• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Gruson said:

I own a 3.0 that looks really nice IMO. Never pressed, Very vibrant colors and no chipping. Thrilled with it actually. 
I sent to CGC and had it graded as is. I bought it from original owner. Curious what you guys think. 

E74A02DE-699B-4DFB-A972-8061E3277A6C.jpeg

Great looking 3.0.  

23 hours ago, Gruson said:

I own a 3.0 that looks really nice IMO. Never pressed, Very vibrant colors and no chipping. Thrilled with it actually. 
I sent to CGC and had it graded as is. I bought it from original owner. Curious what you guys think. 

I think you are one lucky member of the AF#15 Club !! I think the grade by CGC is spot on (from just looking at the cover and PQ), and you should have no problem having this valued at the top end of the going rate for a 3.0

On 5/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 5/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Is it just me as I am on CL's Home Page and I see nothing at all with a link that says Recent Auction Results?  ???

Yeah it’s not directly on the home page. I’m not saying that wouldn’t be more convenient, but just the way they do it. You have to click the tab that says “Auctions”, then click “Auction Schedule - Consign now!”. That takes you to the screenshot I showed with all the past years of results.

Looks like this link here points out the exact reason why CL auction results are not included as part of the GPA stats.  :(

It's not so much a link to their overall auction results, but a link to only certain select auction results which CL wants you to see in order to try to entice you to consign with them.  :gossip:

On 5/11/2020 at 1:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like this link here points out the exact reason why CL auction results are not included as part of the GPA stats.  :(

It's not so much a link to their overall auction results, but a link to only certain select auction results which CL wants you to see in order to try to entice you to consign with them.  :gossip:

I have always had a great experience with CLink and with Josh

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

I have always had a great experience with CLink and with Josh

No doubt, just saying that their abbreviated version of their auction archives is really there as a promo feature for obtaining future consignments.  (thumbsu

I actually don't have a problem with that at all, and hope consignors don't get the mistaken impression that these results are the norm and what they should be expecting to get for all of their consigned books.  hm

Lou, This reminds me of Prairie Home Companion where all the children were above average. 

If you issue the slightest question about the integrity of any given vendor, expect a deluge of denial regarding the observation. 

Ain't it great that here's a counter thread about why AF 15 is always going up in value.?  Mine's long gone. I haven't seen any real increase since 2017 in the summer. It doesn't really drop much either. There are a lot of copies of the comic for considering the value. 

On 5/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, lou_fine said:

No doubt, just saying that their abbreviated version of their auction archives is really there as a promo feature for obtaining future consignments.  (thumbsu

I actually don't have a problem with that at all, and hope consignors don't get the mistaken impression that these results are the norm and what they should be expecting to get for all of their consigned books.  hm

:foryou:

On 5/8/2020 at 12:25 PM, Gruson said:

I sold my 3.0 and yours looks much better.  Great book, sell it to me!

On 5/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, lou_fine said:
On 5/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 5/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Ok, fellas.........let's just quit :slapfight:  :slapfight: and place your bets as to whether the 8.0 copy in this current CC auction is going to pass the Heritage juiced in price of $180K or not?  hm  :taptaptap:

I say it won't

Just took a much closer look at the scans for both of these books and I think you are most probably correct in your assessment here.  (thumbsu

It would appear that the CC copy was graded back in 2013 and appears to be slightly more loosely graded as compared to the HA copy graded this current year.  hm  (shrug)

Hey Peter;

Looks like we were both correct in our assessment here, but just by a the skin of our teeth as it came in at the $177K price point or just a few grand short of Heritage's $180K price point acheived at the end of last month.  (thumbsu

the entire premise of this thread was flawed. wish you had not resurrected it.

af15 has been the book of the silver age to have, bar none. it spiked several years ago, and then lay dormant for a few years. though most copies at auction have chipping or other unsightly defects, skewing results a bit badly, whenever a great looking copy for the grade came up, it always did fine. 

other books have played catch up, and some have gotten much closer in value. af15 is perhaps overdue to jump again.  but if it does not, it's certainly not "dropping in value." ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

af15 has been the book of the silver age to have, bar none. it spiked several years ago, and then lay dormant for a few years. though most copies at auction have chipping or other unsightly defects, skewing results a bit badly, whenever a great looking copy for the grade came up, it always did fine. 

other books have played catch up, and some have gotten much closer in value. af15 is perhaps overdue to jump again.  but if it does not, it's certainly not "dropping in value." ridiculous. 

I agree with you.  The thread always bothered me actually.  I have the book and love it.

7 hours ago, atomised said:
8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I agree with you.  The thread always bothered me actually.  I have the book and love it.

I agree with you, too.  This thread is so outdated and folks posting to it is keeping it on the radar of active threads.  Hopefully folks just go back to the AF15 club thread or start a new one to talk about these kinds of things.  Or maybe the thread author could just revise the title to "So how is AF doing lately," or something like that.  

As many have said, buy the book and not the grade.  AF 15 copies with nice presenting cover images and paper quality have continued to sell extremely well.  Books with marvel chipping and certain flaws (tape, writing, fading) will almost always sell for less.  

Nah, unlike what many have said, buy the book AND the grade.  Focusing on cover translates into buying the cover and not the book.  Innards, structural integrity, and overall wear matter, too.  Books weren't always in slabs, you know.  And folks should not assume books will remain in a slab forever, or that tne next owner will keep them there.  For many non-slab-centric folks, an AF15 is not just a shelf trophy.  Presumably, the book received the grade for a reason.  Nice-looking books with some MC or minimally distracting issues go for above GPA, too, so let's not misinform people.  I generally go with the highest grade I can afford, so long as the book looks nice enough, to avoid hidden issues.  AF15 is not just a book to get, but often a holy grail.for many folks.  That means there is also some satisfaction to be had in owning an AF15 in the hightest technical grade one can manage, out of respect for the book's overall condition. 

All I'm saying is that it is understanble why books with minimal or even moderate MC continue to go for more than GPA.  Not only do they present well enough, but MC is printing-related and existed fresh off the printer, so it is not wear or damage post-manufacture, like the other less-visible factors (such as loose or rusty staples, writing or creases or tears to interior, detached wrap, water damage, etc.) that do lower a book's technical grade.  And MC was largely unique to early Marvels.  Seen in this light, It is almost like a variant!  Having at least a few books with MC, along with 35-cent, Canadian, UK, and newsstand variants, could actually help someone appreciate the unique quirks in Marvel's long history.  

Now, with lower-grade books, it could be a different story, and the strategy of (hyper-)focusing on the cover could be wise, at least financially.  Even then, some folks prefer a better preserved, intact book to a great-looking slab with a detached cover, for example, but it depends.  Different strokes for different folks.  And that's okay.  

Edited by Pantodude

3 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

I noticed that there was a sale of an AF15 in GPA on March 10 in CGC 4.5 for 42,000.  Does anyone have a link to this sale?  I am curious to see what this book looks like.

These are the 2021 sales in CGC 4.5:

Mar-10 $42000 1157551001  
Feb-26 $38250 2013638001  
Jan-23 $32500 1295114001  
Jan-17 $38400 128657300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-4-5-ORIGIN-amp-1ST-APPERANCE-OF-SPIDER-MAN-PETER-PARKER-/114706436807?hash=item1ab50952c7%3Ag%3AkkkAAOSwFT9fgiin&nma=true&si=qqwKPPDRRo2dBXc7Z09EloCXJh0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557