via wire) than the 7.0 sale (90K minus CL 10%) ?

Tru dat

On 12/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Regardless, congrats on both AF sales.

+2

Yes indeed, definite congrats on your outstanding sales results here with your AF 15.  :applause:

Hopefully for the rest of the AF 15 marketplace, this will signal the start of a turnaround in the recent downward trend in prices for this once uber red hot book.  :wishluck:

For me it speaks to the risk of an auction.  It has been pointed out that Storms sells more AF15 than anyone and I think that's true and i also think Bob likes quality. He charges a fair fee for his service but it's not a shoot.  Auctions? You simply never have a clue but the auction house always makes coin. Bob needs a buyer. 

Edited by Glassman10

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any bets that the GPA historical sales results are skewed or biased upwards as they are probably populated with quite a bit of these so-called "glitches"?  hm

Especially since an overwhelming proportion of auctions on eBay are now being done in the BIN "non-auction" format (i.e. list at an over the matket price and wait forever hopefully for a sucker to eventually come along :wishluck:).  The only reason this one was flagged and caught was due to the high profile nature of this particular book and its apparent sales results.  If it was a much lower dollar value common book in the say 3-figure range, my thinking is that is would have gone right through into the GPA historicals without anybody at all being the wiser.  hm  hm

Or are most GPA sales light as it doesn't count shipping/taxes/duties/import fees :baiting:.  When people stop treating GPA like gospel it shows a lot more information than a sale.

Unrelated it seems like it's a data scrape issue with ebay as GoCollect also has the sale listed at 100k.  I remember a while back if the seller, sent it as an offer to the buyer the incorrect price was recorded on GPA/GC however if the Buyer offered to the seller the correct price was recorded.

image.thumb.png.323de7878b410b520c53d1e9db01327d.png