• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It appears that you are a bit confused about the timing of these 2 transactions here.  :gossip:

The 9.2 copy which sold for $598K on the CC auction platform took place in the summer of 2019.  According to the Heritage thread on the GA boards, the sale on the 9.4 copy for $705K took place back in 2017 or a couple of years prior to the CC 9.2 sale.  This would then make sense from a pricing point of view relative to the timeline of the sale.  (thumbsu

Not sure where the sale took place, but would assume that it would have been a dealer transaction as GPA also reports on transaction for some of the larger dealers.  hm

Ok I thought I saw someone say the 9.4 sale on GPA was last year, but a direct dealer sale I guess makes sense.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/5/2020 at 1:48 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

CGC 7.0 with cream to off-white pages and Paid stamp on cover sold for what I though it would go for $81 000.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7224-92113.s

Watch for this book to resurface in a new holder with OW-W pages and at least a 7.5.

Buyer got a smoking deal on this book.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Too many AF15.

I think it's pretty much common knowledge and a fact that there's a large supply of AF 15's within the hobby place, especially considering all of the raw copies sitting in pprivate collections that still haven't crossed a grading table yet.  hm

But it's also always relative since the general consensus and opinion of most boardies here is that demand for this book will also always be high, especially as Spidey is the iconic comic book character that everybody knows and this will always be the key SA Marvel book to go after since it features his first appearance.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

or maybe it is just another AF15 that didn't sell at crazy prices of 2 yrs ago.

Pretty copy

21880759%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Edited by Gotham Kid

Watching some current auctions, there does seem to be a  slow down. Tons of inventory between all of the current sites.  Seems like Some old collectors are selling. Just an opinion but i would say inventory levels and asking prices have reached a saturation point. For now anyways. No market can go straight up and there is a lot of other worldly concern right now, I definitely would not be selling my books into the recent climate.

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Shhhh.. you don't want Jaydog to storm in this thread :gossip:

10 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Don't know him?

Well, you will if he chimes in lol.  Basically his argument is that it doesn't matter what the page quality of the book is (except for brittle), there is really no premium price between say a white paged copy vs. cream-offwhite copy if you have the same kind of book side by side with the same kind of defects.

1 minute ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Of course paper quality matters especially in a more common book. All books are pretty common except the ones from the GA.

Well to him it doesn't.  There's been a lot of debate between one board member after another arguing about this and he will not change his thinking at all. He will stick to his thoughts and not side with the masses nor people who have been in this hobby for a long time as dealers, collectors, etc.

45 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Well, you will if he chimes in lol.  Basically his argument is that it doesn't matter what the page quality of the book is (except for brittle), there is really no premium price between say a white paged copy vs. cream-offwhite copy if you have the same kind of book side by side with the same kind of defects.

white pages :preach::grin:

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Well to him it doesn't.  There's been a lot of debate between one board member after another arguing about this and he will not change his thinking at all. He will stick to his thoughts and not side with the masses nor people who have been in this hobby for a long time as dealers, collectors, etc.

who knows with PQ ? (shrug)

how many times have we seen books given a certain pq only to see them re-subbed and receive another.

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I think it's pretty much common knowledge and a fact that there's a large supply of AF 15's within the hobby place, especially considering all of the raw copies sitting in pprivate collections that still haven't crossed a grading table yet.  hm

But it's also always relative since the general consensus and opinion of most boardies here is that demand for this book will also always be high, especially as Spidey is the iconic comic book character that everybody knows and this will always be the key SA Marvel book to go after since it features his first appearance.  :cloud9:

Yeah, i dig ya. It's the same with Rolex watches. They really are the Honda Civics of Swiss watches. No big deal except everyone wants one so they sell for big $$$$. Everyone has one and and it seems everyone wants one. Now a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (original diver from the 50s, not the current line of abominations) or a Patek Philippe, hell any Patek Philippe, now that's rare.

Edited by NoMan

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

who knows with PQ ? (shrug)

how many times have we seen books given a certain pq only to see them re-subbed and receive another.

I heard if you slip a $50 inside the front cover, the grader puts on sunglasses ;)

16 minutes ago, GAMBIT said:

PQ is not nearly as important as eye appeal.   As others have stated. PQ can (and does) change each time a book is graded or regraded. Very fickle.   however eye appeal is the seller IMO!

Give me a sharp looking CR/OW or OW book  anyday over an OW/W or White pg book with lesser eye appeal (or MC)

(thumbsu

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

or maybe it is just another AF15 that didn't sell at crazy prices of 2 yrs ago.

Pretty copy

21880759%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

That could almost pass for the copy Bob Storms sold of mine two years back with two exceptions. The upper right corner on mine had a small chip- a downside and the lower right on this has that odd white color break in it. Mine was clean.  Same grade. 

1 minute ago, Glassman10 said:

That could almost pass for the copy Bob Storms sold of mine two years back with two exceptions. The upper right corner on mine had a small chip- a downside and the lower right on this has that odd white color break in it. Mine was clean.  Same grade. 

There also appears to be some soiling on the cover.