• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel 1968 number ones?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Sorry to ask a silly question, but is there a list of the new series marvel started in 1968? I know there’s Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Submariner, and Nick Fury. Are there others? Believe it or not I googled and couldn’t find a list of them. 🤔

As a side question, Iron Man and Silver Surfer are pricey but the others are more affordable. Were there a lot of them printed? Are there any other silver age marvels left that can be found on a budget?

Not a silly question at all.  I've always considered this group of books to be really special, and I imagine a lot of other collectors do too, as there's a CGC registry set for them.

According to the registry set, the full list of "#1s" (which includes the reboots of Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, and Tales to Astonish) is as follows:

• Captain America 100
  • Captain Marvel 1
  • Captain Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders 1
  • Doctor Strange 169
  • Incredible Hulk 102
  • Iron Man 1
  • Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1
  • Mighty Marvel Western 1
  • Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1
  • Silver Surfer 1
  • Spectacular Spider-Man 1
  • Sub-Mariner 1

I wasn't even aware of the Captain Savage and Mighty Marvel Western titles until I saw the registry set -- I decided to buy one of each because I'm a completist, but they really have very little to do with the rest of these books.  Spectacular Spider-Man is another odd entry on the list, as it's not a comic book but a magazine (the first of two issues).  This should not be confused with the Spectacular Spider-Man title that kicked off in 1976.

Also, although it's from 1966 not 1968, I sometimes consider Thor 126 to be an honorary member of this group, as it marked the end of the Journey Into Mystery title (albeit two years before these other books came out).

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I thought about this as well, and I wonder if you'd include Tales Of Asgard #1 in this group.

I never thought about it but I just had my first copy go through my hands and realized that it was also a 1968 one shot.

Would never have considered it before this thread was started.

Not sure I'd personally include the 1966 Spectacular Spider-man magazine. 1968 was the year everything changed. 1966 seems like a stretch. 

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I thought about this as well, and I wonder if you'd include Tales Of Asgard #1 in this group.

I never thought about it but I just had my first copy go through my hands and realized that it was also a 1968 one shot.

Would never have considered it before this thread was started.

Not sure I'd personally include the 1966 Spectacular Spider-man magazine. 1968 was the year everything changed. 1966 seems like a stretch. 

Also add Groovy #1, March 1968

1.thumb.jpg.f7e9cf8b57fe5080608a56f8e9618478.jpg

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Also add Groovy #1, March 1968

it's in there

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Not a silly question at all.  I've always considered this group of books to be really special, and I imagine a lot of other collectors do too, as there's a CGC registry set for them.

According to the registry set, the full list of "#1s" (which includes the reboots of Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, and Tales to Astonish) is as follows:

• Captain America 100
  • Captain Marvel 1
  • Captain Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders 1
  • Doctor Strange 169
  • Incredible Hulk 102
  • Iron Man 1
  • Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1
  • Mighty Marvel Western 1
  • Silver Surfer 1
  • Spectacular Spider-Man 1
  • Sub-Mariner 1

I wasn't even aware of the Captain Savage and Mighty Marvel Western titles until I saw the registry set -- I decided to buy one of each because I'm a completist, but they really have very little to do with the rest of these books.  Spectacular Spider-Man is another odd entry on the list, as it's not a comic book but a magazine (the first of two issues).  This should not be confused with the Spectacular Spider-Man title that kicked off in 1976.

Also, although it's from 1966 not 1968, I sometimes consider Thor 126 to be an honorary member of this group, as it marked the end of the Journey Into Mystery title (albeit two years before these other books came out).

Hope this helps!

Another way to think of the Marvel 1968 explosion as a set groups just the new superhero series, which excludes Mighty Marvel Western,  Spectacular Spiderman, Captain Savage, Groovy, and the one shots Iron Man/Subby and the reprint book Tales of Asgard.

• Captain America 100
  • Captain Marvel 1
  • Doctor Strange 169
  • Incredible Hulk 102
  • Iron Man 1
  • Silver Surfer 1
  • Sub-Mariner 1
Edited by namisgr

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

Another way to think of the Marvel 1968 explosion as a set groups just the new superhero series, which excludes Mighty Marvel Western,  Spectacular Spiderman, Captain Savage, Groovy, and the one shots Iron Man/Subby and the reprint book Tales of Asgard.

Actually, CGC added a few in there. Marvel 1968 series starters.

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=58524

The Spectacular Spider-Man is a 2 book series (shrug)

Edited by Gotham Kid

I'm just saying that the way I look at the '68 Marvel explosion is through the eyes of a comic book Superhero fan, who doesn't believe a western reprint title, a short-lived war title, a short-lived humor title, a couple of one-shots (one of which is a numbering quirk and the other a reprint), or two issues of a magazine were part of it.  :sumo:  Perhaps the only one that deserves inclusion for my way of thinking is the Ironman/Subby one shot, serving as the bridge between the era of two heroes per book and the new solo titles for each hero.

I can also understand how CGC might want to build the registry set a bit larger and more inclusive, incentivizing the slabbing of additional books.

Edited by namisgr

Wow, thanks everyone, this is fantastic info! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and that link, that’s a cool resource I didn’t know about. 

I actually had no idea the original Hulk only ran for a few issues. That (along with Dr Strange and Captain America) is some confusing numbering 🤨 🙂

3 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Wow, thanks everyone, this is fantastic info! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and that link, that’s a cool resource I didn’t know about. 

I actually had no idea the original Hulk only ran for a few issues. That (along with Dr Strange and Captain America) is some confusing numbering 🤨 🙂

Yep.  Once you know that Cap 100 and Iron Man 1 (following the Ironman/Submariner one shot)  replaced and followed Tales of Suspense 99, Hulk 102 and Subby 1 replaced and followed Tales to Astonish 101, Dr. Strange 169 and Nick Fury 1 replaced and followed Strange Tales 168 it makes a lot more sense.

Edited by namisgr