• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And for all of us know nothing boardies here, I believe this is where we need to call in our resident PQ valuation expert @Jaydogrules to school us once again on the very complicated and confusing intricacies of PQ.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:   lol

Ahhhhh.................it would appear that our great sensei  (worship)  (worship)  has heard our call for help and has now decided to enlightened us with his blessed words of wisdom below:  lol

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
On 3/7/2020 at 6:37 PM, Dark Knight said:

Well, you will if he chimes in lol.  Basically his argument is that it doesn't matter what the page quality of the book is (except for brittle), there is really no premium price between say a white paged copy vs. cream-offwhite copy if you have the same kind of book side by side with the same kind of defects.

....Close.

My argument, that I have repeatedly made a case for by showing actual comps, is that, much like whatever "PQ" CGC decides to put on a label, the sales data is also so random and inconsistent that no reasonable conclusion can be drawn or proven either way.  It is all just anecdotal and guesswork and nobody can get inside the head of a buyer or know why he or she made a decision to pay "X" for a book.

So what does it all mean ?

It means nothing.  

-J.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, Glassman10 said:

I have really been given a golden ticket on both stocks. Even having waited until the horse was out of the barn and the barn was burning, I have experienced two stock splits on those things and been left with some 700% gains. Unlike you, I kept about half the Mastercard mainly because of the cap gains I would have to cough up- just as bad as selling an AF15!.  I sold all of the VISA. The IRA sales don't get taxed like that and I can't use any of those funds until next fall when I hit 71.5. Things looked so good  10 days back. 

I think the market will continue to fall. You can't see North America, South America or Europe really getting hammered yet but I do believe it's coming. The 1918-19 flu really only strated to rack up the fatalities until the second time it came around the globe. Calling it a hoax won't calm markets. 

Well, based upon what happened in the markets over the past few trading days, it looks like you most definitely made the right call here.  (thumbsu

No doubt sad for most equity investors, but at the same time, it also presents a nice buying opportunity if you have some excess cash to put back in once the market starts to settle down a bit.  hm  :wishluck:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, based upon what happened in the markets over the past few trading days, it looks like you most definitely made the right call here.  (thumbsu

No doubt sad for most equity investors, but at the same time, it also presents a nice buying opportunity if you have some excess cash to put back in once the market starts to settle down a bit.  hm  :wishluck:

you mean just good old average working people can actually now afford a house in Los Angeles?

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I think it's way premature to think about getting back in. Until the markets feel calmed by actual leadership, they will at the least go in slow decline with some whip sawing.  Pretty close to a bear market at this point. 

Just my opinion,  but I think we've reached a point where it will take a long time for the economy to recover. Even if the virus goes away with the spring, allot of events and businesses are closing. People not going to work and not going out and spending money. 

If this doesn't get sorted out soon,  you'll see it spill over into comics and collectibles.  I spend a fair amount of cash on comics.  But cash is the key word. I have savings goals for my family,  investment goals and so on. Comics come after those goals.

When investments get pummeled you don't panic,  but you do get tighter with your cash. Now spending $1500 on Avengers 4 is lower priority than having $1500 available incase poop hits the fan. 

29 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

and we have a bear market... the actual leadership is still AWOL. 

Unfortunately, this is just the beginning. 

In Italy, they've closed bars, restaurants and most shops, except for supermarkets and pharmacies.  Besides personally losing a fortune over the past few weeks, my company's stock is at a 52-week low, and heading lower by the day.  In fact, all companies will significantly miss earnings for the foreseeable future, and those lucky enough to get a bonus, can expect a crappy one at best.  The cruise industry, airlines, hospitality industry -- many of the big players will be going out of business.  Not to mention tax season is right around the corner for those that don't withhold.  As recommended by the great Mohamed El-Erian, individual investors should "resist our inclination to buy the dip".

On the comic front, dealers can't move inventory, because they've cancelled most cons, and customers aren't risking their health to visit their local comic book shops (or to even physically go to work anymore, for that matter).    

Every time there's a dead-cat bounce in the market, the next day it falls twice as much.  Stay on the sidelines, kids.  Don't catch a falling knife....      

1 hour ago, FattyDaddyComics said:

Unfortunately, this is just the beginning. 

In Italy, they've closed bars, restaurants and most shops, except for supermarkets and pharmacies.  Besides personally losing a fortune over the past few weeks, my company's stock is at a 52-week low, and heading lower by the day.  In fact, all companies will significantly miss earnings for the foreseeable future, and those lucky enough to get a bonus, can expect a crappy one at best.  The cruise industry, airlines, hospitality industry -- many of the big players will be going out of business.  Not to mention tax season is right around the corner for those that don't withhold.  As recommended by the great Mohamed El-Erian, individual investors should "resist our inclination to buy the dip".

On the comic front, dealers can't move inventory, because they've cancelled most cons, and customers aren't risking their health to visit their local comic book shops (or to even physically go to work anymore, for that matter).    

Every time there's a dead-cat bounce in the market, the next day it falls twice as much.  Stay on the sidelines, kids.  Don't catch a falling knife....      

I'm telling you the Pokemon/magic-the-gathering card table playing business in Little Tokyo by my fav Shabu-Shabu joint is a seething cauldron of funk. Covid-19 would die if it got inside that place. I'm telling you cons and some comic shops are the safest places to be now.

3 hours ago, FattyDaddyComics said:

and customers aren't risking their health to visit their local comic book shops (or to even physically go to work anymore, for that matter).    

This is worth discussing as it's a common misconception about CV-19 that people are worried about getting the virus.

Sure everyone is worried, but chances are that most people WILL encounter the virus just like most people will encounter other viruses like the flu.

The majority of the risk is not to everyone's health. The majority of the risk is to those who have other, previous underlying health problems and the elderly.

Most people will ride it out and recover, but the weak and infirm who won't fight it off easily are at greater risk.

And the majority of the risk is that the medical industry gets so overwhelmed that it won't be able to treat everyone and so will have to divert efforts to younger patients who have a better chance of recovery and withhold medical care to those that may have a smaller chance of recovery.

So what the battle plan is really, is to slow down the spread of the virus as much as possible over as long a period of time as possible so that the medical industry can tackle patients. 

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

This is worth discussing as it's a common misconception about CV-19 that people are worried about getting the virus.

Sure everyone is worried, but chances are that most people WILL encounter the virus just like most people will encounter other viruses like the flu.

The majority of the risk is not to everyone's health. The majority of the risk is to those who have other, previous underlying health problems and the elderly.

Most people will ride it out and recover, but the weak and infirm who won't fight it off easily are at greater risk.

And the majority of the risk is that the medical industry gets so overwhelmed that it won't be able to treat everyone and so will have to divert efforts to younger patients who have a better chance of recovery and withhold medical care to those that may have a smaller chance of recovery.

So what the battle plan is really, is to slow down the spread of the virus as much as possible over as long a period of time as possible so that the medical industry can tackle patients. 

I would think it would be the opposite. Help those who have a higher risk of mortality and let the younger ones ride it out. 90% of youth will probably fight it off naturally.

Any cases in Canada yet?

Edited by peewee22

5 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I would think it would be the opposite. Help those who have a higher risk of mortality and let the younger ones ride it out. 90% of youth will probably fight it off naturally.

Any cases in Canada yet?

Nope.  Roy is right.  Italy is telling hospitals to ignore the elderly.  In a catastrophic situation you triage those who are most likely to have the greatest benefit. 

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Roy is right.

I'm going to bronze these words and hang them around my neck like an 80's Hip Hop star the next time I see you.

roy's got some damn fine Dark Knight Return #1 9.8s. That would be too much for neckless (along with the "Roy was Right" neckless) so I suggest getting a grill like the rappers, fake gold teeth,  and it could say he has the best DKRs

16 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I hope I get the virus so I can get immune to it and move on with life. And that is not a joke. Sick for a little while big deal then free and can just move around without any care.

Did China not take like 2 months before letting the world know. A lot of people have already had it and thought they just had a mild flu.

Edited by Glassman10
duplicate post

15 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I hope I get the virus so I can get immune to it and move on with life. And that is not a joke. Sick for a little while big deal then free and can just move around without any care.

Did China not take like 2 months before letting the world know. A lot of people have already had it and thought they just had a mild flu.

Be careful what you wish for. The current definition of a "mIld case is one not actually requiring oxygen. 

The chinese actually had a remarkable methodology for breaking the outbreak down. It's worth looking at. 

i gotta go fight people for toilet paper today. The Redhead is making me. I'm gonna bring my slabbed xmen collection 94-143 and a no-date submariner (old style - no maxi case) to trade for toilet paper if it comes to that. It's sad day for the hobby.