• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

So do we get to wait until February now to say the sky is falling, (or that there is a new record)? First glance says this might be the most pressed 9.4 there is, but hey  - buy the label.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7224-35009.s?

If it sets a new record, it'll be definitive proof that value is continuing to rise. If it doesn't, it'll be definitive proof that only the miswrap kept if from reaching its full potential. 

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm sure jaydog has something to say about that :baiting: lol

hm

I'm really wondering how many times that (the alleged "pq" on a label) has to be shown to be a non-to-negligible factor in prices before people believe it.  lol

People just can't seem to be able to see beyond their own confirmation bias.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

17 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

So do we get to wait until February now to say the sky is falling, (or that there is a new record)? First glance says this might be the most pressed 9.4 there is, but hey  - buy the label.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7224-35009.s?

How do you tell how 'pressed' a book is from a 2 dimensional scan?

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm

I'm really wondering how many times that (the alleged "pq" on a label) has to be shown to be a non-to-negligible factor in prices before people believe it.  lol

People just can't seem to be able to see beyond their own confirmation bias.

-J.

If you use intellectual honesty, it's easy.

If all other things are considered equal, page quality does affect final sales prices and nicer PQ sells for more than lesser PQ. Not EVERY time, but most of the time.

Just like if all other things being equal (for example PQ) then the nicer looking book will sell for more. Not EVERY time, but most of the time.

But if you're going to cherry pick an exceptional looking 6.5 that sells for a record price (and the book looks like it could just as easily be sitting in a 7.0 holder) then who has the confirmation bias?

If this is an actual sale, are all things considered equal? No. This book is exceptional for the grade, and as we've seen exceptional books sell for above average prices.

This was a BIN on eBay, it can also just as easily be a mistake or some unscrupulous person trying to manipulate GPA - and I'm not accusing the seller, who is a known boardie,

I'm saying someone else looking to sell a 6.5 elsewhere (not this seller) could hit a random BIN just to make their own offering look good on the open market until someone notifies GPA that it was not a real sale.

So far, this sale is just an outlier at best, especially since recent 7.0 and 7.5 sales were in a similar range.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you use intellectual honesty, it's easy.

If all other things are considered equal, page quality does affect final sales prices and nicer PQ sells for more than lesser PQ. Not EVERY time, but most of the time.

Just like if all other things being equal (for example PQ) then the nicer looking book will sell for more. Not EVERY time, but most of the time.

But if you're going to cherry pick an exceptional looking 6.5 that sells for a record price (and the book looks like it could just as easily be sitting in a 7.0 holder) then who has the confirmation bias?

If this is an actual sale, are all things considered equal? No. This book is exceptional for the grade, and as we've seen exceptional books sell for above average prices.

This was a BIN on eBay, it can also just as easily be a mistake or some unscrupulous person trying to manipulate GPA - and I'm not accusing the seller, who is a known boardie,

I'm saying someone else looking to sell a 6.5 elsewhere (not this seller) could hit a random BIN just to make their own offering look good on the open market until someone notifies GPA that it was not a real sale.

So far, this sale is just an outlier at best, especially since recent 7.0 and 7.5 sales were in a similar range.

Translation-  "It only matters, except when it doesn't."

Glad to see we finally agree.  ;)

-J.

40 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Translation-  "It only matters, except when it doesn't."

Glad to see we finally agree.  

If you were being intellectually honest, you'd see that that's not what I said.

What I said was that if you want to remove confirmation bias and be honest about whether PQ affects price you need to make all other variables equal.

And it does most of the time.

The entire structure of fair market value in the hobby is based on paying more for better. It's been this way for nearly 80 years. To say otherwise is just disingenuous. It's just common sense.

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A 7.0 just sold for $90K in the recent c-link auction. So if this 6.5 did indeed sell for it's ask, I feel bad for that buyer!! I mean great copy and all, but a 6.5 is not a $100K book, not even close!!

If a 6.5 sold for a 100 grand then it's a 100 grand book.

Edited by peewee22

8 minutes ago, peewee22 said:
11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A 7.0 just sold for $90K in the recent c-link auction. So if this 6.5 did indeed sell for it's ask, I feel bad for that buyer!! I mean great copy and all, but a 6.5 is not a $100K book, not even close!!

But it did not. And it is not. As much as you want it to be. Sorry.

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Hopefully the board member who sold the 6.5 book on ebay can shed some light about it.

and if there is an agenda ? proof (just like pics) or it didn' t happen.

I don't mind being proven wrong but as someone else just pointed out, a CVA 7.0 OW sold for 90K on Comiclink.

Comiclink more reputable than ebay last time I checked.

Edited by Gotham Kid

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't mind being proven wrong but as someone else just pointed out, a CVA 7.0 OW sold for 90K on Comiclink.

Ebay is a much larger "room" than C-link.  And If the Ebay sale isn't real or completed, it will be sussed out soon enough.  

-J.

39 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

35 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

But it did not. And it is not. As much as you want it to be. Sorry.

Are you alluding to the fact that the $99,999.99 apparent price has been crossed out and replaced by "Best Offer Price was Accepted" tagline when you dig a bit deeper into the eBay Feedback portion of this particular listing?  hm

Not sure how GPA works in these situations in terms of them simply going with the original BIN price, even though a much lower final offer price might have been accepted? (shrug)  ??? 

Hopefully,this can't be right because it would basically put any BIN sales data into question in terms of GPA tracking. :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you alluding to the fact that the $99,999.99 apparent price has been crossed out and replaced by "Best Offer Price was Accepted" tagline when you dig a bit deeper into the eBay Feedback portion of this particular listing?  hm

Not sure how GPA works in these situations in terms of them simply going with the original BIN price, even though a much lower final offer price might have been accepted? (shrug)  ??? 

Hopefully,this can't be right because it would basically put any BIN sales data into question in terms of GPA tracking. :wishluck:

GPA extracts directly from ebay's API.

-J.

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe if say a best offer price was reached instead of a buy it now, GPA would have reported the offer price, not the buy price. I could be wrong though.. 

That is incorrect.  GPA extracts from the API which reports SOLD price.  

Granted, there can always be glitches in the matrix, but that's how it works.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I agree that CL and any of the major comic auction houses are more reputable than ebay, but it doesnt necessarily mean Ebay does not have real record prices of sales of their own too.

One can say that Ebay has more shill bidding and artificially inflated sale prices than any other venue, but we've also seen this from some, if not every major auction house too. 

Until we have factual evidence on whether or not this sale is real, we cannot make assumptions and conclude that this sale was a fluke.