• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why isn't Captain America 100 , white border title variant

41 posts in this topic

So I guess the answer to my question is - because nobody noticed it before?

:idea:

Feeling better about my first post (also feeling good because I forgot that my CGC username was "comics")...

Thanks all. I have 2 copies of the yellow (no whites), and have watched these for the past couple of years - nobody ever mentions it and there is zero price difference. 

I seem to remember there was an Avengers comic (#6 or 8 if I recall) that has a similar 'variant', I think a pink logo. Thanks for all the fun!

i used to collect gold chinese panda coins. the most favored grading company for them is NGC aka CGC. and in that particular hobby, many variations like this are noted on the label, and coin census numbers are often separated into "large date" and "small date" versions of the same coin, etc. 

while this is a significant difference, i would not be a fan of CGC starting to note this on the labels. it just doesn't seem that important to me. but i guess some people go nuts for the 35 cent variant books like star wars 1, so i imagine this kind of thing would appeal to that crowd, especially if one or the other type treatment was found to be much less common. 

It’s likely that the pressman was printing the cover when someone notice that the yellow was missing. They then stopped the press, made a new plate and printed with the correct color break-up.  The only question that comes to mind is how much was printed of the error variant? It looks like 2 out of every 5 are white variant. Judging by the number of correct copies to error white ones on the internet. If marvel had 40% subscription print run of out of 800,000 printed that will give us 320,000. Educational guess from information previously posted on these boards. Strangely 2/5 leaves us exactly 320,000 of white variant books. If you work in printing for a living you will know that the mailing list must get out first, that’s the bread and butter of the company. 

Conclusion: just a guess from printing experience 

320,000  were printed quickly to get the mailing out 

480,000 were printed with correct color plate 

Again guess of fussy math, you can arrive at your own conclusion 

Here are the correct numbers of postal mailing for captain America it was  243,798 taken from 1969 postal https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1969.html

‘it’s likely that 600,000 were printed of which possibly 40.5 percent were subscribers. 

Educational guess is that 

243,798 have white variant 

356,202 with yellow assuming that plate change took place after the mailing  

Again it’s only a guess, you can arrive on your own conclusions.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, tlconan said:

It looks like 2 out of every 5 are white variant.

I just looked at the first 60 I saw on the Heritage "sold archive".

Out of 60..... 10 were white and 50 were yellow.  That's not a huge sample size I guess, maybe you looked at more, but the ratio might be closer to 1 out of every 6 are white variants.

Edited by gadzukes

20 hours ago, tlconan said:

Here are the correct numbers of postal mailing for captain America it was  243,798 taken from 1969 postal https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1969.html

‘it’s likely that 600,000 were printed of which possibly 40.5 percent were subscribers. 

Educational guess is that 

243,798 have white variant 

356,202 with yellow assuming that plate change took place after the mailing  

Again it’s only a guess, you can arrive on your own conclusions.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Where do you people come from?

On 6/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's some similar examples from my old files (I had round 100 Spidey errors a one point):

This ASM #182 is missing the red inlay on the 'D':

330963277_182DMissingRed.PNG.ca94330eafdb08a82085dc6dc253f77c.PNG

And this one is missing part of the red exclamation mark that appears at the end of 'EVER' on most every other copy:

1052886781_182ExclamationOnlyMissing.thumb.PNG.09b9e59ac341e71a1d32878f789845bb.PNG

182.thumb.jpg.c8a203b3cda0afa093fb90810b79fc73.jpg

First, y'all are nuts. :facepalm:

Second, here's a double-error-yellow-D-inlay-AND-no-exclamation-point on ebay right now for 99 cents!!!

s-l1600.jpg