• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, I am not Glenda said:

I  don't get it? Who cares what it's worth? I mean I have 2 AF15 3.0 ( I have about 30k in trade/cash into both of them, both good deals at the time ) & one 7.5 that I bought in 1988 for $1500 by picking blueberries all summer. I cherish all 3 of them, they are the first appearance of my favorite SA hero,  the cover is arguably the most iconic cover of any era drawn by a king, the interior art features my favorite artist at the height of his artistic peak imho. Oh yea it was written by a legend. All these year later I still get chills looking at any copy of this book. So if you own a copy stop stressing what it's worth today, yesterday or next week  just say I am in the club" I own an AF 15"   f#ck life is good, be safe fellow club members :)

100%

On 3/26/2020 at 12:11 AM, Kalel38 said:

No other character more popular then Spider-Man or Batman.. Superman I love but in today's world he doesn't fly.. 

Action #1 is iconic as THE book, not necessarily a book that only a Superman fan must have but a book that any comic book collector would give a body part to own.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, I am not Glenda said:

I  don't get it? Who cares what it's worth? I mean I have 2 AF15 3.0 ( I have about 30k in trade/cash into both of them, both good deals at the time ) & one 7.5 that I bought in 1988 for $1500 by picking blueberries all summer. I cherish all 3 of them, they are the first appearance of my favorite SA hero,  the cover is arguably the most iconic cover of any era drawn by a king, the interior art features my favorite artist at the height of his artistic peak imho. Oh yea it was written by a legend. All these year later I still get chills looking at any copy of this book. So if you own a copy stop stressing what it's worth today, yesterday or next week  just say I am in the club" I own an AF 15"   f#ck life is good, be safe fellow club members :)

I also still get chills when I look at a AF 15 in person.  Only bummer for me is how many of them are out there. You yourself have “3”. Ive owned a handful over the years ( kept upgrading ) 

17 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I actually purchased She-Hulk 1 decades ago. Was happy to get it last one they had in stock. Was popular for a little while. I am sure I over paid did not care think it was $10.

I bought it off the newsstands for 40 cents I think. I was so happy to have a # 1 first appearance. Still have it. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:13 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Next for me in GA is Captain America Comics 1 and Batman 1 and in SA Hulk 1 and SC4. As far as teams go X-Men is it for me. SC22 is pretty cool as well. No disrespect to FF1 just not my series it is Iconic without question. Would I like to own FF1 sure would maybe will be my goal for 2020.

I have a entry level Cap 1 for sale in the sales thread.  Hit me up when / if your in the market for that particular grade etc 

Edited by Chicago Boy

Just now, Batmanis#1 said:

Ungraded TEC 38 1st Robin purchased from a long time friend. He got it in the early 1960's from a fellow comic book collector. My guess will grade 4.0 maybe. He has a bunch more TEC books I need but wanted to seal the deal on this one first.

The 3rd most Important Bat book IMO.  Outstanding pick up !  Happy to talk GA Bats via PM if you desire so as not to detail the thread 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Iconic beyond any doubt just if I had to pay for it versus TEC27 there is no doubt there TEC27 wins.

It's a tough call. As a hobbyist, I like batman more than superman. But even as as kid. Action 1 was the iconic collectible comic.

I'm not sure which I would rather own, but luckily for me,  it's not a decision I'll ever have to make. 

As for SA, JIM83 and Hulk 1 were always my favorite covers. I've been fortunate enough to get both of them (although I'd like to upgrade my JIM83).  I prioritized those over AF15, but I do hope to get an AF15 one day. It is the staple of SA collecting. 

I need to step back from big purchases for a little bit,  but FF1 is likely the next significant book for me. 

11 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:
12 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

What key Tec book did you get btw ?

Ungraded TEC 38 1st Robin purchased from a long time friend. He got it in the early 1960's from a fellow comic book collector. My guess will grade 4.0 to 5.0 maybe. He has a bunch more TEC books I need but wanted to seal the deal on this one first. I know for sure it has not been restored. As far as paper quality cream maybe cream to off-white.

pics ? post in Gold please.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I would but do not own a camera, ipad, iphone or any of that stuff just a regular telephone. I know that is pathetic but that is the way I live. I am a older guy never got caught up in the hype of these things. Maybe a friend has one of these I will see what I can come up with. No promises they are all old as well.

you don't own a camera, ipad or iphone, , because "you never got caught up in the hype?" (not even a camera??)

but you have a computer? and thousand's of dollars in TEC keys?

lol I don't know,  Seems  pretty odd to me (shrug)

18 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I agree but it's the truth. I need a computer since I can buy online and not have to go into stores. And crowds are not my thing. They once where but that has long passed. Especially comics where I live I could find maybe 1 book a year even then nor sure. I have a computer for my hobbies. A camera guess if I had family it would be of use but never had a wife or children. I also get the news and weather on the internet. I own a TV no cable just for watching dvd movies. Old westerns mostly and when a new superhero movie comes out I just buy the dvd online. The internet is also good for old time music on youtube. I can also catch all the radio stations for listening to hockey games. All auction houses are online as well.

I never cared to look at pictures. Some people are obsessed with photo albums well not me.

I live in a remote location way out of town. Use to live in town but needed the peace of nature and have close friends who live where I live now. I did my 30+ years of service/work and simply had enough.

And if I chose to sell something to replace (I usually do not sell comics unless it is to upgrade) it having the internet is the easiest way for me. So many buyers and I can go into my post office and simply ship it out. No hassle just the way I like it.

Well said! You be you! Technology is a virus. No good will come from it.

34 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Nice :headbang:

Too bad about those sun shadows on the back.  That's a purdy copy.

18 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Did not one sell for $260 000 a few years back in 8.0? If so this is pathetic. Or simply a really bad time to be selling.

That could very well be, I don't keep a record of non-GPA prices (I should).  

I see an 8.5 sold for 155,350 in 2017, and a Stan Lee signed 8.0 sold for $222,000 in 2018, and a 7.5 sold for $120,000 6 months ago.