• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your HORROR OA favorites
2 2

157 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, artdealer said:

Thanks again!

It’s a great piece. 

As soon as I saw it on your site (iirc after you stopped doing catalogs), I was ON IT. Not cheap (for then) but I knew it was 'upper tier' for post-Frankenstein Wrightson ;)  and likely my only chance given my budget of the time to fly even that close to the sun (others would have had a four figure price tag on it...and it would have sat, and sat, and sat; we all know how that works lol )

Don't thank me ever for anything I bought through you - I'm always the one that came out ahead and I thank you!

Swamp Thing . I call the piece "Growing Pains." I have long admired the pieces Dave Wachter has created particularly of Swamp Thing. I asked him if he would be willing to draw Swamp Thing growing on the skeleton of Alec Holland, his eye lit up and he got super excited. After I saw the results I can see why. The piece is stunning and truly one of my favorite images of Swamp Thing ever. https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1395810

Swamp Thing Growing Pains by Dave Wachter.jpg

Interesting one, this . . .

Revised UK artwork, by Tom Chantrell, of the American 1965 cinema release movie poster painting by Reynold Brown for DIE, MONSTER, DIE!, using a high-quality copy of Brown's artwork as its basis.

For the UK release, a year later, the movie was re-titled, MONSTER OF TERROR, and was double-billed with THE HAUNTED PALACE.

Chantrell directly used a flipped copy of Reynold Brown's artwork, re-painting parts of it to modify the image for the UK release. I'd roughly estimate Chantrell's re-painting at around 35% of the overall image.

For whatever reason, the MONSTER OF TERROR half of the double-bill poster artwork was later removed from the overall painting and, at some stage, the revised artwork was badly folded - in the process losing parts of the pasted-up title and production credits. I had a paper conservator at Liverpool Museum eliminate most of the fold damage.

There appears to have been several versions of Chantrell's revised MONSTER OF TERROR artwork and have yet to track-down a poster design that fully-matches the artwork hereby displayed.

Basically, this was an inexpensive purchase for me, bought mainly for the cool image. The artwork was missing the bottom half of the movie's title lettering. I've photoshopped the missing part, which is not a good colour-match.

monst.jpg

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

Interesting one, this . . .

Revised UK artwork, by Tom Chantrell, of the American 1965 cinema release movie poster painting by Reynold Brown for DIE, MONSTER, DIE!, using a high-quality copy of Brown's artwork as its basis.

For the UK release, a year later, the movie was re-titled, MONSTER OF TERROR, and was double-billed with THE HAUNTED PALACE.

Chantrell directly used a flipped copy of Reynold Brown's artwork, re-painting parts of it to modify the image for the UK release. I'd roughly estimate Chantrell's re-painting at around 35% of the overall image.

For whatever reason, the MONSTER OF TERROR half of the double-bill poster artwork was later removed from the overall painting and, at some stage, the revised artwork was badly folded - in the process losing parts of the pasted-up title and production credits. I had a paper conservator at Liverpool Museum eliminate most of the fold damage.

There appears to have been several versions of Chantrell's revised MONSTER OF TERROR artwork and have yet to track-down a poster design that fully-matches the artwork hereby displayed.

Basically, this was an inexpensive purchase for me, bought mainly for the cool image. The artwork was missing the bottom half of the movie's title lettering. I've photoshopped the missing part, which is not a good colour-match.

monst.jpg

Hi Terry, How far can you go getting creative here with found art before the critics chime in?

Best, David