• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your HORROR OA favorites
2 2

157 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Any idea who has the Sisters of Stone Death OA?  That's one I'd aim for...

No idea, sorry, I'm not really a MTG follower, I just like a lot of the artworks.  Your best bet is to join the MTG art market group  on FB to ask the question.

Me too.

Fantastic unforced framing device, leaving wonderful space for the title material.

That arm coming out of the shadows. The costumes on the corpses are inspired. The lighting on her fingertips. Not an overtly sexualized pose (Vampi’s costume notwithstanding) . I like it. Very cool.

:)

THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS & BARRACUDA (1978) double-bill movie poster painting by Tom Chantrell (needless to say, only the right hand side of the painting qualifies as Horror OA).  The 'Barracuda' half of the poster artwork is a re-working of the American one-sheet design by Joseph Smith.

LsjjoQBu_1307171204121sbpi.jpg

From the famous British movie production company, Hammer Films, notable for its revival of the Horror genre in the latter half of the 1950s comes this super-rare example of a surviving peak-period 1966 Movie Poster original painting by the company's favoured artist, Tom Chantrell.

With an image size measuring approximately 16" x 23.5", this is the uncensored painting that was presented to Hammer Films to spearhead its cinema front-of-house advertising campaign . Revisions on Chantrell's artwork were requested. The small vignettes, running along the bottom of the painting, were deemed too risqué (as one features a rape scene) and the figures of Rasputin and Sonia were reduced in size (and colour changed to green to complement the Monk's face at right) with new title lettering re-positioned to the upper left (see second image).  The changes for the censored poster release were executed by Chantrell utilizing re-sized stats taken directly from his original painting

VcmpkgzP_1708171919501sbpi.jpg

rasputin-poster.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Original US one-sheet painting (with the exception of a photographic inset on the axe's blade) for AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS! (1973). No idea who the artist is.  The artwork came without credit paste-ups, which would have been incorporated during the printing process.  I've added key captioned elements on a (removable) mylar overlay for presentation purposes

AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS! was a 1973 British gothic horror film. It was one of the few feature-length horror stories by Amicus, a company best known for anthology or "portmanteau" films.  The movie is pretty much in the vein of horror movies produced by its more famous competitor, Hammer Films.

Interestingly, I bought the artwork from Doug Murray - who is perhaps best known as a comic-book scripter for his work on The 'Nam.  Doug is a member of my Movie Poster original artwork FB group and he offered the painting for sale with us at a ridiculously low asking price a couple of years ago, which I very quickly snapped-up.

Gr8DcanR_1106181121151sbpi.jpg

Edited by The Voord