• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not sure what to do with Journey into Mystery 95

16 posts in this topic

Greetings Forums,

I just purchased a Journey into Mystery 95 for a couple hundred bucks, and I don't know if I should return it, grade it, press it/clean it and grade it....or just keep it. The book seems impossible to find, Has some chipping issues (which makes this more complicated for me). Surface is clean, book is already pretty flat. I'm thinking the press would clean up the spine ticks and improve the grade, which for me tops at 6.0 now. It would cost about 150 for me to press/clean/grade...and I would need a 7.0 to not loose money. Your valued opinion would be greatly appreciated.

jim95pg.jpg

Where are you getting the $150 value from? CGC/CCS value tier is about $50 combined per book. CGC shipping chart is about $30 for 1 book. Priority mail to them ~$13

If your main motivation is profit,  ss is immediate profit or do not mind holding onto the book as you never know when it could appreciate (poss a decade...)

I don't see how much of an affect pressing will have with spine ticks as those are colour breaking ones so your out of luck there from what I can see also you should probably read up on pressing as I see a few new people talking about pressing as a magical fix to comics that will increase your grade, before shelling out a few hundred in hopes you hit that magical # to make profit you should probably research more about grading and pick up a book that you believe would grade at the # you want if your hyperfocused on graded #'s where a lot of collectors specially on this forum appreciate the covers appearance over the grade # etc.. Also you should definitely research more on pressing and cleaning as cleaning doesn't remove staining and yellowing it removes dirt and dust on the comic other cleaning methods would result in a restoration label which many do not want. 

Multiple response......

I collect books that I love, covers that I love....and I'm an avid reader. I prefer higher grade books that I can sell without loosing money IF I HAVE TO. I'm  fine holding this book at 200, but would like to preserve it...if it makes sense to spend the money. The exact cost to grade and press (which includes the cleaning) at value/fast track is 133.30 plus the cost to ship the book to CGC. I was thinking that pressing the book would clean up the ticks.....more on the back of the book (which is white),...and give me a shot at a half grade improvement; but the chipping scares me that the book might take more damage if pressed. Do you guys think that pressing is not smart in this case, because the book is already flat? Also would pressing sharpen the corners (including the interior)? And I guess my last question is...….does the press remove the spine tick, obviously leaving the color break aftermath.....and will that improve the grade or is it a waist of money?

59 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I don't see how much of an affect pressing will have with spine ticks as those are colour breaking ones so your out of luck there from what I can see also you should probably read up on pressing as I see a few new people talking about pressing as a magical fix to comics that will increase your grade, before shelling out a few hundred in hopes you hit that magical # to make profit you should probably research more about grading and pick up a book that you believe would grade at the # you want if your hyperfocused on graded #'s where a lot of collectors specially on this forum appreciate the covers appearance over the grade # etc.. Also you should definitely research more on pressing and cleaning as cleaning doesn't remove staining and yellowing it removes dirt and dust on the comic other cleaning methods would result in a restoration label which many do not want. 

I agree with you. There may be a 0.5 improvement in there but probably not worth spending the money on. Not much for pressing to help with this book. 

47 minutes ago, DirkBill said:

Multiple response......

I collect books that I love, covers that I love....and I'm an avid reader. I prefer higher grade books that I can sell without loosing money IF I HAVE TO. I'm  fine holding this book at 200, but would like to preserve it...if it makes sense to spend the money. The exact cost to grade and press (which includes the cleaning) at value/fast track is 133.30 plus the cost to ship the book to CGC. I was thinking that pressing the book would clean up the ticks.....more on the back of the book (which is white),...and give me a shot at a half grade improvement; but the chipping scares me that the book might take more damage if pressed. Do you guys think that pressing is not smart in this case, because the book is already flat? Also would pressing sharpen the corners (including the interior)? And I guess my last question is...….does the press remove the spine tick, obviously leaving the color break aftermath.....and will that improve the grade or is it a waist of money?

generally creases that have colour breaking pressing can't help much when you think of pressing it will help creases or folds with colour to approve the overall appearance of the comic or to flatten it pressing does have its risks and dangers as well it can have staples pop or create tears near the staples and if its a old book that's fragile and could fall apart easily pressing it would make it worse and any pro pressor wouldn't press it anyways the most improvements with pressing is generally in the 0.5 -1.0 grade bumps obviously there would be exceptions to this. If you want to preserve for your collection just Slab it or put it into a Mylar with full back and store it properly in a room that's dry and cool with correct humidity etc... 

1 hour ago, DirkBill said:

I'm  fine holding this book at 200, but would like to preserve it...if it makes sense to spend the money.

You could do that with mylar, a fullback board, and storing it in the right conditions for paper storage for little cost. Why not use that $133.30 on another comic instead of shoving it in the CGC/CCS money sink, for very little gain.

1 hour ago, Jeffro™ said:

You could do that with mylar, a fullback board, and storing it in the right conditions for paper storage for little cost. Why not use that $133.30 on another comic instead of shoving it in the CGC/CCS money sink, for very little gain.

Exactly what I was thinking...

17 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

Bingo bang-o.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, Krishosein said:

the most improvements with pressing is generally in the 0.5 -1.0 grade bumps obviously there would be exceptions to this. 

A half to a full point in grade could mean really good money! More than enough to pay for the cost. You guys have convinced me to just keep the book and spend that money on getting another.....THANKS for the feedback!!

17 hours ago, DirkBill said:

A half to a full point in grade could mean really good money! More than enough to pay for the cost. You guys have convinced me to just keep the book and spend that money on getting another.....THANKS for the feedback!!

that's just a really really rough guess as it could even potential go the other way if damage occurs or staples pop or it can get no grade bump really. Sometimes there's an obvious benefit but sometimes its a tough call, if you unsure when submitting and you have the cash send it for a pre screen candidate for pressing.