• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jeffreyk said:

Thank you!  So the book sold for $42k and not the listed price of $44,500?

Correct, you can match the certification number on GPA for the sale price to the pics in the ebay listing.  Best offer was accepted.  I've done deals with the ebay seller through IG, and I'm pretty sure it's a legit sale.

Edited by DST

40 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am saving for one, AF15 2.0 went for $18K last night on HA. I bid up to gpa and then watched it keep going.

That makes me sad lol. 

I did pick up a .5 recently, but was really hoping to snag a complete one before to long. If we start to see 2.0s crossing that $20k threshold, I'll kind of give up. 

Truthfully, my attitude towards big keys has changed as prices have continued to sky rocket. I'm not upset about it, I'm just suddenly content with what I have and not feeling the constant pressure to chase the next big book. 

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That makes me sad lol. 

I did pick up a .5 recently, but was really hoping to snag a complete one before to long. If we start to see 2.0s crossing that $20k threshold, I'll kind of give up. 

Truthfully, my attitude towards big keys has changed as prices have continued to sky rocket. I'm not upset about it, I'm just suddenly content with what I have and not feeling the constant pressure to chase the next big book. 

It certainly is bittersweet.  On the one hand, it's a nice problem for all the keys you already own, but obviously very disappointing for the ones you haven't acquired yet.

Very curious ... What would you say mine is worth now? I hope I made out well...

The qualified strip is for the missing page 13 (non spidey). I actually have the missing page 13 just too scared to send to cgc for marry. Maybe in person in florida someday. 

20210315_190304.jpg

On 3/9/2021 at 12:02 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

the entire premise of this thread was flawed. wish you had not resurrected it.

af15 has been the book of the silver age to have, bar none. it spiked several years ago, and then lay dormant for a few years. though most copies at auction have chipping or other unsightly defects, skewing results a bit badly, whenever a great looking copy for the grade came up, it always did fine. 

other books have played catch up, and some have gotten much closer in value. af15 is perhaps overdue to jump again.  but if it does not, it's certainly not "dropping in value." ridiculous. 

There's absolutely nothing flawed about my initial post. Prices had been going down in most grades for what I believe is the longest amount of time since the inception of the GPA. The numbers during that period are a fact and there for all to see. Why deny the data? I then wondered if the book had plateaued after many years of astronomical growth, so I asked people to comment. An insightful discussion was had. Thanks to all who contributed!

The book is back on its rightful ascension as the King of the Silver Age, because there's no way this book can continue to drop or stagnate given the prices obtained for UF 4 or even X-FORCE #1 recently.

All hail AF15!!!

12 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

There's absolutely nothing flawed about my initial post. Prices had been going down in most grades for what I believe is the longest amount of time since the inception of the GPA. The numbers during that period are a fact and there for all to see. Why deny the data? I then wondered if the book had plateaued after many years of astronomical growth, so I asked people to comment. An insightful discussion was had. Thanks to all who contributed!

The book is back on its rightful ascension as the King of the Silver Age, because there's no way this book can continue to drop or stagnate given the prices obtained for UF 4 or even X-FORCE #1 recently.

All hail AF15!!!

I never saw a problem with the post. 

This book went from expensive, to really expensive to near unobtainable between like 2010 and 2017.

Then it stagnated. And no one was surprised it took a break, what was surprising was the growth of other big keys while "the king" was sleeping.  I don't know if it declined so much as for five or so years it didn't move much. 

A year later, with in an unprecedented market, it seems to be returning to form.

So the initial post wasn't flawed in my opinion. But I hope everyone got their copy when they could because it's cleared for take off. 

(I don't have GPA so my date range and estimates are based only on my personal observations from watching this book).  

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

All hail AF15!!!

your thread title implies that the book was 'continuing to drop,' when in fact it simply had an oversized spike there in 2017, and outside of that, was doing just fine. not sure what gpa data you're looking at, but in 4.5, the grade AF15 that i own, gpa shows the low price increasing every single year, as seen in the attached screen shot. true, the high price took a dip between 2018-2020, and then resumed it's all time high this year.  of course this is only one grade. and data is open to interpretation. but the book was never plummeting as your title implies. it should have been called "why has AF15 not continued to increase in value by enormous amounts each year like happened last year?"

B9CAC27E-EFCA-4575-A6D6-940D5D087D6C.jpeg

Edited by www.alexgross.com

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

your thread title implies that the book was 'continuing to drop,' when in fact it simply had an oversized spike there in 2017, and outside of that, was doing just fine. not sure what gpa data you're looking at, but in 4.5, the grade AF15 that i own, gpa shows the low price increasing every single year, as seen in the attached screen shot. true, the high price took a dip around 2017, and then resumed it's all time high 3 years later.  data is open to interpretation. but the book was never plummeting as your title implies. it should have been called "why has AF15 not continued to increase in value by enormous amounts each year like happened last year?"

Excellent point and the very year this thread was started it was coming off the (based on gpa data) highest sample size in 4 years with 9 copies exchanging. So as it spiked to the high of 2017 , a rush of copies came to market, especially copies without support of the technical grade on the slab since that was the best time to upgrade. 2020's gap was tighter but 2018 and 2019 had impressive sales gaps. I wished all my stocks looked like that from then... 

Edited by PKJ

"I only joined this forum today but while scrolling through the threads one is about the drop in price of AF 15?

I also noticed some prices for AF15 which seemed reasanoble in a speculative market.

I am not looking for an argument with anyone I just want to know if you think it is a favourable time to buy an AF15 as when it comes to comics I am more investor than collector."

from a newbie in the silver age books that are heating up.

even more reason to dislike the title of this thread. in case newbie reads this, which seems unlikely, the thread is wrong! and old!

On 3/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

your thread title implies that the book was 'continuing to drop,' when in fact it simply had an oversized spike there in 2017, and outside of that, was doing just fine. not sure what gpa data you're looking at, but in 4.5, the grade AF15 that i own, gpa shows the low price increasing every single year, as seen in the attached screen shot. true, the high price took a dip between 2018-2020, and then resumed it's all time high this year.  of course this is only one grade. and data is open to interpretation. but the book was never plummeting as your title implies. it should have been called "why has AF15 not continued to increase in value by enormous amounts each year like happened last year?"

Quick response. It was trending downwards in most grades. The picture above only tells part of the story. Look at the line graphs and you'll see a downwards trend in many grades during 2018-2019, and a flattening at best for many others. And that after many years of constant rising.

It's all moot now since the King is back!